Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Supercub and Mogas

Laporte, Minnesota and the white sandy beaches of NW Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    180Marty, Maybe a little off topic here, but I am curious if Iowa's fuel has a different blend than surrounding states. Maybe a strange question, having traveled through Iowa many times, both my gas and diesel powered vehicles get less mpg when I buy my fuel there. I am very strict on keeping records on gallons used and my F-350 get 2-3 mpg less and the car got even less mpg. Not a large test, maybe 6-8 times and I always noticed less mileage.

Back to using mogas in airplanes. I have used it off and on for 30 years and the only problem I ever had was a leaky primer. Can't officially blame it on using mogas though. Maybe it was just old.

Post Thanks / Like
    All I know is 84 and 91 octane are what come up the pipeline from refineries down south. Not sure if those are different from other states or not. My cousin has a late model full size diesel Dodge pickup with all the emission stuff like it left the factory and he gets 28 mpg with Iowa diesel---I didn't think that was too bad. Were you bucking a headwind?

Post Thanks / Like
    When we fish spotted in 80/90s with Cubs and 0 320s the boats brought us 55 gal drums of "car gas" ( before ethanol) and we chamois every drop and it ran fine however lots of engines after 4/5 drums would have
    A valve of two starting to drag in a guide. When started
    You would start to get the John Deere tractor sound as
    The valve timing and ignition timing started to part company. One quart of MMO added to a drum of fuel,
    would not only straighten that right out, but you would
    Not have it again. I am with Glen on this one. It flat works.
    Possibly kerosine will as well??? I have no way of knowing. The 50/50 blend of 100/ non ethanol seams to
    Be widely accepted . I think there is good chance 30% av
    gas is ample for valve lubrication but thats just our 2cw.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 180Marty View Post
    Ethanol and agriculture groups sued the EPA on Tuesday in response to the agency's recent approval of small-refinery waivers from the Renewable Fuel Standard. "We want EPA to explain why it is reasonable for HollyFrontier, which apparently could not afford to comply with the RFS, could nonetheless afford to undertake a $1 billion stock share repurchase program during the same time -- and that's before the company received over $300 million in tax cuts last year. Likewise, the petitioners would like to understand how EPA could find hardship at CVR Energy, which reported a $23 million profit in the biofuels credit market in the first quarter of 2018 due to what it called a lower RFS obligation."
    Reading through this old but recently posted on again thread:
    Sounds to me like the ethanol and agriculture groups are whining because some refiners are no longer going to be forced to buy their product.
    Like I've said before, get rid of the mandates and let the ethanol sell (or not) on it's own merits.
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cruiser View Post
    I run a mix of ethanol free and avgas not because of concern for my valves but because straight car gas runs so dirty in my engine. Tailpipe is sooty and no amount of aggressive leaning cures it, cannot be good overall. I also have about 2 gph less fuel flow at wide open throttle climb out as compared with either 100 or a 50/50 mixture which is my usual blend. Dunno the reason for that or whether it is good or bad.
    Personally I don't care too much about whether my tailpipes are sooty,
    as long as my plugs burn clean (which they do).
    And
    I'd say lower fuel burn is a good thing....if your rpm and climb rate are the same.
    (which is unfortunately probably not the case)
    I have never noticed any power / performance loss when burning mogas--
    even when I burned 100% mogas .
    My usual blend is 75-80% mogas with 20-25% 100LL.
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!