• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Thank you F. Atlee Dodge!

jrussl

BENEFACTOR
Madison, WI
IMG_0132.JPG

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_0132.JPG
    IMG_0132.JPG
    471.7 KB · Views: 663
What failed? The picture looks like a bent but not broken fitting? Good thing you had safety cables!

The cabane V bolt to the gear fitting broke. Logbook shows that it was changed to 5/16” as part of the gross weight increase but it was never done. Still had 1/4” bolt. New cabane V with 5/16” hole is on the way from Airframes.

Atlee Dodge cables saved the day!

Jeff

Last edited:
Looks like a mechanic has some 'splainin to do.

The cabane V bolt to the gear fitting broke. Logbook shows that it was changed to 5/16” as part of the gross weight increase but it was never done. Still had 1/4” bolt. New cabane V with 5/16” hole is on the way from Airframes.

Atlee Dodge cables saved the day!

Jeff

Thank you F. Atlee Fodge!

Jeff I told you to stop beating the earth into submission. It hasn’t recovered from last month. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

So what's the story? Landing? Taking off? Taxiing? Any excitement to report? Any pics of the airplane's stance when hanging on the cable?

Thanks for sharing. My cables went on yesterday!

I see allot of cables installed to the cabane V bolt. The one that broke. Good thing those were properly installed. Are both thimble eyes stretched out or just the top?

Atlee has saved two planes for us, can’t say enough about safety cables.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill Tracy had a failure of the cabane vee fitting with safety cables and ended up damaging the airplane, prop etc. He got a side load though. Glad you didn't have any other damage. This airplane broke the hydrosorb, previous border patrol plane, now predator control with 10,000 plus hours. Safety cables would have saved this one.
91QSCI18187301.jpg

Attachments

• 91QSCI18187301.jpg
    91QSCI18187301.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 2,300
So what's the story? Landing? Taking off? Taxiing? Any excitement to report? Any pics of the airplane's stance when hanging on the cable?

Thanks for sharing. My cables went on yesterday!

Taking off. Had a slight tailwind so groundspeed was a little higher than usual. Hit a pretty good sized bump just before liftoff that bottomed the gear out. Never knew anything happened to gear until landing at our next stop. No issue with soft bungees as I have AOSS.

The safety cables made this a non-event.

Jeff

You were lucky Jeff. This is what happened to Bill.
DSC00005.jpg

Cabane.JPG

100_3579.JPG

100_3595.JPG

Attachments

• DSC00005.jpg
    DSC00005.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 2,437
  • Cabane.JPG
    Cabane.JPG
    442.1 KB · Views: 2,114
  • 100_3579.JPG
    100_3579.JPG
    148.7 KB · Views: 2,105
  • 100_3595.JPG
    100_3595.JPG
    166.5 KB · Views: 2,086
I had a similar failure years ago, without the cable. The droop tip kept the prop from hitting by about 1/2”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is all pretty scary. I had a shock strut separate due to corrosion plus an undocumented weld to add an airfoil, combined with a student bounce. Forty five minutes later the airplane was ready to fly. New gear leg and shock strut.

I still carry the corroded strut end around with me. Almost no bright metal at all where it separated. We did not have safety cables.

Both thimbles have an attractive new shape to them.

Jeff

I really think a person should "prestrech" the thimbles to that shape and make the cable new appropriate length... that stretch(and loose top cables) can get your wingtip almost to the ground when the ear fails...(and ears failing are all the cables are useful for, not when you fold up the cabane or folding a gear leg by side loading..)

Last edited:
Back