• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Small hotrod caliber cartridges

Ill have to stop in next time i have some spraying in sturgis. Been kind of interested in goin ackley on my 280 xbolt medallion also.

FWIW I had a short-action model 70 carbine rebarrelled to 250-3000 Ackley about 20 years ago.
My favorite uncle had two different single-shots chambered in 30-40 Ackley and I just had to have an Ackley.
Mine shoots well, but only 100-150fps more MV than you can get out of a standard 250-3000.
Minuses: you have to handload.
You can shoot standard 250-3000 rounds, in fact that's how you fireform cases, but you lose velocity.
About the same amount that the wildcat gives you (100-150fps).
Also, I discovered that the magazine holds one fewer of the fatter,steeper shoulder Ackley rounds.
Because of that steep shsoulder, the Ackley round also doesn't feed as well out of the magazine.
If you get a little bit of buck fever going on, it's not hard to get a jam throwing the bolt for a quick second shot.
With everything said & done, I kinda wished that I'd just stuck with the standard factory cartridge.

Looks like most of the replies are spot on. One negative here, a 6.5x.284 will go thru a barrel in about a 1000-1200 rounds. Also the timing of this subject is reflected on the “6mmbr” website. Also some good specials on rifles on the Monday report. And another observation, a 6mmbr is hard to beat out to 600 yds. Holds a lot of benchrest records.

With today's optics, and high BC bullets, 600 yards isn't near as tough of a shot as it was a few years ago. At a recent shoot, for the last shot jackpot, all the shooters got a $10 shot at 1200 yards at a 20" gong. 16 of the 20 shooters hit it, several high schoolers, and a 13 year old girl, included. The winner was 4" off center. No wind, perfect conditions, which is rare around here, but it was pretty impressive, nonetheless.

I have used a 22-250 and 25-06 for coyotes in the past. I now use a stainless Ruger M77, 204 for coyotes and for the farthest and wildest prairie doges that are beyond the 200 yard range of my 17 hmr. It all depends on your mission and how many rounds you will be shooting in a season. I usually shoot shoot around 1,000 rounds trying to control my prairie dog problem. Considering low ricochet levels, cost per round which is about $.18 per round and noise level, I mostly use the .17 with a 16 power scope. I would recommend 16 power and up to be able to shoot to the capability of this round resulting in the most kills per dollar. I don't have the time to reload or I might choose to use a different cartage. I have killed a number of coyotes with the 17 round, however I much prefer the 204 with the 40 grain bullets for coyotes. Lots of good choices out there. Have fun, Eddy

I was doing the same Eddy. Shooting prairie dogs along the front range I’d start with a .17 hmr out to around 200 yd then if neighbors weren’t an issue bump up to a .223 then the 25-06 when I wanted to burn powder. I built a .17 Rem. Fireball from the .223 action with an EABCO barrel and absolutely love it. Now I’m in VA so no more long range varmits.

After shooting the barrel out of a swift,a 22-250 and even a 722 Remington’s 222rem I an hooked on the 204. Out to 400 it’s deadly on coyotes with 39gr. Ballistic kings and the ultra low noise/recoil is a big plus. After 22lr it’s my most used cartridge. My Cooper single shot will shoot -1/4” and so will the above mentioned 722 now that Dennis Olson put a Lilja 204 barrel on it. A Ruger 77 mark 11 will shoot under 3/4 but I had to put a rifle basics trigger and HS precision stock on it. There is a lot of magic in this little cal. I listened to a bunch of guys for 10 years going on about what a great all around unexplainably great shooter even in SE Montana’s ever present wind and unlike most new caliber hype this is the real deal you will be amazed...my Cooper turner prairie rats into pink mist every shot unless I screw it up.
dave

Love my .25-06 Ackley Improved. Built on a Heym action with a tapered octagon barrel and a nice piece of French walnut. Early Weaver K1 variable from about 1952. Put together by Wind River Rifles. Can't say much about his business ethics but built me a nice rifle. Coyotes hate the thing.

