Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ideas for Aviation friendly communities or Air Parks???

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Clark View Post
    I have been looking at Lake Property houses on the Trullia website for a year now. Texas, Oklahoma, and recently Arkansas and Tennessee.
    I see lots of docks and boat ramps in the photos, including other houses around the lakes.

BUT,,,, I never see any floatplanes tied up anywhere. In fact I often see boats jacked up out of the water. Seldom in the water.

Do a lot of those lakes have some sort of weird rules about the boat having to be out of the water while not in use ???

I have heard that in some states you can land on a lake but not water-taxi a floatplane for some bizarre reason.
    For sure, some do have strange rules, but I don't know of any that require the boats to be out of the water. I know the lake I live on was privately developed and is privately owned. They don't allow aircraft on the lake, although one local has had his amphibious float plane on it a number of times. They added that rule just for him, so he also registered his floats with the state as a boat and thumbed his nose at the managing agency. Some of the lakes are OK with it, while others aren't. So you have to look closely, and that can take a lot of time and energy where you hit road blocks and have to reset and start over on your house shopping.

Some boat owners have lifts in their docks so they can lift the boats out of the water to prevent damage from wave action from the other boats and water skiers out playing in the lake.

-Cub Builder

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    For the best all around Cub flying in the US maybe even the world you need to live in the North East 😉

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Likes 40m, OldCuby liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a hangar w/ a seperate 1 acre lot at Sunrise Skypark in Givens, ID. The runway parallels the Snake River w/ a boat ramp. Great community. Country setting, but 40 minutes to Boise. Idaho is a very plane friendly state with a lot of backcountry adventures. Close to Utah which also has a lot of adventures to be had. If interested give me a call.
    TWO ZERO 8 - 6 9 SEVEN - 3 8 8 FIVE

CHRIS

Post Thanks / Like
    I've lived on two different residential airparks. As long as I can afford it, that's where I'll live. Mallard's Landing (GA04), which is a bit far for you (Georgia), and Woodbridge (MS04) in MS.

I'd like to move west, but haven't found what I'm looking for...and mallards is incredibly nice. 4000 ft lighted grass....

Post Thanks / Like
    After all is said and done, it has to be all about where the kids and grandkids are.

There is no lonelier person than an old man opening the door to his hangar with his dream plane inside - but without someone to share the excitement with. Life is short - fly your ass off; but let's all remember that home truly - and I do mean truly - is where our heart is.
    Thanks flyrite, G44 thanked for this post
    Likes flyrite, G44, algonquin, kestrel, super stol and 1 others liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee View Post
    After all is said and done, it has to be all about where the kids and grandkids are.

There is no lonelier person than an old man opening the door to his hangar with his dream plane inside - but without someone to share the excitement with. Life is short - fly your ass off; but let's all remember that home truly - and I do mean truly - is where our heart is.

Read the tail Tennessee
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	67FF8DAE-8330-415A-8B35-E07476A69531.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	44323
    Thanks Tennessee thanked for this post
    Likes Tennessee, 8GCBC liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    What village did you settle in? In my younger years, I fished Spring River every year with my dad!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by womblesd View Post
    What village did you settle in? In my younger years, I fished Spring River every year with my dad!
    Womblesd, If Your question is for me, I live on my own property,3000’ runway on a hundred acres, live in my house hanger combination. Life is good!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee View Post

Tennessee,
    I agree with your sentiment completely. I’m in a unique position now being newly married I’d like to pick a spot to either move or buy property now for a vacation home. Starting the trips now means that it would be a destination through the working years and then a retirement home.
    So far it’s the black hills of SD or western MT.
    Likes flyrite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cub Builder View Post
    FWIW, I spent a number of summer vacations flying around the country looking at real estate and airports before I retired. I landed in the Ozarks of North Central Arkansas in a small village built around some small man made lakes. Taxes are reasonable. Property is inexpensive. There are a lot of private air strips around, and land that can be bought if you want to build your own. I chose to buy a house on one of the lakes and use the municipal airport as hangar rent is also inexpensive. A 48' wide T hangar with a bi-fold door runs $150/mo in our area. I leased a 48 x 48 hangar for $200/mo. A nice house on the lake is just over $200K. I've got a dock behind the house. Usually go kayaking in the evenings. Good fishing in the lake. Trout fishing in the Spring River close by. It's just a short hop over to Gaston's for breakfast. Our winters are pretty mild, but we've got some serious humidity in the summer. It may not be for everyone, but was the perfect place for me.

-Cub Builder

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tbone View Post
    Tennessee,
    I agree with your sentiment completely. I’m in a unique position now being newly married I’d like to pick a spot to either move or buy property now for a vacation home. Starting the trips now means that it would be a destination through the working years and then a retirement home.
    So far it’s the black hills of SD or western MT.
    I just bought a summer house here - https://sunwestranch.com/ - after driving by the ranch for 20 years. It is gated (but not snobby) and it is on 3 miles of one of the 5 best fly fishing rivers in the lower 48. Sun West is a one of a kind place to live. It's 20 minutes by car away from the full service Ennis, Mt airport (KEKS), a short hop to the Henrys Lake grass airfield in Idaho (U53), a short hop to the grass and hard surface West Yellowstone airport (KWYS) and a great hopping off point for Driggs and all of the fantastic Idaho backcountry strips. There are lots available at KEKS, but I would only want to put a hangar there. There are too many other beautiful places to buy or build a house! Ennis is a great little town in itself. Anyone interested in the Madison River Valley, shoot me a PM.
    Likes flyrite, OLDCROWE liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve flown all over the lower 48 and if I was looking for warm winter spot it would be north Captiva island Florida, but you’d better save up.