• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Small hotrod caliber cartridges

Years ago, I had a short-action model 70 carbine in 2253 converted to 250-3000 Ackley.
Only about equal to a 257 Roberts, & maybe 100-150 fps advantage over the standard 250-3000 Savage.
But still a nice little cartridge.
Unfortunately the sharp shoulder makes it a bit finicky about feeding out of the magazine,
as in don't get in a hurry (can you spell buck fever?),
and the minimal taper on the case means one less cartridge will fit in the magazine than with stock 250-3000's..
That said, both issues probably could have been lessened or eliminated by a better gunsmith than the guy who did my rifle.
Kinda wish now that I'd just gone with the standard 250-3000,
but my favorite uncle had a couple Ackley-chambered rifles & I just had to have one too.

My mom has my grandpas model 92 winny in 25-20. Looked up serial # once and i think it was made in the 20's. Action is sooo smooooth! Bet that 25-20 was the hot rod of its day.

Ummm...not really....
more of a light duty small game gun I think.
The 25-35 was more of the hotrod.
Second number is grains of black powder (or equivalent).

From wiki:
The .25-20 Winchester, or WCF (Winchester center fire), was developed around 1895 for the Winchester Model 1892 lever action rifle. It was based on necking down the .32-20 Winchester. In the early 20th century, it was a popular small game and varmint round, developing around 1,460 ft/s with 86-grain bullet

The .25-35 Winchester, or WCF (Winchester Center Fire) was introduced in 1895 by Winchester for the Winchester Model 1894 & Savage Model 99 lever action rifles. The case was based on the .30-30 cartridge.
Significantly more powerful than the .25-20 Winchester, the .25-35 WCF can be used to hunt small deer at 200 yards and medium-sized deer at 100 yards, however, some consider it better suited to small predators such as coyotes instead.

So heres a question for you remington shooters. Just bought a new bdl in 7 mag, dollar bill hangs up by the sling stud. My question is to float or not to float? Im kind of thinking to just shoot it first and see how it does mabe? I dont reload so it factory ammo for me. Thanks.

If it were me I would see how it shoots first. There is a possibility that ‘hang up’ might be there as a pressure point and actually help with barrel harmonics.

Yes, as Kid Durango states, see how it shoots first with a variety of ammo you hope to use. Remington has a 'bump' in the channel of many of their rifle to put a little pressure on the barrel. SOmetimes it does help to sand it out but in some on my Remingtons I have left it since it shoots good the way it is. I will mention that on one rifle I had, with a wooden stock shot fantastic with the bump. Only to find out on a Moose hunt in Quebec that the stock wasn't sealed well enough. Hunting in the constant rain and other deluges of water (hunting for boat), this particular stock warped enough to cause the rifle to shift its point of impact off by nearly a foot. After that hunt, all my hunting rifles now have synthetic stocks excet for one.

Oh wow. Im real partial to the wood and iron. I did buy a ruger american go wild in 6.5 creed thats synthetic camo with cerakote and a break. Nice shooter but ugly stock. I can see something like a model 70 stainless all wether down the road or a hells canyon. I have used boiled linseed oil on my guns before for wetherproofing. Guess ill see how it shoots during break in. The reason i went with the bdl is the 9:25 twist. I figured that would shoot the 155 or 160 grainers well. I do have a 788 in 22-250 and that sucker is a tac driver.

Ive been looking at the new federal 155 gr tlr or now called ascent. Im hoping it shoots them well. Try partitions and accubonds. The ascent has real high bc(almost .6) and sd(over .3).

Not a hotrod cartridge question at all,
but does anyone here have any experience with a 22 Ruger Charger?
I've seen them in magazines before but never in person--
saw one at the local gun shop the other day & it caught my eye.
Plastic stock, 22 caliber, only $300 including bipod & optics rail.
Looks like it'd be a pretty fun gun with a good LER scope.
Threaded barrel so a good candidate for a suppresser.

Ued to be you could shoot a 22 all day long for under ten bucks.
I guess the days of cheap ammo (even for a 22) are gone forever,
but a 22 is still the cheapest thing going.
And best of all-- no hunting for your precious brass for us reloaders!!

For a frugal laser-beam I picked up a Ruger Model 77 in .17WSM and after a $34 drop-in trigger job it’s pretty sweet and 20 grain ballistic tips are 3000fps out of a rim fire at $.26 per round.

Bet thats a shooter. Guy had one here in a savage bmag i shot a little. Noticed it shot awsome off hand but threw shoots when on bipod. I found stock was so flimsy it was hitting barrel while resting on bipod. A nice stock would have remedied that rifle. An m77 should be a god one. And i will put in a plug for mcarbo trigger springs! Ive put them in about 12 guns now.

