• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

New spar flap hinges

Tango Cub

GONE WEST
Duluth MN
Hi I Have ran into a snag building my new super cub wings, I have installed new spars and false spars. The one wing has Univar spars the other wing has the Dakota Cubs spars, The aileron and flap hinge holes in the spars are approximately .100” lower than the other spar. They both have new Univar flap hinges. I have the aileron hinges set on the false spar and the ailerons line up with the wing. I have been trying to get the flaps to line up with the wing and ailerons. With the holes in the spa different, the hinges on the faults spar can not be adjusted far enough to where they need to be to for the flap to line up. Has anyone had this problem before? Any advice how to get them to line up. How much can they be off from the ailerons? Thanks Br

Also, univar spars have the rear spar attach hole at a different height than original Piper spar. There is one stc that part of it is to BEND hangers to along them(pa-12 long flap install by day & night, now Aircraft Innovations)

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Is there a good way to bend the hanger to get it bent in the right place and not bend too much?

I have built a lot of wings with Piper, Univair and Dakota Cub spars and never had an issue lining up the ailerons or flaps. With the hinge bolted to the spar I install the false spar and then the ailerons and flaps with a channel clamped to the bottom of the ribs to align the aileron and flap with the bottom of the wing and back drill the aileron and flap hinges to the false spar. Can you post some pictures? Pictures about a 1/4 of the way down this web album.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ptQXfna4fZUmqRXl2

I lay the wings on a flat table bolt the hinge to the rear spar then lay the flap on the table and bolt to the hinge then back drill the hinge to the false spar.

OK Pierce you got me just put that little wedge under the end of the wing we all know where it goes...

Folks

While doing a trial fit of the false spar and flap and aileron hinges I found that the inboard flap hinge hung at a different angle to that from the outboard one which prevented the inboard flap false spar from fitting - both were bolted securely and neither show any damage.

After some head scratching I put a line accross the trailing edge of the ribs to ascertain the difference - see photos.

IMG_4895[1].jpgIMG_4894[1].jpg
Outboard Inboard

Has anybody come accross this before? - I presume the fix will be a new hinge.

Thanks all

Frank

Attachments

• IMG_4895[1].jpg
    IMG_4895[1].jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_4894[1].jpg
    IMG_4894[1].jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 92
I would remove the two flap hinges and compare them closely. Probably compressed or stretched at the end where the 5/16" bolt attaches to the spar.

Thank you Steve - you got me looking in the right place - here's what I found

the good one
IMG_4897[1].JPG

The bad one
IMG_4900[1].JPG

the previous 'repairer?' must have left the bolt loose and tightened it after the false spar was installed until the hinge was jammed against it. I don't remember if it was loose when I took the wing apart. So a new one it is.

Frank

Attachments

• IMG_4897[1].JPG
    IMG_4897[1].JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_4900[1].JPG
    IMG_4900[1].JPG
    161.4 KB · Views: 86
Thanks for the picture story! What do you use to attach the hanger to the false spar? They were mostly rivets when I drilled them out to clean the hangers, some screws/nuts. Your picture looks like either philips head screw or a cherry max.

Back