• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Swamp Monster

flyrite

Lyons,GA
Started life in 76 as a woody pusher, I got it 23 years ago and after 1600 hrs. and 2 rebuilds ,started moding it for bush flying five years ago on the last rebuild .
Spoiler boards slaved to the ailerons for slow speed roll control, mounted on 2 foot carbon fiber extensions ,End plates to control the span wise flow at slow speed's, VG's behind the slats, 8 inch gear extensions, 26 inch bush wheels, ABWIMG_0778.jpgIMG_0723.jpgIMG_0777.jpgdouble puck brake calipers,

Spades to lighten the ailerons, servo tabs on elevators because of the high thrust Line , Even though I've got a jackscrew on the horizontal stabilizer, J-3 tail .Flaps on belly, main lift struts, as well as 4' on each side of the T.E. all slaved to the belly flap .

Attachments

• IMG_0778.jpg
    IMG_0778.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 757
  • IMG_0723.jpg
    IMG_0723.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 591
  • IMG_0777.jpg
    IMG_0777.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 490
Last edited:
Cruise speed, stall speed, engine, weight, ...... Please continue to teach us on your non ordinary bird.

Cruise 70 mph, stalls power on something under 30, with 1700 RPM 33 , approach comfortably 38 to 40, touch down in low 30s. ROC 800 fpm, E.W. 810, C-90, no electric although it is a Dash 12 engine.

Attachments

• IMG_0747.jpg
    IMG_0747.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 734
Wow!

And the engine?

Continental 90 hp, all of the mod's was fun to engineer. The toughest of them was working out the linkages on the flaps for the struts .that took some time and pondering. All the rest was pretty easy , The little plane lends itself to this kind of moding ,just a matter of covering your bases on the loading, then fabricating how you're going to mount them . It doesn't hurt to have a good friend that is an aeronautical engineer working for Gulfstream that has access to their computer programs for load testing!

Last edited:
Nice to see the swamp monster on the Experimental aircraft channel on youtube in the new Woody Pusher video. Glad to see the Woody Pusher getting some love.

Last edited:
I realize that this is an old thread and that Tony (flyrite) hasn't logged into the forum since August, but was admiring the spoilers and was hoping someone could comment on how they're actuated? Tony says they're slaved to the ailerons which I assume means there at least one cable that pulls them up(can be seen in some of the videos) but I'm wondering how it stays down? Is there something that holds it down like a spring? I imagine that if there's not something along those lines it would "float" up a little with any significant airflow over the wing.

Fyi the only internet I have is on my phone so if it can be seen on a larger screen, I'm SOL. I have watched the videos I could find trying to figure out how he has it rigged.

Back