• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Don's Dream Machines

rideandfly

Debbie and I had the privilege to visit with Don, Lee, and the folks in the cover/paint shop yesterday at Don's Dream Machines, (EKY) Bessemer Airport AL.

They're going to work on the C-85 in our Vagabond.

Visited their cover/paint shop where they had at least four projects. Saw a finished Cub project that has already received more than one Grand Champion award. Needless to say it was beautiful.

Lee on the left with Don:

Could not pass up taking photos of this rare and beautifully restored de Havilland Dove with Lycoming 720s for power.

One Fine Cub:

Last edited:
1) I thought Don retired and/or closed / sold the business.
2) ingenious way to store airplanes, on their nose to take up minimum space.
I think I saw a photo once of a bunch of airplanes stored that way, when GA was shut down on the west coast during WW 2.
3) I really like those old-fangled "Strong as the Nation" prop plates.
Does anyone know if they are available for sale somewhere?

Prop.jpg
I found this one at the fly mart at Oshkosh in the mid 90s. No idea why the picture is sideways.

Attachments

• Prop.jpg
    Prop.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 253
Don Wade is one of the new owners of Don's Dream Machines. Don is on the right in the above photo. Believe Don and his brother already owned C&D aviation in Bessemer AL. They are fabric airplane people! They rebuilt the EAA raffle Cub for EAA Air Venture this year, it's on the cover of April 2018 EAA Sport Aviation magazine.

Don will be attending Sentimental Journey next month, too.

Bet Don knows where to get the Continental propeller plates. I would like one, but don't believe it will work with my tapered crankshaft.

Last edited:
1) I thought Don retired and/or closed / sold the business.
2) ingenious way to store airplanes, on their nose to take up minimum space.
I think I saw a photo once of a bunch of airplanes stored that way, when GA was shut down on the west coast during WW 2.

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/plane...es-save-space/

attachment.php

I think the prop plates were covered with that steel piece. I like the looks of the tapered shaft, so my Stroker has a brass replica of the prop hub nut.

Yours has a great price compared to the one I found! Nice work!

This is the one on eBay

I am offering a Very Nice, Unused Continental A65, 85, 90, O200 Propeller Cover Plate. Acid Etched, Stainless Steel, this is substantial, not just a thin aluminum plate, but 1/4 Stainless deeply etched in two colors. It fits on top of the crush plate and is held in place by the hold down bolts. Highlight your aircraft with "Powerful as a Nation".

Glenn

This is the one on eBay

I am offering a Very Nice, Unused Continental A65, 85, 90, O200 Propeller Cover Plate. Acid Etched, Stainless Steel, this is substantial, not just a thin aluminum plate, but 1/4 Stainless deeply etched in two colors. It fits on top of the crush plate and is held in place by the hold down bolts. Highlight your aircraft with "Powerful as a Nation".

Glenn

Glenn,

See the reason for the price difference.

Thanks,

I got busy on amazon and found not only a Continental shop sign, but also a Cessna shop sign and a Continental key chain tag (modified from a lapel pin).

Continental key fob.jpg

Attachments

• Continental key fob.jpg
    Continental key fob.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 186
Back