• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Fuel Tank Cover

leading edge came loose wind got under that and peeled right off. when I fly through that area I can still see it in the bottom. happened years ago no pics

it was loud alright didn't know what happened at first looked back at the tail and there's the cover flopping around

it was loud alright didn't know what happened at first looked back at the tail and there's the cover flopping around
So I’m curious how to install the tank cover in a way that would cause this? Mine is attached via a piano hinge which has many sheet metal screws attaching it to the wing at the leading edge. Then the standard sheet metal screws down the sides and the 10/32’s at the trailing edge side.

Quick question folks

Does the tank cover sit on the capstrip of ribs #1 and 4 or on the flanges - ie. be 'countersunk'?

The Dakota Cub leading and trailing edge covers are 'countersunk'.

Many thanks

Frank

Fuel tank cover should fit on the flanges. There ar no screws in that joggled recess area on the leading edges or the false spar to have to countersink.

Thanks a lot Steve,

I thought that was the case but could not find a drawing which showed it. The old ones were both sitting on the capstrips.

Frank

You have to take the dimensions from the wing drawing and then take the tank cover measurement and figure it out. Throw some Univair ribs in there that have their mounting holes offset and it is a recipe for disaster.

I have to make new tank covers due to corrosion and them not fitting on the new Dakota ribs ie. they are a real mess.
However the specs table at bottom right on the Northland and Chistian's drawings has been cut off. can anybody tell me what the spec of the aluminium sheet (grade and thickness) is please.
Thanks
Frank

Back