• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Small hotrod caliber cartridges

If the Military adopts that, maybe we'll start seeing a bigger selection of 270 bullets unless they go 276.

My go to deer gun is a browning in 7mm-06. Aka the great .280 remington. My yoter is now a remington 788 in 22-250.

I've got a 22-250 AI reamer. I think the 30* shoulders are better though. Wish I had some reamers with 30* shoulders other than the 6 SLR.

I've had a M77 Ruger .204 for 10 years now and love its performance. At time of introduction it was the fastest off the shelf cartridge available, over 4000 MV with the 32 grain Hornady factory ammo. That said, it tended to loose accuracy after 20 shots or so that I theorize was due to copper fouling in the barrel. The 40 grain bullet at around 3900 MV would stay accurate much longer. 300 yard shots at sage rats in SE Oregon were amazing. Coyotes to 400 yds were also easy shots. I put a 6 x 20 scope on it. I'm hoping to have the opportunity to hunt wolves with it one of these days. I shot a sitting bobcat in the sternum and could not find the entry hole until I skinned it. There was no exit hole and its chest cavity was a MESS! Its a killer round.

Mike
I have 3 rifles in 204 ruger. My first and best is a Cooper single shot that shoots well under 1/4” it likes Sierra ballistic kings in both 32 and 39 grain and will shoot hornady factory ammo good and Hunting Shack ammo great. Next I bought a Ruger 77 mk11 that was nearly new. It shot terrible so I put a trigger basics trigger and a HS precision stock. It’s ok, maybe 3/4 on its best day but tends to copper foul fairly fast,it’s a great pickup gun.
Last I had a Remington 722-222 that I bought 40 years ago and finally shot the barrel out of that I took to Dennis Olson up in Plains Mt last Spring. Wow he put a Lilja barrel on it,fluted and blued it and shot it in a little and it’s very close to a 1/4” gun already and seems to be like the Wilson barrel on my Cooper, stays clean and will shoot anything good.
204 is my favorite caliber for everything from prairie rats to coyotes. It shoots 22-250 flat with no recoil so you see all the action every time in the scope. As to it not handling wind with a measured 15 knot direct cross wind at 300 yds a “rat” sitting on his butt will be missed on the windward side if you hold more than his width into the wind,,,try that with a Swift or 22-250. There is some unexplained magic in this little 20 caliber.

I have a 6.5/280 Ackley Improved custom barrel sitting in my safe with the dies etc. that my buddy gave me off one of his projects. Thread dimensions are for a Sako TRG-S and I have not found a donor gun yet. It probably only has a 100 rounds through the barrel and shot great, he just did not like forming the brass.

No.... Really??
As with my 6.8/'06 (.270 Win) remark, I was being a smart a**. When I see the constant stream of "new" cartridges being rolled out by the ammo and rifle makers, I keep asking myself how many times they can re-invent the wheel. Just last night I read an article in ST about the new .24 Nosler.

My favorite uncle always talked about building a 378 Weatherby necked down to a phonograph needle,
but he couldn't find anyone who'd make the dies for him.

I can't remember if it was Bob Hutton or Bob Forker (maybe a joint effort), but they necked a .378 WBY down to 22 cal. Called it the .22 Eargesplitzen Loudenboomer. I think P.O. Ackley might have considered it to be a little over bore capacity. It was simply an experiment in ridiculousness and probably the product of a few drinks.

Edit -- I went back and did my homework. It was actually made by Ackley, for Bob Hutton. It was an experiment to reach 5000 fps. It only ever reached 4600, and used 105gr. of H570 in the process. I cringe to imagine what barrel life would be, but you could probably count it on your fingers.

Last edited:
I've had a Rem 660 in 6mm since 1968. Bullet fragmentation was an early event but has improved with better products. It can turn a Caribou or Black Bear's innards into raspberry jello. The "POP" on contact is a good indicator.

Gary

Since everyone has a favorite gun and I’m siting in the stand waiting for the deer to wake up from nap here’s my favorite the 6lb 338 federal.
View attachment 39668

The 338 Federal caught my attention. I put together one of these and am hunting with it this season. I shot a whitetail buck with it last week and it really hit hard. I got a good deal on factory ammo loaded with 210 Partitions and am using that ammo for now. But I worked up a load with 210 TSXs that is more accurate. Curious what load you’re using?

No.... Really??
As with my 6.8/'06 (.270 Win) remark, I was being a smart a**. When I see the constant stream of "new" cartridges being rolled out by the ammo and rifle makers.

Only if the shoulder angle is the same. :)

My original comment was only to say now maybe we will see a plethora of new bullets come on the market, and not only will the 270 make a big come back but a bunch of other wildcat .277 Cal cartridges will spring up. Time will tell. Guess I better get my 270 out and get ready.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

I'm shooting 180 accubonds over IMR 8208 XBR for 2790fps and it work well for deer, I've got a good load with 210 partitions and leverevolution at 2630fps both shoot small cloverleafs.

I tried 200 grain Accubonds in mine and accuracy was dismal. The TSXs and 210 partitions are shooting very well. But my velocity with H4895, H322 (which is 8208 and AA2015 is about 100 fps less than the factory 210 loads. I'll give the Leverevolution powder a try.

I like .338s for hunting. I used a 340 Weatherby for a long time with 250s and it really did the job. But the new .338 Federal is much lighter, at 7.5 pounds loaded and with a sling, and kicks a lot less.

I have a sore shoulder just reading this!!

