• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

185 Lower Cowl Install

Henny

FRIEND
Ely, MN
What procedure, tricks, tools, etc., do you guys/gals use to reinstall an early model (185C) lower cowl by yourself? Ratchet straps? Floor jack? Front fasteners in first/last? Don't have an engine hoist, but I could see using that and some ratchet straps. Appreciate everyone's insight.

Slip it upto catch the front baffle seals and rest most of the weight on the exhaust pipe. I can easily hold it up with one hand to latch a fastener on each side. Done it a hundred times with no damage or even a close call.

I use a small stool and a cardboard box to get it close and hold it for the first pair of fasteners. Works on Mooney and Decathlon, too. What I hate is the cowl flaps and that darn air duct. Getting too old to do situps while turning a wrench.

It is farily easy to remove by oneself, but to this day, I grab a hangar neighbor to reinstall it ('57).

assuming the top cowling is off....do what Stewart does!

top cowling not off? take it off and put bottom on first

if yu are careful yu will not scratch any thing

As long as once you engage the exhaust pipe, you keep some pressure against the cowl from low on the right, it won't drop. A little lift at the rear to engage a fastener on the right side and you're home free.

I fiddled with that lower cowling for who knows how long after changing the oil last night. I finally forced it on, but the right cowl flap was stuck and I couldn't get the induction air scat tubing attached, so I gave up when it got too late. Post a question, get an immediate answer, and I went back this afternoon and dropped it again and reinstalled it according to Stewart's advice, and had it back on with cowl flaps working and all tubing hooked up in less than 15 minutes. What a great resource this website is. Thanks Stewart (and Dave, Bob and Jeff) for the input. Much appreciated.

Back