View Poll Results: Do you Mark your float hatches as NO STEP ?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES, styepping on them damages the seal and ends civilization as we know it.

0 0%
  • NO, like Alex I can barely walk on floats when sober, much less the way I normally operate.

18 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Stepping on float-hatches poll.

Post Thanks / Like

Stepping on float-hatches poll.

I can't work outside anymore tonight because I have people in my guest cabin around my fire ring. So time for a Poll.

I have always put non-skid on my float hatches, even EDOs , because I am a clumsy klutz and I need all the help I can get.

HOWEVER, I have recently seen three sets of EDOs for sale with NO STEP stickers on every float hatch.

Well it will not let me edit the poll spelling... Figures...
    Thanks stknrddr thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    What do these hatches look like? The EDO 2960s did not come from EDO with hatches.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Inspection hatches. I always walked on mine. When I bought my 2000s they didn't have pump-outs. Imagine removing every inspection hatch before every flight. Not me. I added pump-outs immediately.

I replaced my aluminum hatches with transparent Lexan hatches on one set of floats. Those things were tough as nails. I don't remember where I got them. Hmm.

Post Thanks / Like
    The one place I would paint orange, NO STEP and jump people about was the aft area with cables and water rudder arms... everything else is fair game.

I find folks like to tinker, and painting NO STEP is a great afternoon activity with a beer in one hand, paint in another, and group of 'advisors' assisting.
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    If it’s on top of float decks, it’s going to get stepped on. Generally, a lot.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, if your pump out plugs stick up higher then the deck in a high traffic area the cups underneath will eventually crack.

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

Post Thanks / Like
    wouldnt it be nice in Pleasantville if no one ever did something to damage the decks of floats ever.

I say what Mike V says!
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Alex, After taking your poll, and then a cup of coffee, It really is a good question. One of the fondest memories of my life was picking up my new set of Baumann's, and not long after just a few hours, one of my bigger friends stepped directly on the float hatch latch, which is a quarter-turn lock ring. The grinding was like nails on a chalkboard to me. Now even though the Baumanns are stout. over the years your can only imagine the abuse. Plating wears off, simple rubbers seals get ripped just from ozone. So, it's always a battle to keep your floats nice. Also, in regards to a pre-flight matter, check those forward cross cables for elongated wear on the attach or shackles as you can't see
    that wear. I haven't fallen in yet but somebody large walking that cable would have been !!!!!!! at me!
    Blue Skies, ripplin waters,
    Denny
    If you get lost while flying, don't try hail a cop. Pick up the first railroad you find and hug it until you get somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sensei Pete, I guess with EDOs it would be Cover Assembly- 1575. Unless I could find the old style with the big knob which are 0120-1.

I am not sure what PK, Aerocet and CAP call them. Well I do know PK calls them a COVER. And since their screw down for extra difficult opening that makes sense. I grew up on fishing boats before serving on a Navy Frigate. Anything that opens semi-easily, that I can put any body part through looks like a hatch.

We had women folk in the house last night planning a wedding until midnight. I had to sample the wines and chocolate. My head hurts...

Oh I have these too. They probably count as real hatches.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-12-31 145 (1280x960).jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	408.6 KB 
ID:	37266   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-12-31 144 (1280x960).jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	314.4 KB 
ID:	37267  

Post Thanks / Like
    Thought so, they look like Kenmore's hatches for the 2000s.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flylowslow View Post
    Alex, After taking your poll, and then a cup of coffee, It really is a good question. One of the fondest memories of my life was picking up my new set of Baumann's, and not long after just a few hours, one of my bigger friends stepped directly on the float hatch latch, which is a quarter-turn lock ring. The grinding was like nails on a chalkboard to me. Now even though the Baumanns are stout. over the years your can only imagine the abuse. Plating wears off, simple rubbers seals get ripped just from ozone. So, it's always a battle to keep your floats nice. Also, in regards to a pre-flight matter, check those forward cross cables for elongated wear on the attach or shackles as you can't see
    that wear. I haven't fallen in yet but somebody large walking that cable would have been !!!!!!! at me!
    Blue Skies, ripplin waters,
    Denny

The aluminum brackets that the walk cable attaches to wore through on mine....the hole broke out and SPLASH! I got wet....and I got laughed at. Can you believe that? People laughed. Lol....so, watch those aluminum brackets.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good way to keep everyone else off the hatches
    Thanks barrow pilot thanked for this post

Spokane Felts Field, WA/Poplar Grove, (Chicago) IL
    Post Thanks / Like
    I walk all over mine, but then again I did not get my floats to polish them. I got em to use, and I've used the snot out of them and loved every minute.

I will say, however, that I get a lot more water in the floats from the top than the bottom. If it is not raining (kinda rare in the SE) the float compartments are pretty dry. If it is raining, even if it is parked on asphalt, it is amazing how much water I can pump out. There is a SB on the Wip floats to replace the float hatch covers to improve this issue. I have not done that SB yet. The hatches go from .020 to .025 plus they have a break on the edges to help them seal better. Maybe next year.

Bill
    Very Blessed.
    Likes Delta Cub liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Aercetts have the same issue- more rain from the top inside!
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    I was lucky and actually found the right size O-rings at one of the local marine hydraulic shops. The new plugs are all wired as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-12-31 158 (1280x960).jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	324.9 KB 
ID:	37274  
    Likes Bill Rusk liked this post