Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Small hotrod caliber cartridges

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh wow. Im real partial to the wood and iron. I did buy a ruger american go wild in 6.5 creed thats synthetic camo with cerakote and a break. Nice shooter but ugly stock. I can see something like a model 70 stainless all wether down the road or a hells canyon. I have used boiled linseed oil on my guns before for wetherproofing. Guess ill see how it shoots during break in. The reason i went with the bdl is the 9:25 twist. I figured that would shoot the 155 or 160 grainers well. I do have a 788 in 22-250 and that sucker is a tac driver.
    "There are 3 kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Ive been looking at the new federal 155 gr tlr or now called ascent. Im hoping it shoots them well. Try partitions and accubonds. The ascent has real high bc(almost .6) and sd(over .3).
    "There are 3 kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Not a hotrod cartridge question at all,
    but does anyone here have any experience with a 22 Ruger Charger?
    I've seen them in magazines before but never in person--
    saw one at the local gun shop the other day & it caught my eye.
    Plastic stock, 22 caliber, only $300 including bipod & optics rail.
    Looks like it'd be a pretty fun gun with a good LER scope.
    Threaded barrel so a good candidate for a suppresser.
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

Post Thanks / Like
    The Charger is a lot of fun. Great for introducing kids to shooting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ued to be you could shoot a 22 all day long for under ten bucks.
    I guess the days of cheap ammo (even for a 22) are gone forever,
    but a 22 is still the cheapest thing going.
    And best of all-- no hunting for your precious brass for us reloaders!!
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

Post Thanks / Like
    6XC
    6.5x47 Lapua
    250AI

Post Thanks / Like
    For a frugal laser-beam I picked up a Ruger Model 77 in .17WSM and after a $34 drop-in trigger job it’s pretty sweet and 20 grain ballistic tips are 3000fps out of a rim fire at $.26 per round.
    Remember, These are the Good old Days!

Post Thanks / Like
    Bet thats a shooter. Guy had one here in a savage bmag i shot a little. Noticed it shot awsome off hand but threw shoots when on bipod. I found stock was so flimsy it was hitting barrel while resting on bipod. A nice stock would have remedied that rifle. An m77 should be a god one. And i will put in a plug for mcarbo trigger springs! Ive put them in about 12 guns now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Those 22-250s and 17s are useless because of winds on our coast. I found 25-06 just the ticket but too much noise with neighbours a half-mile away. Settled on Ruger M77 250-3000 with no regrets. That and my Brno CZ circa 1950 7X57mm will handle anything on the continent. I read of all the new and improved calibres since I got my first rifle 80 years ago. They make me smile.
    Likes BC12D-4-85 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by King Brown View Post
    Those 22-250s and 17s are useless because of winds on our coast. I found 25-06 just the ticket but too much noise with neighbours a half-mile away. Settled on Ruger M77 250-3000 with no regrets. That and my Brno CZ circa 1950 7X57mm will handle anything on the continent. I read of all the new and improved calibres since I got my first rifle 80 years ago. They make me smile.
    If it's OK to drift the thread a bit, what did you use the 25-06 for? I've ended up with more 30 Govt's than I can ever use (in every style), but am looking for a smaller-caliber offering and was thinking of re-purposing one of my 30-06's to the 25-06.
    Back In Alaska

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by King Brown View Post
    Build your self a 22-250 AI with a 1-8 twist. Shoots 80gr bullets really good and the buck the wind good and not near as noisy as a 25-06 . All though the 25-06 is a good cartridge. The Remington 280 is also a good one

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app