Well folks, i bought a rem 788 22-250. Couldnt pass up the price. Shoots first 2 rounds @ 2ooyrds touching and then slings next 2 in a 4 round group. Very nice rifle and awsome trigger. Im currently sanding down to float the barrel. Should be able to stack them up after that.

Well folks, i bought a rem 788 22-250. Couldnt pass up the price. Shoots first 2 rounds @ 2ooyrds touching and then slings next 2 in a 4 round group. Very nice rifle and awsome trigger. Im currently sanding down to float the barrel. Should be able to stack them up after that.

make sure the end of the barrel is perfect and true.

End of barrel trued to action?

No. end of the barrel needs to be exactly 90 degrees to the bore of the barrel all the way around the end. . maybe google muzzle crown and you will see what i mean or i will see if i can find something that explains it better. a trued action helps but a good bore with a good muzzle crown really helps for flyers. its just something to visually look at. heeres a little.https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/barrel-crown.67944/ when people push there cleaning rod brushes out past the end of the barrel and yank them back it does a lot of damage over time.

Last edited:
Helped out a bunch floating. I did clean it again and so it started out not great then got better as it fouled. Ill try some more through it. Was about 2" @ 200yrd then after 16 rounds went to 100 yrds and was under 1". Ill look into the crown thing also. 0619181613b.jpg
It does have a bushnell sportview so i can be too picky. I luv this 22-250.

Attachments

• 0619181613b.jpg
    0619181613b.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:
Floating the barrel is theoretically good for consistency but I've had very good results by keeping a little end pressure. As far as caliber, the 22-250 is my go-to gun. It has a 3 groove barrel made by a certain Cub pilot on this site and is unbelievably accurate.

I have a 25-06 and love it, I have a 22-250, 308 and 7mm08 and I always grab my 25-06 first. Its an awesome all around load

The 25-06 is an excellent cartridge. I have the 22-250, 6mm and 25-06 all on Remington 700 actions. When I want horsepower the 25-06 comes out.
The 6mm probably seems like an unnecessary overlap, but it holds a special place in my heart. I have 2 of them. Everybody and his brother has a .243 but the 6mm is a rarer duck.

Last edited:
The problem with the 22-250 is that MOST of them had 1-14" twist barrels. They won't stabilize a lot of the good bullets out there. Mine won't even shoot 55 grain Ballistic tip or Vmaxes. It will at 5000 elevation but not at 2000 where I do most of my shooting. I end up stuck with 40 and 50 grain bullets. A 1-10 or 1-12 would be MUCH better.

I recently built a couple of 6x47 Lapuas. That is a real nice round. Used 6.5x47L brass. I get 3150 fps with 105-108 grain bullets and 4100 with 55s. Brass lasts 30 firings or more. Small rifle primer and accuracy is great. 6mm is much better beyond 300-400 yards than a 22.

Yeah, I don't know why the 14 twist was used. I went with 12 when I bought my Lilja barrel.

Those 788's are on the butt side of ugly, but I hear they can be very accurate.
I'll take that over pretty any time.

Norma 22 BR or 6mm BR on a Remington 700 action.
Same Performance as a 22-250 and 243 with less powder and if loaded right better accuracy. They were made to shoot benchrest matches

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Put a box through it again today. Superx soft points. Touching holes at 100 yrds (3 round groups). Some times the 3d round went out an inch but that could be the nut behind the bolt.

Norma 22 BR or 6mm BR on a Remington 700 action.
Same Performance as a 22-250 and 243 with less powder and if loaded right better accuracy. They were made to shoot benchrest matches

A few years ago I built a .20 Vartarg on a elcheapo Savage action. It's deadly on pasture poodles out to 250, but then it falls off really fast...like so fast that 300 yd hits are pretty tough because it takes a few shots to get elevation. I've been thinking about building a .20 BR or even a .22 BR.

