• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

NE Summer Fun

Glenn, your pictures struck a chord. Was up at the lake the other day and we are well into the gray season. Funny thing, but I made a couple of Telecasters last winter and I'll probably make a couple more waiting for the magic of summer whilst having a blast in the powder snow....gray season can't end soon enough.

I was ed-ju-cating some neighbors on my street 'bout Bert & I, and in doing so, I happened
across a video that Tim Sample had done on how to understand some
familiar "Yankee" words.

Now by "Yankee" I do mean "downeast", which really is true Yankee.

Since NY Glenn seems to throw a poke at Douten from time to time,
it seems that this here would be the place to share it.

I was ed-ju-cating some neighbors on my street 'bout Bert & I, and in doing so, I happened
across a video that Tim Sample had done on how to understand some
familiar "Yankee" words.

Now by "Yankee" I do mean "downeast", which really is true Yankee.

Since NY Glenn seems to throw a poke at Douten from time to time,
it seems that this here would be the place to share it.

FMD should include that video in the information packet to those Flatlanders out West of here heading to the WAD in case they get lost up in the big woods, ayuh?

Glenn

Good gawd who drug that guy out. If I had to go listen to Tim Sample spew out that crap one more time I would fashion a noose from the band on my underpants and hang myself. He got a few laughs in college and has tried to turn that into a career poking fun at Maine people. The same crap for 20 years it hasn't changed

jim

Well -- it's not Summer but it certainly is NE Fun! I can stop being a poser in this thread and contribute (hopefully) in a meaningful way. After months of searching I've finally picked up a little piece of fabric of my own! N82354, a 1946 Aeronca Champ 7AC sits along my Skyhawk in the hanger. It's a 65hp w/ Millenium cylinders. Boy do I have a lot to learn... with my first 100hrs in a 152, and last 300 in my Skyhawk this feels like starting from scratch!! But I am beyond excited, and maybe a little nervous...

Step one is earning my tailwheel endorsement. I've got 4hrs in a J3 cub and other than that, no TW time. If anyone is near 1B1, consider me a sponge eager to learn!! I definitely feel over my head.. but am excited to get beyond that and feel comfortable in this wonderful machine. Just thought I'd share here.. Happy Thanksgiving to you all, and stay warm!

Some pictures:

xz547j1.jpg

SaZCIFN.jpg

VREtFuR.jpg

NtLxhyr.jpg

BkH5l5B.jpg

fhmk1Is.jpg

Wowza, she's a beauty! Champs are great fun and docile as kittens to fly. If you'be been out and about in a J-3 you will find the Champ a more stable platform, so you are well on your way. There are lots of great posts as of late ref people in a similar situation transitioning to tailwheel. Some good advice in those posts. And remember, we're all still learning something each and every flight. So, don't be too hard on yourself if you are landing too fast at first and wondering why you are bouncing right back into the sky......:)

Go hook up with that crazy group over at NY1 Klinekill.

Glenn

4 T&L's there today!! I hope they enjoyed the show.... nothing too crazy but my trip off the "ski jump" was certainly interesting, she was flying before I wanted her too!!

Wowza, she's a beauty! Champs are great fun and docile as kittens to fly. If you'be been out and about in a J-3 you will find the Champ a more stable platform, so you are well on your way. There are lots of great posts as of late ref people in a similar situation transitioning to tailwheel. Some good advice in those posts. And remember, we're all still learning something each and every flight. So, don't be too hard on yourself if you are landing too fast at first and wondering why you are bouncing right back into the sky......:)

Thank you JP!! Yes I can't believe how good the visibility is in the Champ. I am not a big guy, so it was much appreciated. I will dig up those posts.. I am eager to learn and trying to absorb all I can. It is so great to now be able to go over to the hangers and put it all to practice. You are certainly right, every flight is something new, especially in the Champ. Some airplanes make it easy to forget that... but this one is keeping me on my toes!

I posted this on another thread but thought I'd paste it here.

----

Thank you all for the wonderful comments!! She is a wonderful bird and I feel so lucky to have her. Finally I can stop ooohing and ahhhing all day on this website and start to join the fun with a piece of yellow fabric of my own..

