• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cessna key reproduction?

sj

Staff member
Northwest Arkansas
This is the key for a 1973 Cessna. How does one go about getting several duplicates made of it?20180604_161126.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• 20180604_161126.jpeg
    20180604_161126.jpeg
    64.6 KB · Views: 880
I stopped by our local hardware store and they tried their best to make a copy on one of the keys they had. And by gosh it worked. I now have 1 spare. Now that I know that one works, I should go get another one made.
I'd just start stopping at local hardware stores that does keys. Someone should be able to make one that works you'd think.

I believe there are Cessna key blanks for sale on ebay, then an auto parts store can possibly duplicate it.

Aircraft Spruce seems to have them also. I am going to try the big old hardware store owned by an aviator first!

sj

The only keys I've had for my Cessna are Cole aftermarket keys. When I changed my baggage door lock a locksmith friend took about 2 minutes to rekey the door to match the ignition key. It's generic stuff. Any decent locksmith shop should be able to figure it out.

I have a key machine and a mill :)

gets rid of worries of that "do not duplicate" keys

Can you duplicate from a picture? :lol: I used to be a maintenance guy at a hotel and made gillions of keys - the old school ones of course.

Steve,

find a a hardware store that duplicates snowmobile keys or pickup cap keys. I wanted a spare for my 66 H model, went to hardware store, and they informed me the blank was the same for pickup canopy. They made me a copy, but next time I was at the airport, I tried to start the plane with my pickup canopy key.....worked like a champ.

MTV

I had to pick up a 210 a number of years ago - no keys. FBO: no problem; here' five keys. One of them is bound to fit.

As I recall, it was the first one . . .

Back in the old days, General Motors cars had two keys one for ignition, and a second one with a round head one for glove box. The second key would fit many Bendix ignition switches used on older airplanes! Several times in a pinch an old Buick key got me flying!

Ditto. I've repossessed numerous aircraft for lessors and lenders with "box-o-keys". One of them is bound to fit and half the time a key that works is on my key ring. Aircraft locks are a joke. I always pad lock mine down with a cable when out of the hangar.

There are only about 10 Cessna key patterns and 2 out of the 10 will fit in any door or switch. I used to work at a flight school with about 40 Cessna aircraft. We had "box-o-keys" and it would not take long to find one to fit.

Ditto. I've repossessed numerous aircraft for lessors and lenders with "box-o-keys". One of them is bound to fit and half the time a key that works is on my key ring. Aircraft locks are a joke. I always pad lock mine down with a cable when out of the hangar. There are only about 10 Cessna key patterns and 2 out of the 10 will fit in any door or switch. I used to work at a flight school with about 40 Cessna aircraft. We had "box-o-keys" and it would not take long to find one to fit.

Don't tell people that!
You're gonna ruin some of the drama on that "Airplane Repo" so-called reality show.

Got it done at the local hardware store, first time, $2.57. Tried my pile of other Cessna keys first, and those belonging to another instructor.

Good suggestions folks!

sj

You may have better luck having a mobile locksmith come to the plane to make keys. They're better equipped to make keys when they have the lock available than when trying to duplicate what to them is an unusual key.

Most Cessna keys are the same blank as many file cabinets. I think Cessna only made about 3 or 4 key cuts. When I worked line service back in the early 1970s, I had 4 keys that would get me in any Cessna. Since the ignition locks were warn more than the Dorr locks, 2 keys would start most any of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back