• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Modern tail strobe for PA-12

Larry Huntley

Looking for a tailtop strobe for a PA-12. I would like something lightweight that doesn't need a big can on top of the tail. LED would be nice. Anyone know of anything available? Larry

Strobe or beacon? Whelen's approved LED beacons are really good. The best I could find when I was looking, and that included all the exp stuff.

Strobe or beacon? Whelen's approved LED beacons are really good. The best I could find when I was looking, and that included all the exp stuff.

Looked at the beacons. Would really like to find something that would just mount in the top of the post w/o needing a can up there. Thank you . Larry

I don't know how bright a strobe needs to be, but my J-3 has one of those battery operated xenon tube deals that Navy fliers carried in their vest pocket. I'll dig out a photo . . .

Use the Attlee Dodge fiberglass mount and a Whelen 70509 beacon. No welding to install the mount and no power supply for the beacon (power and ground wires only). Beacon weight is listed at .27 lbs. 14VDC and 28VDC versions along with choice of red, white, or red AND white lenses. This unit is actually lighter than some LED beacons.

Web

The top of the tail is the most effective location to mount a single beacon or strobe,
but a big wart up there sure ruins the attractive lines of an airplane--
whether it be a Cub, C180, or whatever.
My C150TD had a low-profile Aeroflash strobe head up on top,
it was frenched into the fin cap which minimized it's wartiness.

new paint 1 (2).JPG

Attachments

• new paint 1 (2).JPG
    new paint 1 (2).JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 170
The point of the light is to be seen, not to be invisible. I want the most effective recognition light I can get. How it looks on the ground is not a concern.

Then you probably want the "Comet Flash" setup on your wingtips. Pretty effective. My Dec has them - expensive!

Whelen Orions on my wingtips. Those came with my kit. Tail and forward lighting were for me to find. I shopped and compared and made my choices. The new LED stuff is impressive.

Back