Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Small hotrod caliber cartridges

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cub Special Ed View Post
    End of barrel trued to action?
    No. end of the barrel needs to be exactly 90 degrees to the bore of the barrel all the way around the end. . maybe google muzzle crown and you will see what i mean or i will see if i can find something that explains it better. a trued action helps but a good bore with a good muzzle crown really helps for flyers. its just something to visually look at. heeres a little.https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/barrel-crown.67944/ when people push there cleaning rod brushes out past the end of the barrel and yank them back it does a lot of damage over time.
    Last edited by tempdoug; 06-19-2018 at 03:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Helped out a bunch floating. I did clean it again and so it started out not great then got better as it fouled. Ill try some more through it. Was about 2" @ 200yrd then after 16 rounds went to 100 yrds and was under 1". Ill look into the crown thing also.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0619181613b.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	37660
    It does have a bushnell sportview so i can be too picky. I luv this 22-250.
    Last edited by Cub Special Ed; 06-19-2018 at 05:27 PM.
    "There are 3 kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Floating the barrel is theoretically good for consistency but I've had very good results by keeping a little end pressure. As far as caliber, the 22-250 is my go-to gun. It has a 3 groove barrel made by a certain Cub pilot on this site and is unbelievably accurate.
    After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF !

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 25-06 and love it, I have a 22-250, 308 and 7mm08 and I always grab my 25-06 first. Its an awesome all around load

Post Thanks / Like
    The 25-06 is an excellent cartridge. I have the 22-250, 6mm and 25-06 all on Remington 700 actions. When I want horsepower the 25-06 comes out.
    The 6mm probably seems like an unnecessary overlap, but it holds a special place in my heart. I have 2 of them. Everybody and his brother has a .243 but the 6mm is a rarer duck.
    Last edited by PerryB; 06-19-2018 at 06:28 PM.
    Likes Skip liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The problem with the 22-250 is that MOST of them had 1-14" twist barrels. They won't stabilize a lot of the good bullets out there. Mine won't even shoot 55 grain Ballistic tip or Vmaxes. It will at 5000 elevation but not at 2000 where I do most of my shooting. I end up stuck with 40 and 50 grain bullets. A 1-10 or 1-12 would be MUCH better.

I recently built a couple of 6x47 Lapuas. That is a real nice round. Used 6.5x47L brass. I get 3150 fps with 105-108 grain bullets and 4100 with 55s. Brass lasts 30 firings or more. Small rifle primer and accuracy is great. 6mm is much better beyond 300-400 yards than a 22.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I don't know why the 14 twist was used. I went with 12 when I bought my Lilja barrel.
    Likes spinner2 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Those 788's are on the butt side of ugly, but I hear they can be very accurate.
    I'll take that over pretty any time.
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

Post Thanks / Like
    Norma 22 BR or 6mm BR on a Remington 700 action.
    Same Performance as a 22-250 and 243 with less powder and if loaded right better accuracy. They were made to shoot benchrest matches

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    Put a box through it again today. Superx soft points. Touching holes at 100 yrds (3 round groups). Some times the 3d round went out an inch but that could be the nut behind the bolt.
    "There are 3 kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Budd View Post
    Norma 22 BR or 6mm BR on a Remington 700 action.
    Same Performance as a 22-250 and 243 with less powder and if loaded right better accuracy. They were made to shoot benchrest matches

A few years ago I built a .20 Vartarg on a elcheapo Savage action. It's deadly on pasture poodles out to 250, but then it falls off really fast...like so fast that 300 yd hits are pretty tough because it takes a few shots to get elevation. I've been thinking about building a .20 BR or even a .22 BR.

