• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Trying to remove wing-walk and non-skid pads from top of floats.

Alex Clark

Life Long Alaskan
I am still outside stripping floats. It is around 49F.
The top of these old EDO 2960s have two or three layers of stick-on non-skid treads (yes all over the top of each other) and then some yahoo applied wing-walk over that a couple times. Many years ago... The stripper is not cutting it. The stick on pads are the old aluminum backed versions. Any ideas? The top of the floats are like an asphalt road. Plus I am still shaving 1970s era Bondo out of old dents.

Attachments

• 2012-12-31 065 (1280x749).jpg
    2012-12-31 065 (1280x749).jpg
    432.8 KB · Views: 150
  • 2012-12-31 060 (1280x707).jpg
    2012-12-31 060 (1280x707).jpg
    474.4 KB · Views: 147
Wing Walk that sticks too good? I'm not familiar with that.

When I did my 2960s I scraped most of the built-up wing walk off. I wasn't concerned with getting to bare aluminum, I just wanted a level surface to repaint.

Call Aerocet and replace with flat tops.

Heat and putty knife, friends and a keg of beer.

Don't worry, they won't be friends long after helping with that!

Well,, it turns out that 1/4 inch of old wing walk and a couple layers of old aluminum backed non-skid pads will burst into flames with a torch...
So, after I put out the flames.... I heated an old putty knife until it was red hot and was able to slip that under the layers and work it off with constant work and re-heat

It would have been a good use for an oscillating cutter/scraper

Yes indeed. I really do not have power over where I am stripping, but I have a bunch of huge extension cords. Not so sure around all the rivet heads when I can't see them.

Even the heat gun is too slow in our cool temps. ( snowed last night) So I was finally successful by throwing a bucket of water over the tops, then using a torch and putty knife. Had wife standing by with more water as things dried out and caught fire. I was ale to clear off 90% of both decks in 30 minutes with the use of good old fashion fire. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw11tCjAQM0

Back