30-06 has killed about everything for me, including my brown bear. Lots of one shot moose kills at all ranges.

But that was not the point of this thread. What I really need is to have a few beers with you guys to learn what the heck some of these are... hence the 'wildcat' term I guess.

6.5 Creedmoor, ammo is readily available and affordable. Doesn't kick and is good for 1000 yards target shooting. Got to feed it and it cost $.

If you haven't tried 215 primers that might help with the accuracy, my 180 load shot 2" moa at 100 with 210 and BR-2 primers switch to federal 215M primers and it turned into a laser

Unfortunately they are as scarce as hens teeth. Or were the last few years. I've got a good supply I found in a small store in eastern MT a year ago.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

No.... Really?? As with my 6.8/'06 (.270 Win) remark, I was being a smart a**. When I see the constant stream of "new" cartridges being rolled out by the ammo and rifle makers, I keep asking myself how many times they can re-invent the wheel. Just last night I read an article in ST about the new .24 Nosler.

Yeah, all you have to do is read PO Ackley's Handbook for Shooters & Reloaders, vol 1 & 2, circa early 1960's,
to see that there's really very few truly "new" cartridges.

Yeah, all you have to do is read PO Ackley's Handbook for Shooters & Reloaders, vol 1 & 2, circa early 1960's,
to see that there's really very few truly "new" cartridges.
Those two books happen to be in my headboard bookcase. I've had them for at least 20 years and read them cover to cover more than once.

Ive got a question out of the small hotrod caliber subject. Im looking at a short action. I realy like the rem 721/722/725s and 788s. Im liking the 300 savage over the 308. A relitive once told me the 308 was the worse blood shooting cartridge he ever had. Have a few friends that agree. I also had my 280 doing the same thing with factory loads. A friend hand loaded me some. Went with heavier bullet and slower muzzles velocities. Now very little blood shot. My 30-06 has never had a problem. My question is will a 300 savage be a great short action deer gun and not have a hydrostatic shock problem?

Ive got a question out of the small hotrod caliber subject. Im looking at a short action. I realy like the rem 721/722/725s and 788s. Im liking the 300 savage over the 308. A relitive once told me the 308 was the worse blood shooting cartridge he ever had. Have a few friends that agree. I also had my 280 doing the same thing with factory loads. A friend hand loaded me some. Went with heavier bullet and slower muzzles velocities. Now very little blood shot. My 30-06 has never had a problem. My question is will a 300 savage be a great short action deer gun and not have a hydrostatic shock problem?
That really doesn't compute. The '06 generates higher velocities (for a given bullet weight) than the 308. Personally I find the 300 Savage a rather lackluster cartridge, at least from the standpoint of exterior ballistics. If you're experiencing a lot of blood-shot meat, bullet selection is your problem, not cartridge selection.

Well you did choose a great caliber, its a great gun out to
300 yds with standard twists an light bullets. Fantastic coyote gun. However to really see the true benifits of the .224 there are now bullets avalible for them ( if you have the right twist to shoot them) that can make the 243 guys and the 6.5 boys really shake their heads. Starting at 75 grs on up to 95grs these new bullets have startling high ballistic coefficients. Imagine BC over .500' that with modern powders can be started way north of 3K.........
Tikka offers the American market a factory T3 with an 1/8
Twist that will stabilize up to 95gr bullets in mine! It shoots 75gr ELDs into nickel sized groups at 200 yds. Ditto on the newest Nosler 85gr RDF bullets. If you think a 22/250 was hell on wheels: with standard .250/300 BC bullets; then try launching bullets, with a BC between .450/.550 and that is a" whole different ballgame"! Check out this chart of the .224 with a 95gr bullets at 3085............ Amazing stuff. Screenshot_2018-12-09-02-47-10.png Is that half the drop at 1000yds than the .308!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-12-09-02-47-10.png
    Screenshot_2018-12-09-02-47-10.png
    167.1 KB · Views: 502
Last edited:
Interesting thread..
Looks like a large brain trust of shooting knowledge.
I have a question about what you folks would pick for a long range coyote gun
200-400 yards not out of the question.
max bullet size is .225 (its the law)
Probably be using a can on the end..unless it spells doom for the accuracy.
I'm into the AR platforms, can do a 15 or a 10
Would consider a bolt gun if I can't get enough accuracy with the AR.
Bull barrel?..the weight doesn't bother me too much, as I probably won't be stalking on foot with it a lot.
Using thermal...heavy recoil is kind of a no-no.

Well you did choose a great caliber, its a great gun out to
300 yds with standard twists an light bullets. Fantastic coyote gun. However to really see the true benifits of the .224 there are now bullets avalible for them ( if you have the right twist to shoot them) that can make the 243 guys and the 6.5 boys really shake their heads. Starting at 75 grs on up to 95grs these new bullets have startling high ballistic coefficients. Imagine BC over .500' that with modern powders can be started way north of 3K.........
Tikka offers the American market a factory T3 with an 1/8
Twist that will stabilize up to 95gr bullets in mine! It shoots 75gr ELDs into nickel sized groups at 200 yds. Ditto on the newest Nosler 85gr RDF bullets. If you think a 22/250 was hell on wheels: with standard .250/300 BC bullets; then try launching bullets, with a BC between .450/.550 and that is a" whole different ballgame"! Check out this chart of the .224 with a 95gr bullets at 3085............ Amazing stuff.View attachment 40193 Is that half the drop at 1000yds than the .308!
Why did you have to go and post such a thing? I was perfectly happy with my 22-250 and 6mm.....

Back