• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Oil Temperature Bulb Bushing

KiwiCub

New Zealand
Can anyone provide a good part number for the oil temperature gauge bulb bushing that screws into the oil filter housing and the temperature bulb screws into that?

Hopefully what I am talking about will become clear from the attached photo.

Thanks,
Andrew.

Attachments

• 150 Cub oil filter.jpg
    150 Cub oil filter.jpg
    335 KB · Views: 196
auto store.. (Scott part I think)

there are 2 different styles....

Univair might have then too

or call stoddard's in anchorage

yep, different styles for different temp gauges. colorado airparts in delta colorado. what brand gauge do you have? some have a angled taper on the inside for the bulb some need a flat shouldered adapter.

Last edited:
yep, different styles for different temp gauges. colorado airparts in delta colorado. what brand gauge do you have? some have a angled taper on the inside for the bulb some need a flat shouldered adapter.

I have the original combination gauge. US Gauge I think.

Andrew.

I have several of the oil screen housing made for the original oil temp bulb Piper used that were removed when I installed oil filter adapters. I get the adapter for the temp bulb for the oil filter adapter from Casper Labs who make the oil filter adapters. B&C also has them but will only sell them to you if you have their oil filter adapter.

Attachments

• IMG_20180526_110818.jpg
    IMG_20180526_110818.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_20180526_110836_1.jpg
    IMG_20180526_110836_1.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_20180526_110852.jpg
    IMG_20180526_110852.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 156
The other type has a 5/8”-18 TPI straight thread.
IMG_20180526_110827.jpg
I didn't have another brass capillary tube adapter that wasn't installed but it adapts the capillary temp probe like Piper used to the newer 5/8”-18 TPI threads. This is one I just installed on a Casper Labs oil filter adapter. They are $18 from Casper Labs.
1527352352717.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_20180526_110827.jpg
    IMG_20180526_110827.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 175
  • 1527352352717.jpg
    1527352352717.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 174
Many years ago I embarrassed myself trying to replace a defective combination gauge. The thread sizes are so close it is truly easy to see how an otherwise half-smart mechanic could be baffled.

I run mostly the small Continentals with the adapter in the oil screen. I keep one of each, and do a trial fit before changing a gauge - I can only tell the difference by feel.

The other type has a 5/8”-18 TPI straight thread.
View attachment 37245
I didn't have another brass capillary tube adapter that wasn't installed but it adapts the capillary temp probe like Piper used to the newer 5/8”-18 TPI threads. This is one I just installed on a Casper Labs oil filter adapter. They are $18 from Casper Labs.
View attachment 37246

Steve,

What is the part number of the oil filter housing without the shoulder for the bulb? All I have is 62815's which have the shoulder in my picture attached. The bushings I have (which aren't original ones) bottom out on this shoulder.

Casper Labs don't seem to have an internet presence. All I could find was something to do with beds....

Cheers,
Andrew.

Attachments

• IMG_3210.jpeg
    IMG_3210.jpeg
    165.4 KB · Views: 116
That is the same part number I have. You don't need a bushing, screw the capillary in and go.

Yes, and that is the way it is flying around at the moment - see attached pic. But I have no oil temperature indication. The gauge was checked before installation and I have checked it still works since, in the plane with a hot air gun (in case I broke the capillary). The consensus with other LAME's I have talked to is that the bulb is too far in.

My late father had been involved with Super Cubs since they first arrived in New Zealand back in the 50's. Back in the day, every time we rebuilt a Super Cub my father would extract from the cupboard at the back of the hangar one of these special bushings and explain the oil temperature gauge wouldn't work without it. This whole process happened with much drama and an explanation that these bushings weren't in the parts book. Being anxious to get it flying and too young and stupid to ask more, like where in the heck you get them, I would just take the part and fit it. Now he is now not here to ask.

On my mate's Super Cub in post #1 he has the same part number oil filter housing, a bushing and his gauge works, as did all the other Cubs we had. Maybe things function differently in the southern hemisphere.......

Andrew.

Attachments

• IMG_3242.jpeg
    IMG_3242.jpeg
    190.6 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
I have 6 of those 62815 housings and theres no evidence of any adapter nut ever used, its got the taper in the bottom on all of them thats needed for the capillary tube. all the others that use the vernatherm need an adapter, theres no tapered seat. straight in. still a dummy, learned something today. cant see how an adapter would make any difference for temp indication. hope to learn something here also. forgot to ask is that a crush washer under that hex nut?

Last edited:
I have 6 of those 62815 housings and theres no evidence of any adapter nut ever used, its got the taper in the bottom on all of them thats needed for the capillary tube. all the otheres that use the vernatherm need an adapter, theres no tapered seat. straight in. still a dummy, learned something today. cant see how an adapter would make any difference for temp indication. hope to learn something here also.

Yeah, I've got about six of them too! I would like the "other" part number like what Steve showed as the adapter nuts I have should fit into those.

You won't see "evidence" of adapter nut use on the housing; it leaves the same footprint as the bulb nut. You can't tell on the six I have either and I'm sure many if not all of them would've been operated with the adapter nut.

As for "can't see how an adapter nut would make any difference", me too, but we always fitted them and I want to try one and settle this once and for all. I don't want to buy and fit another gauge when as far as I can tell the one I have is OK and original.

Andrew.

You got me. Never seen one with the taper that had an adapter installed. I do know the straight thread won't seal correctly unless you have the adapter installed.

gotta also ask did it work and then quit or what brought this on? because now im wondering if theres circulation of the oil? thats only if your 100 percent certain of the gauge.

KiwiCub, replace the whole housing with a B&C oil adapter which uses Champion screw on oil filters. You'll never look back.

I like the original guage you have and when mine failed (you said yours works, so this is for future reference) I tried to have it repaired locally. Bad move.

I then sent it to John Wolf Instruments in the States and it came back looking like new and worked beautifully for about $250 USD if my memory is correct.

When I inherited a Cub off my father I started from a very low knowledge base. Lot's of basic questions from me on this website over the last 15 years and of the many things I changed or fixed the above was the best change I made.

Good luck.

what oil temp gauge is being used in the first post? if i have a handle on this that 62815 housing should not be used with a adapter and someone is making something work.

Back