Post Thanks / Like
    I built the 22br with a hart barrel with a 1-10 Twist and the 6mm with a 1-8 Twist. They will reach out and blow a dog up a long ways out. If I had it to do over I would barrel the 6 mm to a 1-10 . The lighter bullets like 70-85 I have to push really fast for accuracy. It likes the 100 vld

Likes C130jake liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nefj40 View Post
    A few years ago I built a .20 Vartarg on a elcheapo Savage action.
    Savages may be inexpensive but I've never shot one that wasn't surprisingly accurate. They're barrel tolerances must be tight, and I think there's something about the jamb-nut system that makes them inherently accurate. Kind of like the Dan Wesson revolvers with their tension nut system.

Post Thanks / Like
    When you said you wanted discussion on .224-6.5 and no trendy Creedmoor talk, I really thought the crowd of cub guys was gonna take this way out in the weeds discussing wildcats, then arguing over chamber leade angles, then hashing out the merits of BC vs. velocity. Kinda like saying “160 vs. 180” to the crowd. Kinda surprised how tame all the calibers discussed here have been. Must speak to that appreciation of all things classic that cub guys have?

I’ll be the odd man out here. My daily working coyote rifles are .22-250 Ackley Improved(40°), .22-6mm Ackley Improved (40°) and a .25-300 WSM. Nothing launches less than 4100fps for me.

Been through .220 Swift (the classic coyote chambering), .220 Swift Improved (35° and 40°), .243 Ackley, 6mm-284, 6mm Ackley, 6mm-06 Ackley, .257 STW. All have their own pros and cons. I have certainly used some tamer factory chamberings as well.
    I’m all about maximum MPBR and shortest possible time-of-flight, which luckily go hand-in-hand.

For plinking/varminting I think the .222 Magnum Improved is a riot and does most things the .223 or .204 will do. Brass isn’t easy to get, but one can argue it’ll beat the .204’s barrel life. Mine will shoot in the .2’s at 100. It’s my favorite varmint/plinker.

The old standby .22-250 is really tough to beat though. Fast twists, long bullets and discussing all things high BC is certainly in vogue, but the 1:14 twist in factory .22-250’s will do damn near anything you want to do out to 400. Probably 450-470 if you don’t mind abbreviating a little brass life. And when you finally toast the throat, re-chamber to .22-250 Ackley, and you have (arguably) the very best .224” chambering there is for coyotes/varmints/competition.
    Thanks tbone thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    INteresting that this thread wopuld get revived...
    I was just reading an article in the latest American Rifleman about the new 6.5 PRC,
    sort of a bigger better 6.5 Creedmoor.
    It uses a modified Ruger 375 case.
    Couldn't google up the current article but here's a blurb from last year:
    https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...fle-cartridge/

Post Thanks / Like
    Might want to start thinking up some interesting cartridges in 6.8.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
    I may be wrong but that probably won't stop me from arguing about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
    When you said you wanted discussion on .224-6.5 and no trendy Creedmoor talk, I really thought the crowd of cub guys was gonna take this way out in the weeds discussing wildcats, then arguing over chamber leade angles, then hashing out the merits of BC vs. velocity. Kinda like saying “160 vs. 180” to the crowd. Kinda surprised how tame all the calibers discussed here have been. Must speak to that appreciation of all things classic that cub guys have?

Makes sense to me , my last two builds were a 300 H&H from an old Savage 300 Win mag ( a step backwards to some) and and a 219 Zipper saddle gun from an old Win 94 30/30. My varmint gun is a model 788 in 222 that I never shoot cause a shotgun works better. A good deer rifle would be 257 Roberts if I want to use a bolt action or a 25-35 if I want to pack a lever action.
    But none of those see much use cause most of my shooting is done with an H&R topper in 12 guage or a Browning 1885 in 45-90.

Last edited by S2D; 11-01-2018 at 01:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by S2D View Post
    Might want to start thinking up some interesting cartridges in 6.8.