I built the 22br with a hart barrel with a 1-10 Twist and the 6mm with a 1-8 Twist. They will reach out and blow a dog up a long ways out. If I had it to do over I would barrel the 6 mm to a 1-10 . The lighter bullets like 70-85 I have to push really fast for accuracy. It likes the 100 vld

A few years ago I built a .20 Vartarg on a elcheapo Savage action.
Savages may be inexpensive but I've never shot one that wasn't surprisingly accurate. They're barrel tolerances must be tight, and I think there's something about the jamb-nut system that makes them inherently accurate. Kind of like the Dan Wesson revolvers with their tension nut system.

When you said you wanted discussion on .224-6.5 and no trendy Creedmoor talk, I really thought the crowd of cub guys was gonna take this way out in the weeds discussing wildcats, then arguing over chamber leade angles, then hashing out the merits of BC vs. velocity. Kinda like saying “160 vs. 180” to the crowd. Kinda surprised how tame all the calibers discussed here have been. Must speak to that appreciation of all things classic that cub guys have?

I’ll be the odd man out here. My daily working coyote rifles are .22-250 Ackley Improved(40°), .22-6mm Ackley Improved (40°) and a .25-300 WSM. Nothing launches less than 4100fps for me.

Been through .220 Swift (the classic coyote chambering), .220 Swift Improved (35° and 40°), .243 Ackley, 6mm-284, 6mm Ackley, 6mm-06 Ackley, .257 STW. All have their own pros and cons. I have certainly used some tamer factory chamberings as well.
I’m all about maximum MPBR and shortest possible time-of-flight, which luckily go hand-in-hand.

For plinking/varminting I think the .222 Magnum Improved is a riot and does most things the .223 or .204 will do. Brass isn’t easy to get, but one can argue it’ll beat the .204’s barrel life. Mine will shoot in the .2’s at 100. It’s my favorite varmint/plinker.

The old standby .22-250 is really tough to beat though. Fast twists, long bullets and discussing all things high BC is certainly in vogue, but the 1:14 twist in factory .22-250’s will do damn near anything you want to do out to 400. Probably 450-470 if you don’t mind abbreviating a little brass life. And when you finally toast the throat, re-chamber to .22-250 Ackley, and you have (arguably) the very best .224” chambering there is for coyotes/varmints/competition.

Might want to start thinking up some interesting cartridges in 6.8.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

When you said you wanted discussion on .224-6.5 and no trendy Creedmoor talk, I really thought the crowd of cub guys was gonna take this way out in the weeds discussing wildcats, then arguing over chamber leade angles, then hashing out the merits of BC vs. velocity. Kinda like saying “160 vs. 180” to the crowd. Kinda surprised how tame all the calibers discussed here have been. Must speak to that appreciation of all things classic that cub guys have?

Makes sense to me , my last two builds were a 300 H&H from an old Savage 300 Win mag ( a step backwards to some) and and a 219 Zipper saddle gun from an old Win 94 30/30. My varmint gun is a model 788 in 222 that I never shoot cause a shotgun works better. A good deer rifle would be 257 Roberts if I want to use a bolt action or a 25-35 if I want to pack a lever action.
But none of those see much use cause most of my shooting is done with an H&R topper in 12 guage or a Browning 1885 in 45-90.

Last edited:
Might want to start thinking up some interesting cartridges in 6.8.

I got one for ya. How about a 6.8/'06?? That ought to be a dandy of a medium game cartridge.

I have a heavy barrel 22-250 and a 25-06 and have killed a truckload of deer with them. My 22-250 is scoped so that all I try to use is a neck shot and at 100 yds or less it is instant death. I use my 25-06 for longer ranges with a 115 grain ballistic tip and IMR 4350. Down here in south Georgia a 300 yd shot is about as far as we shoot usually over peanuts or soybeans but you would be surprised to know how many deer I have taken while they were eating cotton plants. The wife says I dont need to go to the tower stands at the fields I can just stay home and shoot them as they are eating her azaleas

Back