Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whirlwind Prop Owners

Post Thanks / Like
    Got my BalanceMaster already for the Rotax, they really did ship it out the same day I called them, nice. First thing I did was rattle it, expecting to hear "bb's" in there, nope. Then read the info, they use some semi liquid goop, "Quicksilver" they call it, and though I doubt it's mercury, (can you imagine the enviro hassles with shipping if nothing else) but something more benign. My Centramatic balancers on my crane truck are bb like, I like this goop concept better, so far so good. 10 ozs. weight, I can live with that, more for the Lyc versions but notmyproblem. Bad weather next couple days here, so it will be on for my next flight. But, I'm now in that between stage where too much snow is gone on my runway for a ski takeoff, but too much for a wheeled takeoff, at least with the little 6:00's my Datum's use. If I rush to put the 29" Airstreaks back on, I'll regret it when flying up to where there is still LOTS of snow. Might be a week or 10 days before things settle out.

My work rig may get them on the drive shaft/shafts, they make them for just that purpose also it turns out, interesting.
    Likes flyrite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel your pain. I pulled my datums, and back on the 8.50s. Ice is sill pretty perfect, at least for on tires. I've been on a cycle.

Get tires muddy taxiing out from hangar. Take off on pavement. Go play on the ice and get the tires all clean.

Very curious how your balancemasters works out. I'm still planning a whirlwind... but I may wait till fall.

JP

Post Thanks / Like
    Any more info on dynamic balance (DynaVibe) vs balancemasters. I am preparing for new experimental cub with O-370? Anyone in Anchorage area with a dynavibe to rent/borrow?

Post Thanks / Like
    Just continued satisfaction with the BalanceMaster on the Rotax. Minor cost and weight, why not give it a try? And, now that I think of it, just yesterday I had two tires on my boom truck replaced, and I saved a few bucks by the tire shop NOT balancing them the old school way, the Centramatics it has do it automatically, better, and adjust for changing conditions. I'm sold on the concept, be it truck tires or airplane props.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vj88 View Post
    Any more info on dynamic balance (DynaVibe) vs balancemasters. I am preparing for new experimental cub with O-370? Anyone in Anchorage area with a dynavibe to rent/borrow?
    About a year and a half ago I had a conversation with the head engineer at Whirl Wind Aviation about my CS prop and prop balancing, which they strongly recommend. I asked about the Balance Master ring and he looked it up on the web while we were talking. He hadn’t heard of it but said he thought it was a great idea. With that opinion I bought one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartb View Post
    About a year and a half ago I had a conversation with the head engineer at Whirl Wind Aviation about my CS prop and prop balancing, which they strongly recommend. I asked about the Balance Master ring and he looked it up on the web while we were talking. He hadn’t heard of it but said he thought it was a great idea. With that opinion I bought one.
    And..... how has it worked out for you?

Post Thanks / Like
    Motor recall. My plane sits waiting. But I visited with a couple of friends today and my Balance Master is going on one of their planes since mine won't fly for a few months. Looking forward to their pirep. Until then I'll defer to Ted Waltman who bought one right after me. I believe he's pleased. I anticipate I'll have one installed with the new motor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Installed the Balance Master on a Lycoming 409 engine the had less than perfect propeller balance. The results are simply amazing. Smoothed everything out. Need to buy two more- one to replace Stewart’s and one for my plane.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of
    that comes from bad judgment. will rodgers

"Anyone who would give up liberty for safety deserves neither" Ben Franklin
    Likes mike mcs repair, flyrite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I do have a Balance Master on my IO-375 w/ Whirlwind CS prop. Very smooth. Good product. Recommended.
    Likes courierguy, flyrite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Whirlwind Prop Owners

Says 4 ozs for the rotax on their website and aircraft spruce shows 1.26 lbs for Lycoming in their questions area. Interesting product.
    Last edited by vj88; 10-29-2019 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Updated weight