• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA12 w/150hp - Which is the best Prop

F

flyjrg

I just acquired a PA12 with a lot of mods, I am trying to find out any information on the prop that is presently on it. It is a Sensenich M74DM57. I can't find the limits for this prop?
Any help would be much appreciated?
tks
Richard

That's definitely a cruise prop. Try a full throttle climb @ 60 and see what RPM it produces. If you want a good short field prop, that's not it. A Mac 82-41 or 42 would be a good climb prop. A Catto 82-39 is a great prop but not certified so you can't use THAT :roll:. It's always a tradeoff between takeoff/climb vs. cruise performance, unless you get the Hartzell constant speed, and then your CG will be in the next county and you'll probably have a new mortgage.

I have the 0-320, A3B, do you know if any of these are approved for it, I am looking for more of a climb prop??
any luck finding a used serviceable one?
tks,
Richard

thanks for y'alls reply!
I have the 0-320, A3B, do you know if any of these are approved for it, I am looking for more of a climb prop??
any luck finding a used serviceable one?
tks,
Richard

What is the mission? Big loads/short strip/not in a hurry? What part of the country? How much top end are you willing to loose?
DENNY

I'm actually planning on taking this on our "Out West" trip this summer. We fly the back country strips in Idaho, Utah and Montana. Speed is not an issue, would rather have the climb! The other planes I'm going with are at the most, 100mph.

150hp? 82-41 Borer. Target 2400-2450 static RPM. That should translate to 2700 rpm at wide open throttle in level cruise. Beware of used ones not being as meaty as they should be, and never trust a prop that hasn't visited a good prop shop recently.

I was delighted with my Borer 82/43 on my PA12 w/160 hp b2b.

I don't think I would have bought one used, though. For me the price difference between a new prop and a graded B or B plus or better wasn't that great. For $500 to $1,000 more I had the peace of mind of knowing the props history.

I just acquired a PA12 with a lot of mods, I am trying to find out any information on the prop that is presently on it. It is a Sensenich M74DM57. I can't find the limits for this prop? Any help would be much appreciated? ....

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgMakeModel.nsf/0/d4c3464bd2e4b33085256713004bf9f4/$FILE/P-886.PDF

On a cub 82/41 will get you around 83MPH at 2400 rpm. Not sure on a 12. I run a 82/43 on the 160 hp cub (87 mph at 2400) I am usually the slow one in our group, no big deal, if I am running with Cessna's I usually leave first and let them pass me, they have the fuel and parking figured out when I get there.
DENNY

The speed of the plane is a factor of the drag of that airplane. A -12 is faster than an -18. A -12 with small tires is faster than with 31s. A -12 with EDO 2000s is faster than with 31s and a BBW. Pick your priorities.

On my 12/150 w/typical mods. the 82-41 produced 90 @ 2400 and bumping the prop to 42" brought it up to 92.

I bought a 12 150 hp last July with super cub mods which had a 52 pitch prop and went to 82/43 and made big difference for takeoff and climb. Also put AWB 29" and gps speed is 97 at 2450 and get 2725 wot. Borer prop is much smoother!

FWIW I had an 74DM6 prop on my old C150/150TD.
I bought it new at 56" pitch.
Too much, when I took it in for repitch they measured it and told me it was closer to 57.
I had it twisted back down to a bit over 54.
Worked great-- good takeoff and climb and acceptable cruise.
Never checked the static rpm, but it turned up to about 2750 or a bit more WFO at sea level.
If you're on a budget, you might just repitch what you have now.
FWIW a repitch cost me $300 back in 2012-
dunno what it costs now, but no doubt a lot less than a new (or even used) borer.

How about a recommendation on a max cruise speed prop?
I have an 0-320-A2B 150hp with a borer prop currently.

For MAX cruise: There used to be a few old " polar bear" props floating around Anchorage they were 74/60's. And they were used exclusively in the winter, for flying out over the ice to the Russian coast to hunt white bears. Most of the cubs had 4 tanks for a total of 72 gals. I bought an O290D2 off old Don Johnson once and he claimed to have an 18 with 60 pitch prop that would cruise 110mph with 2000 skis rigged flat....

Last edited:
150hp? 82-41 Borer. Target 2400-2450 static RPM. That should translate to 2700 rpm at wide open throttle in level cruise. Beware of used ones not being as meaty as they should be, and never trust a prop that hasn't visited a good prop shop recently.

On that note; how would I know if my Borer 82-42 should go to a prop shop?

Homebuilt PA-12, O-320-160 hp.

For what its worth, I had a PA-12 150HP with Borer 82x43 worked great! I live in the mountains field elevation 5600'. I would cruise right at 105 mph and get 800' fpm climb. I ran regular 12 landing gear and 29" tires.

Back