I went for my first real flight in the Champ today and couldn't believe what it an experience it was. Not on the clock (renting..), nowhere to be, nobody to see, nothing to do but enjoy the pleasure of flight in a 1940's aircraft. I felt like I was in another era, the 1.2hrs spent buzzing around the Hudson Valley felt effortless (including 4 landings on the grass at NY1 Kline Kill). The Champ burnt a measly ~3.5 gallons. My Skyhawk ins't real thirsty either at ~8gph but this is a whole different ball game.

It was blowing about 12knts by the time we came in, but right down the runway. I felt like a dope taxiing. I have a hard time switching directions after a 180 degree turn, and end up turning it into a 360..or 540.. or maybe even a 720. I have to apply full opposite brake, some throttle, and then quickly ease off to center it out. I suppose just some things I will need to get more practice on! 1500ft in the Champ felt and looked like 3500ft in the Skyhawk. I have no clue why.. but now I know why you guys hang out so low!!

CVPZg54.jpg

cWD0pWL.jpg

fj5C1jO.jpg

fenVRsM.jpg

PS: the reiff preheater worked an absolute treat. I got up at 6am to plug her in, by 9:30 she was toasty!

Pics from my instructor in the rear seat (I was happy as a clam up front!!)

heWYxD8.jpg

Nx0o3tJ.jpg

Fun, fun, FUN! Today was one of the best flights of my life. I'm only scratching the surface, but boy have you all found something special!

Pictures are better than words..

hnr7Mah.jpg

MdhJNkY.jpg

ZsptKwS.jpg

BmAQftp.jpg

47bZqd2.jpg

We ended up making our way to Freehold 1I5. No maps, nothing in mind, just followed what looked right and somehow made it there.

6kGb5kd.jpg

It took me four tries but I finally made it stick on that 22ft gravel strip. First two were too high, third was looking good until a handful of dear wandered across the runway! Fourth worked just a treat. Taxii'd to the end and jet out the other side. What a day!

gAGR426.jpg

PS: I used a pillow to help move me closer to the controls. I think this helped a lot. The pillow measured 5.5" but compressed down to probably about 3". If anyone has anything in mind for something a bit more permanent let me know!

Snuck up between the weather...

ywm1FrV.jpg

RonqlMM.jpg

r8yjnRL.jpg

RNPh3nC.jpg

2:30pm I'm sitting at my desk looking at the sky.... 3:30pm I'm up in the air flying! 4pm I'm back at my desk watching weather.. can't beat it 8)

w6TfQUz.jpg

To the East:
sgrr9eO.jpg

To the North:
lVbyMRl.jpg

Glad I quit when I did. Let me know if I am boring you all with the pictures. I don't know where to post them, or if I should at all.. this seemed like the most relevant place.

ii, this disease always happens when one gets a new airplane, it will wear off but it will take a while :lol:

Snuck up between the weather...

2:30pm I'm sitting at my desk looking at the sky.... 3:30pm I'm up in the air flying! 4pm I'm back at my desk watching weather.. can't beat it 8)

To the East:

To the North:

Glad I quit when I did. Let me know if I am boring you all with the pictures. I don't know where to post them, or if I should at all.. this seemed like the most relevant place.

Don't stop now, you're on a roll and having fun !!

Can't believe no show down there? We have had snow on the ground for over a month, and still snowing

Glenn
One might think with all that snow you might get off your images (1).jpeg

and come pick up your skis.png

before Judy asks why I need two pair.

Attachments

• images (1).jpeg
    images (1).jpeg
    8.1 KB · Views: 611
  • skis.png
    skis.png
    182.2 KB · Views: 189
Can't believe no show down there? We have had snow on the ground for over a month, and still snowing

Glenn

How far up north are you? No meaningful snow here in "the valley" but just east looks like it was sticking. Hammered up in Rangeley, ME!

Hqugrrp.jpg

P1000579.JPGGlen, so these were both on Summits? Quitcher bitchin, everyone, winter is kool. These two guys were in a good mood that day.

Attachments

• P1000579.JPG
    P1000579.JPG
    487.1 KB · Views: 542
View attachment 39969Glen, so these were both on Summits? Quitcher bitchin, everyone, winter is kool. These two guys were in a good mood that day.

One with the other on straight skis. You are absolutely right we were in a good mood. Actually still thinking back! Peter and I left tracks all over the Champlain Valley. Some a little faster than others while being chased off the Whistle Pig Farm.

Last edited:
Back