I got one for ya. How about a 6.8/'06?? That ought to be a dandy of a medium game cartridge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PerryB View Post
    I got one for ya. How about a 6.8/'06?? That ought to be a dandy of a medium game cartridge.
    That sounds like a .270 to me.
    "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." Wyatt Earp
    Likes hotrod180 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a heavy barrel 22-250 and a 25-06 and have killed a truckload of deer with them. My 22-250 is scoped so that all I try to use is a neck shot and at 100 yds or less it is instant death. I use my 25-06 for longer ranges with a 115 grain ballistic tip and IMR 4350. Down here in south Georgia a 300 yd shot is about as far as we shoot usually over peanuts or soybeans but you would be surprised to know how many deer I have taken while they were eating cotton plants. The wife says I dont need to go to the tower stands at the fields I can just stay home and shoot them as they are eating her azaleas
    Thanks TCE thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spinner2 View Post
    That sounds like a .270 to me.
    That's what I thought too. or maybe a 6.8-08

http://www.nationaldefensemagazine.o...-caliber-round

Post Thanks / Like
    6.8 bullets are .277" diameter, the same as a .270.

Post Thanks / Like
    Of course it's a .270 !!

Post Thanks / Like
    Next I'm going to invent a 6mm/.308.

Post Thanks / Like
    If the Military adopts that, maybe we'll start seeing a bigger selection of 270 bullets unless they go 276.

Post Thanks / Like
    My go to deer gun is a browning in 7mm-06. Aka the great .280 remington. My yoter is now a remington 788 in 22-250.
    Thanks pfm thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    That would never catch on !!

Post Thanks / Like
    I've got a 22-250 AI reamer. I think the 30* shoulders are better though. Wish I had some reamers with 30* shoulders other than the 6 SLR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 85Mike View Post
    I've had a M77 Ruger .204 for 10 years now and love its performance. At time of introduction it was the fastest off the shelf cartridge available, over 4000 MV with the 32 grain Hornady factory ammo. That said, it tended to loose accuracy after 20 shots or so that I theorize was due to copper fouling in the barrel. The 40 grain bullet at around 3900 MV would stay accurate much longer. 300 yard shots at sage rats in SE Oregon were amazing. Coyotes to 400 yds were also easy shots. I put a 6 x 20 scope on it. I'm hoping to have the opportunity to hunt wolves with it one of these days. I shot a sitting bobcat in the sternum and could not find the entry hole until I skinned it. There was no exit hole and its chest cavity was a MESS! Its a killer round.

Mike
    I have 3 rifles in 204 ruger. My first and best is a Cooper single shot that shoots well under 1/4” it likes Sierra ballistic kings in both 32 and 39 grain and will shoot hornady factory ammo good and Hunting Shack ammo great. Next I bought a Ruger 77 mk11 that was nearly new. It shot terrible so I put a trigger basics trigger and a HS precision stock. It’s ok, maybe 3/4 on its best day but tends to copper foul fairly fast,it’s a great pickup gun.
    Last I had a Remington 722-222 that I bought 40 years ago and finally shot the barrel out of that I took to Dennis Olson up in Plains Mt last Spring. Wow he put a Lilja barrel on it,fluted and blued it and shot it in a little and it’s very close to a 1/4” gun already and seems to be like the Wilson barrel on my Cooper, stays clean and will shoot anything good.
    204 is my favorite caliber for everything from prairie rats to coyotes. It shoots 22-250 flat with no recoil so you see all the action every time in the scope. As to it not handling wind with a measured 15 knot direct cross wind at 300 yds a “rat” sitting on his butt will be missed on the windward side if you hold more than his width into the wind,,,try that with a Swift or 22-250. There is some unexplained magic in this little 20 caliber.
    Thanks spinner2 thanked for this post
    Likes OLDCROWE liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 6.5/280 Ackley Improved custom barrel sitting in my safe with the dies etc. that my buddy gave me off one of his projects. Thread dimensions are for a Sako TRG-S and I have not found a donor gun yet. It probably only has a 100 rounds through the barrel and shot great, he just did not like forming the brass.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tempdoug View Post
    No.... Really??
    As with my 6.8/'06 (.270 Win) remark, I was being a smart a**. When I see the constant stream of "new" cartridges being rolled out by the ammo and rifle makers, I keep asking myself how many times they can re-invent the wheel. Just last night I read an article in ST about the new .24 Nosler.
    Likes S2D liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    My favorite uncle always talked about building a 378 Weatherby necked down to a phonograph needle,
    but he couldn't find anyone who'd make the dies for him.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't remember if it was Bob Hutton or Bob Forker (maybe a joint effort), but they necked a .378 WBY down to 22 cal. Called it the .22 Eargesplitzen Loudenboomer. I think P.O. Ackley might have considered it to be a little over bore capacity. It was simply an experiment in ridiculousness and probably the product of a few drinks.