Those 22-250s and 17s are useless because of winds on our coast. I found 25-06 just the ticket but too much noise with neighbours a half-mile away. Settled on Ruger M77 250-3000 with no regrets. That and my Brno CZ circa 1950 7X57mm will handle anything on the continent. I read of all the new and improved calibres since I got my first rifle 80 years ago. They make me smile.

Those 22-250s and 17s are useless because of winds on our coast. I found 25-06 just the ticket but too much noise with neighbours a half-mile away. Settled on Ruger M77 250-3000 with no regrets. That and my Brno CZ circa 1950 7X57mm will handle anything on the continent. I read of all the new and improved calibres since I got my first rifle 80 years ago. They make me smile.

If it's OK to drift the thread a bit, what did you use the 25-06 for? I've ended up with more 30 Govt's than I can ever use (in every style), but am looking for a smaller-caliber offering and was thinking of re-purposing one of my 30-06's to the 25-06.

Build your self a 22-250 AI with a 1-8 twist. Shoots 80gr bullets really good and the buck the wind good and not near as noisy as a 25-06 . All though the 25-06 is a good cartridge. The Remington 280 is also a good one

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Bet thats a shooter. Guy had one here in a savage bmag i shot a little. Noticed it shot awsome off hand but threw shoots when on bipod. I found stock was so flimsy it was hitting barrel while resting on bipod. A nice stock would have remedied that rifle. An m77 should be a god one. And i will put in a plug for mcarbo trigger springs! Ive put them in about 12 guns now.

Boydsgunsstocks get a laminate stock for about 150

Stepfather took a mauser 1908 action, sectioned it, cut out about 1.25 rewelded /heat treated it out in an absolutely gorgeous thumbhole walnut stock, chambered it in 17 Bennett (a 22 BR necked down to 17. Could never get it to shoot, the bullets explode due to centrifugal forces and velocity

I have a 225 Winchester for the light/fast bullet category, but really with bullet/load selection (I reload) the 30.06 does it all. With a 26" barrel and 130 grain hollow point 3300 fps can be achieved (using an old 1895 Win.)

I've always loved small caliber cartridges especially wildcats. Never had a chance to do much with them as all my shooting and loading has been larger caliber wildcats in handguns like 375JDJ.

One I've always wanted to try is a 22 K-hornet in a Contender but with a faster twist rate barrel able to handle long, heavy for caliber 22 caliber bullets at subsonic speeds. Kind of like a mini 300 blackout. 5" barreled single shot with a suppressor on it would be a blast to plink with and load for.

A blast on coyotes ! [emoji4]
I've always loved small caliber cartridges especially wildcats. Never had a chance to do much with them as all my shooting and loading has been larger caliber wildcats in handguns like 375JDJ.

One I've always wanted to try is a 22 K-hornet in a Contender but with a faster twist rate barrel able to handle long, heavy for caliber 22 caliber bullets at subsonic speeds. Kind of like a mini 300 blackout. 5" barreled single shot with a suppressor on it would be a blast to plink with and load for.

Sent from my VS988 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

That and my Brno CZ circa 1950 7X57mm will handle anything on the continent. I read of all the new and improved calibres since I got my first rifle 80 years ago. They make me smile.

My uncle gave me an old 7X57 Mannlicher Schoenauer. It is a nice shooter--set trigger and leaf sights. It makes me smile too.

I'd love to have an original 1903 M-S carbine in 6.5 x 54--
butterknife bolt handle, rotary magazine, set triggers, and all.

I have a rare M-S - the 9.5 x 57. Obsolete cartridge so I have had to make my own out of 30.06 brass using 230 g Hornady bullets.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

I have a .257 Ackley Improved. Model 70 featherweight. Great light weight hot rod deer cartridge.

My favorite uncle had two different single-shot rifles chambered in 30-40 Ackley--
a Winchester high-wall and a Ruger #3.
I decided I just had to have an Ackley,
so I had a Winchester lightweight carbine in 223 rebored & chambered in 250-3000 Ackley.
Good little cartridge, ballistically about on a par with a standard 257 Roberts.

A couple snags-- the minimum taper & sharp shoulder on the improved case requires somewhat deliberate bolt operation,
otherwise it binds up and jams.
And the fatter shoulder only allows four in the magazine instead of five.
Those are probably more on the gunsmith that did the work than on the cartridge.

In retrospect, I kinda wish I'd just had it done in standard 250-3000--
I don't think a deer really notices that added 150 or so fps.

Back