• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Whirlwind Prop Owners

the weight would be the only drawback, screw the cost it's only airplane money.

Tom, Weight has to be close to a backing plate weight. Also can be taken from plane to plane or prop to prop. Dynamically balances through out the rpm’s stead of just what the motor will static. The company offers a money back guarantee.
One of the few products I found out there that ain’t snake oil sales!

A no brainer for me, as I explained to the factory rep I was already a believer in the concept, I had to interrupt him as he explained the benefits, with "how soon can you ship me one?" Good customer service, he seemed like a true believer not just a sales guy, and mentioned cert models coming out for the non exp. types.

I put a similar product on all three axles of my crane truck last year http://www.centramatic.com/balancers.rhtml and am very happy with the results. I did a lot of research first, and other then the initial cost, heard nothing bad. Exact same concept on the prop, makes perfect sense to me, the weight would be the only drawback, screw the cost it's only airplane money.

5 minutes later.....bought one, shipping today! And I had a good conversation with the company rep, they are looking for feedback from a Rotax install and I told him I would give him an earful. I will also blab the results around the Rotax crowd.

Friday I had $600.00 worth of front end alignment work done on my crane truck, then after that I had my front tires ($900.00 each) broke down and swapped side to side, just like I do every year with my Airstreaks, NOT just rotated. The tire shop noticed the Centramatic balancers and didn't bother to balance them in the traditional fashion, they said I was good to go as the balancers do a better job then they can!

Some guys around here run a golf ball in each tire

Glenn

I used dynabeads on my 85 4Runner once. Had a set of brand new tires with a crappy balance job put on a Saturday. I left for a road trip the next day so I gave them a shot after a painful Sunday of avoiding highway speeds.

Made the situation worse, ended up having to arrange dropping the truck off at a local place to have them removed and the tires rebalanced.

They said they haven’t seen them work in most cases, but that may be a biased viewpoint: why would anyone take a vehicle with dynabeads that are working to a tire shop?

This was on 31 10.5 R15 BFG tires. Just my one experience.

I’ve got a set of GY 26” blimp tires and one needs balancing, how do most folks do it?

Use glue in patch weights, Look up Patchrubber company, I can not post the link.

Got my BalanceMaster already for the Rotax, they really did ship it out the same day I called them, nice. First thing I did was rattle it, expecting to hear "bb's" in there, nope. Then read the info, they use some semi liquid goop, "Quicksilver" they call it, and though I doubt it's mercury, (can you imagine the enviro hassles with shipping if nothing else) but something more benign. My Centramatic balancers on my crane truck are bb like, I like this goop concept better, so far so good. 10 ozs. weight, I can live with that, more for the Lyc versions but notmyproblem. Bad weather next couple days here, so it will be on for my next flight. But, I'm now in that between stage where too much snow is gone on my runway for a ski takeoff, but too much for a wheeled takeoff, at least with the little 6:00's my Datum's use. If I rush to put the 29" Airstreaks back on, I'll regret it when flying up to where there is still LOTS of snow. Might be a week or 10 days before things settle out.

My work rig may get them on the drive shaft/shafts, they make them for just that purpose also it turns out, interesting.

I feel your pain. I pulled my datums, and back on the 8.50s. Ice is sill pretty perfect, at least for on tires. I've been on a cycle.

Get tires muddy taxiing out from hangar. Take off on pavement. Go play on the ice and get the tires all clean.

Very curious how your balancemasters works out. I'm still planning a whirlwind... but I may wait till fall.

JP

Any more info on dynamic balance (DynaVibe) vs balancemasters. I am preparing for new experimental cub with O-370? Anyone in Anchorage area with a dynavibe to rent/borrow?

Just continued satisfaction with the BalanceMaster on the Rotax. Minor cost and weight, why not give it a try? And, now that I think of it, just yesterday I had two tires on my boom truck replaced, and I saved a few bucks by the tire shop NOT balancing them the old school way, the Centramatics it has do it automatically, better, and adjust for changing conditions. I'm sold on the concept, be it truck tires or airplane props.

Any more info on dynamic balance (DynaVibe) vs balancemasters. I am preparing for new experimental cub with O-370? Anyone in Anchorage area with a dynavibe to rent/borrow?

About a year and a half ago I had a conversation with the head engineer at Whirl Wind Aviation about my CS prop and prop balancing, which they strongly recommend. I asked about the Balance Master ring and he looked it up on the web while we were talking. He hadn’t heard of it but said he thought it was a great idea. With that opinion I bought one.

About a year and a half ago I had a conversation with the head engineer at Whirl Wind Aviation about my CS prop and prop balancing, which they strongly recommend. I asked about the Balance Master ring and he looked it up on the web while we were talking. He hadn’t heard of it but said he thought it was a great idea. With that opinion I bought one.
And..... how has it worked out for you?

Motor recall. My plane sits waiting. But I visited with a couple of friends today and my Balance Master is going on one of their planes since mine won't fly for a few months. Looking forward to their pirep. Until then I'll defer to Ted Waltman who bought one right after me. I believe he's pleased. I anticipate I'll have one installed with the new motor.

Installed the Balance Master on a Lycoming 409 engine the had less than perfect propeller balance. The results are simply amazing. Smoothed everything out. Need to buy two more- one to replace Stewart’s and one for my plane.

Says 4 ozs for the rotax on their website and aircraft spruce shows 1.26 lbs for Lycoming in their questions area. Interesting product.

Last edited:
Back