Edit -- I went back and did my homework. It was actually made by Ackley, for Bob Hutton. It was an experiment to reach 5000 fps. It only ever reached 4600, and used 105gr. of H570 in the process. I cringe to imagine what barrel life would be, but you could probably count it on your fingers.
    Last edited by PerryB; 11-07-2018 at 06:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Since everyone has a favorite gun and I’m siting in the stand waiting for the deer to wake up from nap here’s my favorite the 6lb 338 federal.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0362F281-2CF8-4C94-B8C0-079E96DB67C2.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	39668

Post Thanks / Like
    I've had a Rem 660 in 6mm since 1968. Bullet fragmentation was an early event but has improved with better products. It can turn a Caribou or Black Bear's innards into raspberry jello. The "POP" on contact is a good indicator.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PA-22/20-160 View Post
    Since everyone has a favorite gun and I’m siting in the stand waiting for the deer to wake up from nap here’s my favorite the 6lb 338 federal.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0362F281-2CF8-4C94-B8C0-079E96DB67C2.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	86.4 KB 
ID:	39668
    The 338 Federal caught my attention. I put together one of these and am hunting with it this season. I shot a whitetail buck with it last week and it really hit hard. I got a good deal on factory ammo loaded with 210 Partitions and am using that ammo for now. But I worked up a load with 210 TSXs that is more accurate. Curious what load you’re using?

Post Thanks / Like
    No.... Really??
    As with my 6.8/'06 (.270 Win) remark, I was being a smart a**. When I see the constant stream of "new" cartridges being rolled out by the ammo and rifle makers.
    Only if the shoulder angle is the same. (:

My original comment was only to say now maybe we will see a plethora of new bullets come on the market, and not only will the 270 make a big come back but a bunch of other wildcat .277 Cal cartridges will spring up. Time will tell. Guess I better get my 270 out and get ready.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner2 View Post
    The 338 Federal caught my attention. I put together one of these and am hunting with it this season. I shot a whitetail buck with it last week and it really hit hard. I got a good deal on factory ammo loaded with 210 Partitions and am using that ammo for now. But I worked up a load with 210 TSXs that is more accurate. Curious what load you’re using?
    I'm shooting 180 accubonds over IMR 8208 XBR for 2790fps and it work well for deer, I've got a good load with 210 partitions and leverevolution at 2630fps both shoot small cloverleafs.
    Thanks spinner2 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PA-22/20-160 View Post
    I'm shooting 180 accubonds over IMR 8208 XBR for 2790fps and it work well for deer, I've got a good load with 210 partitions and leverevolution at 2630fps both shoot small cloverleafs.
    I tried 200 grain Accubonds in mine and accuracy was dismal. The TSXs and 210 partitions are shooting very well. But my velocity with H4895, H322 (which is 8208 and AA2015 is about 100 fps less than the factory 210 loads. I'll give the Leverevolution powder a try.

I like .338s for hunting. I used a 340 Weatherby for a long time with 250s and it really did the job. But the new .338 Federal is much lighter, at 7.5 pounds loaded and with a sling, and kicks a lot less.