• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Southwest engine issue causes lapse of Memory

I think that’s about 3K per minute which seems like a standard emergency descent procedure?

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Pretty shallow descent for emergency but I’m not confident flightaware could accurately capture the true rate of descent.

Also half sucked a female passenger out of the window. She died. Maybe I am just old, but grabbing my cell phone and filming myself would not be my major priority.

No, I haven't. But Gulfstreams, Global Expresses, Falcons were all more than 3600 fpm. Just an observation from my experience. So, idle power and air brakes isn't standard for emer descent for what you flew? Just curious. But with structural damage, ya they probably wouldn't be screaming down. My bad.

With a window blown out and holes in the fuselage and a blown engine. No. No spoilers for this guy.

No, I haven't. But Gulfstreams, Global Expresses, Falcons were all more than 3600 fpm. Just an observation from my experience. So, idle power and air brakes isn't standard for emer descent for what you flew? Just curious. It with structural damage, ya they probably wouldn't be screaming down. My bad.

Sad to hear about the fatality. Controller in Philly got a little flustered too.... got caught up in the event although the Captain wasn't speaking with any emotion about it.

Last edited:
Ex Navy Fighter Pilot!

Tammy Jo Shults

22AE66F8-B182-4E75-B1F6-53C18EAE59E4.jpg

That is the Captain who’s voice we hear on the tape.

Attachments

• 22AE66F8-B182-4E75-B1F6-53C18EAE59E4.jpg
    22AE66F8-B182-4E75-B1F6-53C18EAE59E4.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 290
I'm so sick of these people that don't have any aviation knowledge getting their smart phones out and telling the world "I'm going down in flames, I'm going down in flames". Meanwhile up in the cockpit the crew is working the problem. And when it's all safely over and the plane is on the ground, who does the media go running to the afore mentioned aviation idiot.:rant:

Broadcasting your own perceived imminent demise live on Facebook? Is this what we've come to?!? Personcards, revoked. Enough. Put the freaking phone away.

Damn good show in the cockpit. That had to be a bit of stressor with all hell breaking loose.

The airlines put you thru the wringer in the sim. She had surely done a hundred single engine landings there with fire lights blaring. The real thing is usually easier. I had two inflight emergencies during my career involving hemorrhaging passengers. The good old 727 wil come down in a hurry.

Broadcasting your own perceived imminent demise live on Facebook? Is this what we've come to?!? Personcards, revoked. Enough. Put the freaking phone away.

Damn good show in the cockpit. That had to be a bit of stressor with all hell breaking loose.

Pretty shallow descent for emergency but I’m not confident flightaware could accurately capture the true rate of descent.

CNN online says FlightRadar24 website estimated their descent from 31,684 > 10,000 feet took a little over 5 minutes. That's about 4,000 fpm.
I'm sure they're capable of more,
but with "pieces missing" (as the captain put it to ATC) probably best to be cautious.
Captain & crew did a good job in my uneducated opinion.

Good to see some "hero" recognition in media reports. "Guy in a cowboy hat blocked the window" - probably one of the same guys that helped retain the woman that was sitting there. Something to be said for the flight going to Dallas - obviously were some cowboys on board willing to stand up and help. Thanks guys.

737's are not easy airplanes to get down quickly, they dont like to come down, nothing like a 727 or some others. In the emergency descent checklist it states "consider structural integrity" so with that, gear and speed brakes may not be such a good idea, its hard to tell when you are in the cockpit and cant completely evaluate the situation.

CNN online says FlightRadar24 website estimated their descent from 31,684 > 10,000 feet took a little over 5 minutes. That's about 4,000 fpm.
I'm sure they're capable of more,
but with "pieces missing" (as the captain put it to ATC) probably best to be cautious
Captain & crew did a good job in my uneducated opinion.

Absolutely agree. When I posted that it was just a comment based on my experience, without knowing at the time they had structural damage. Captain stated to ATC they needed to slow down because they had "pieces missing". They indeed did a fine and professional job. Never intended to imply otherwise, nor would I as we never have all the information the crew has.

the crew did what they had to do---structural integrity---even a fighter pilot won`t split S FLUFF to get it down---the 727 will dump at 6000 FPM---remember the Airbus A380 ?? that almost took the main wing spar--- I like the Pratt & Whitney GTF series engines (geared turbo fan) on some new 737 `s---SLOWER fan RPM---optimizes airflow---John

Recall the 727 that ran into clear air turbulence over MI or MN 30-40 years ago. Ended up in inverted dive? Pilot dropped gear and flaps--- they got it out-- separated/ bent a wing aft about 4-5 inches of separation at wing root/ fuselage

ATCMemes politely cut out the part where the Approach controller questioned the pilot and had a few lines of dialogue about a "passenger that went out", before the controller was cut short and brought back to the task at hand.

Never let them see you sweat. Aviation is long hours of boredom punctuated by moments of stark terror. When the fertilizer hits the ventilator and what you do in the next few seconds or minutes determines whether you live or die, you don't have time to be scared.

Back