• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

North to Alaska

cplne

Leaving Saturday with the 185 and PA12 Dallas to Anchorage planning on the low route through Wyoming and clearing in Lethbridge. Any recommendations for a fuel stop between Lethbridge and Dawson Creek. The guys will not want to deal with Calgary approach. Weather permitting I might try clearing at Cranbrook but will need advice on fuel say if we head for Dawson Creek. The 12 has ABW31s and a Boare prop so maybe 80 kts 250 NM

Last edited by a moderator:
Grand Prairie is a good stop, good fuel prices for Canada, good place to spend the night, lots of hotel choices, restaurants, etc.
Spent nights there coming and going last couple years.
John

Fill up in Cut Bank. Clear at CEQ4 right at the border. Nice long grass strip. Lethbridge has a landing fee.

What's your trip about to AK? Delivery of a plane or just feeling the urge. Anyways, need a place to change oil, crash the night, no frills hanger available. I'm on the Big Lake air strip, frig is always filled with beer.....Scott

No, we have a remote property up near Lake Creek. If you are out that way stop at the Bentaliat, we are directly across from the Northwoods

I really liked stopping at Rocky Mountain House airport. It's a friendly place. I recommend going there if it falls on the right spot on the map for you.

Dawson Creek last night on to Whitehorse today. Entire trip from Dallas have had a headwind doing a whopping 70 mpg ground speed. Stopped in Rocky Mountain House and had a nice visit with Ken Fowler, self serv fuel. With these winds it’s doubtful I can make Northway then Tok for fuel. Anybody know if there is a operator either in a Burwash or Haines Junction that could spare 15 gallons? Last resort is I’ll buy some cans in Whitehorse and drop them in Burwash in my 185.

Dawson Creek last night on to Whitehorse today. Entire trip from Dallas have had a headwind doing a whopping 70 mpg ground speed. Stopped in Rocky Mountain House and had a nice visit with Ken Fowler, self serv fuel. With these winds it’s doubtful I can make Northway then Tok for fuel. Anybody know if there is a operator either in a Burwash or Haines Junction that could spare 15 gallons? Last resort is I’ll buy some cans in Whitehorse and drop them in Burwash in my 185.

There is no fuel in Burwash. No commercial fuel sales in Haines Junction either. But there is an operator in Haines Junction with Cessna's and they told me before they'd sell me 100LL if I got in a pinch. Nice guys there and the FSS guy there is very helpful too.

You could probably find a way to get car gas in Beaver Creek. The town is close to the airport and the airport is along the highway.

There is no fuel in Burwash. No commercial fuel sales in Haines Junction either. But there is an operator in Haines Junction with Cessna's and they told me before they'd sell me 100LL if I got in a pinch. Nice guys there and the FSS guy there is very helpful too.

You could probably find a way to get car gas in Beaver Creek. The town is close to the airport and the airport is along the highway.

If you can make it to Gulkana for fuel from Whitehorse, you can get an ok from customs in Anchorage to stop there for fuel and clear in at Anchorage International. Did it last summer going north.
John

I’ll be heading up in my Sedan in July and have the same dilemma from Whitehorse to Tok. Will probably get a couple of the Airframes bladders for a little extra range.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Haines Junction has been good to get fuel from, Sifton Air I believe was the company. Call ahead!

Also, if the weather is good, take the victor airway direct to Northway from Whitehorse and you can save 100 miles.

Well, how was the leg from Whitehorse north?

Any update on how the leg to Tok worked out for you?

Last edited:
Good onya Eddie.Remember when playing for the Crows one night you wanted to take on that big, ugly Collingwood ruckman. A few of us when looking for a chair for you to stand on.

I should have followed up. The wife was able to get the air taxi at Burwash to sell us some gas. That left us plenty of fuel to clear customs in Northway and continue to Tok for a fill up. Tok was a good stop with a restaurant directly across from the air taxi. On to Gulkana self service fuel. Landed Lake a Hood by 3 pm. I do this trip every year in the 185 and usually take a different route to keep things interesting. This route was perfect for my wife and the 12. The biggest challenge was Ft Nelson to Watson with forest fires, smoke and water bombers. I highly recommend the trip

Back