Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for Aviation friendly communities or Air Parks???

Post Thanks / Like
    Realtor, you can find it online. 42416 N 251st Ave, 85342

Post Thanks / Like

In the same boat

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Clark View Post
    Once again my bride of many years is pestering me to move out of Alaska at least in the winter months. She craves warmth and a swimming pool.
    Everyday (twice a day) she has a new list of potential homes and towns. Her ideas of nice places to live are not the same as mine.
    So.... I might as well get myself into the process before I get stuck in someplace terrible.

Are there certain states or areas that are NOT aviation friendly that should be avoided ???
    How about areas that are more likely to have aviation activities, fly-ins and such???
    How about air parks or community runways??? Are there down-sides to those?

Any ideas???
    My Wife & I like the weather intake Phoenix Area we traveled around looking at Air Parks within a 75 mile Radius , we found a very well laid out Development Pegasus Airpark about 45 minutes SE of Scottsdale it’s located at Queen Creek . The Airpark caters to Piston Powered Aircraft with a couple of Turbines lots of Backcountry flying right out the Back Door . Since we purchased our lot I know of 3 other Alaskans that have also bought there . Check it out a lot better than setting on a Golf Course wishing you were back home Flying to Skwentna for a Winter Lunch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mam90 View Post
    Alex, We went through the same thing when we left Alaska in the late 80’s. It was a real culture shock for sure. Now I’m recently retired and we’re trying to figure out our next move. Always thought we’d head back to Alaska, or at least places West. Didn’t think through that our kids were raised here and moving that far away is probably not in the cards, so the whole thing is up in the air. Good luck, hope you find what you’re looking for..
    Mark, come to SW Michigan. We love it here!

Kurt
    Thanks mam90 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    SO FAR, FOR ARIZONA I HAVE THIS LIST.... I am probably missing some...

Big Springs Airpark Prescott
    Castle Wells Morristown
    Eagle Roost Airpark Aguila
    Flying Diamond Airpark Tucson
    Flying J Ranch Pima
    Hangar Haciendas Laveen
    High Mesa Air Park Safford
    Inde Motorsports Ranch Airport Wilcox
    Indian Hills Airpark Salome
    LaCholla Airpark Oro Valley
    Mogollon Airpark Overgaard
    Montezuma Heights Airpark Camp Verd

Moreton Airpark Wickenburg
    Pegasus Airpark Empire
    Pilot's Rest Airpark Paulden
    Ruby Star Airpark Green Valley
    Skyranch at Carefree Carefree
    Stellar Air Park Chandler
    Sun Valley Airpark Fort Mohave
    Thunder Ridge Airpark Morristown
    Triangle Airpark White Hills
    Twin Hawks Marana
    Valley of the Eagle Aguila
    Western Sky Salome
    Whetstone Airpark Whetstone

Post Thanks / Like
    Montana, Idaho can be really cold of course that is relative.
    Western Washington is wet
    Eastern Washington Foggy much of the winter
    I personal spend time in Chandler, AZ and Bozeman, Mt in the winter and a lot of time in Washington, Idaho and Montana in the summer.
    I found Trinity Center (O86) in California interesting. For the most part California is easy to fly around in, not sure about the taxes there.
    For what it is worth, I have a PA12 on an amphi's and an Piper Malibu the Western US is great flying.

Post Thanks / Like
    No California for me.
    The property taxes in Arizona seem to be less than Texas. I need to figure out how much the state income taxes would be. It might be a wash.

Post Thanks / Like
    No California for me.
    The property taxes in Arizona seem to be less than Texas. I need to figure out how much the state income taxes would be. It might be a wash.
    Alex
    I recently purchased property in Sierra Vista. I believe you are correct the property tax in Arizona is reasonable compared to my home state of Minnesota. As far as income tax I was informed by my accountant that no tax would be due Arizona unless I declared that my primary residence and spent (I believe in excess of 182 days a year in Arizona). As a side note the state income tax in Arizona is less than MN. Everyone's situation is different depending on homestead options etc. look at the entire picture and decide what works best for you. Best of luck from a soon to be snowbird.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    My wife and I are considering snowbirding in Arizona after I retire at the end of this year. We spent a week there in February looking around. You might consider the Robson's Ranch retirement community at Eloy, which is less than 10 minutes from the local airport, E60. It's only 20 minutes from Casa Grande, a decent sized town on I-10.
    Thanks tbone thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Keep in mind Alex, everything in the states will cost less to buy in the states compared to Homer so even with state income tax and sales tax in most places you will be ahead.

Kurt

Post Thanks / Like
    With the legalized gambling taxed in Nevada, seems like taxes for vehicles homes even sales tax should be minimal or non-existent?
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, Nevada is a no income tax state. The last time I was down around Nellis and Indian Springs I noticed that the food prices at the stores in North Vegas were about the same as Soldotna and Kenai AK prices. I have looked at some places ( over the internet) around ELKO NV. I have flown around the parts of Nevada that are legal to fly over. I know why they used it as a nuclear test zone. I guess the areas around Reno and along the border with CA are very pretty. I wonder how income taxes work if you rent out your house in Arizona ( or where-ever) while you are back home in AK, like as in air BNB or something like that. ??? If my business is based in Alaska, do I still pay AZ income tax since the rental property would be down there??? It would be nice to find a place where I could instruct for a few years in the winter. Being the worlds best seaplane instructor is no fun when the lakes are frozen.
    Thanks Bill.Brine thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I found this list of Texas Air Park type places

http://airportairparkhomes.com/texashomes.asp

Some of these place are very, very high priced. I can just bet my Carhart wearing ass and little 180 would be all sorts of welcome amongst the polo shirt and Citation jet crowd.
    Likes OLDCROWE liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    My wife and I decided to settle in Arkansas. It might be worthy of consideration for some of you considering this subject. Here are some things to think about:

Pros:
    -- Lots of outdoor opportunities. Lakes, rivers, hills, mountains, hunting, fishing, you name it.
    -- Respectable and growing backcountry-ish aviation. RAF recently opened a strip in NW Arkansas. Lots of private strips whose owners have granted permission... see https://airfield.guide/default.asp
    -- Good cultural stuff when you need it in northwest and central Arkansas
    -- Climate. Not much snow. Unlike where I lived in Texas, 10 gust 20 is not considered a calm day.

Cons:
    -- It's Arkansas. Americans from the other 49 states sometimes assume certain negative stereotypes apply to Arkansans.
    -- Taxes are higher than some neighboring states, but military retiree pensions are not taxed by the state
    -- Climate. It's hot and humid in the summer.

My wife and I own a lot on a strip in Central Arkansas. Some people have put real nice houses along it. Others have real nice collections of junk. But, the front yard abuts the grass strip. Back yard abuts a stocked trout river. Pretty hard to find that combo elsewhere.
    Likes OLDCROWE, Alex Clark, Gone Flyin' liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I found this list of Texas Air Park type places

http://airportairparkhomes.com/texashomes.asp

Some of these place are very, very high priced. I can just bet my Carhart wearing ass and little 180 would be all sorts of welcome amongst the polo shirt and Citation jet crowd.
    Try Oklahoma, they let anyone live there

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Even you Glenn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by slowmover View Post

My wife and I own a lot on a strip in Central Arkansas. Some people have put real nice houses along it. Others have real nice collections of junk. But, the front yard abuts the grass strip. Back yard abuts a stocked trout river. Pretty hard to find that combo elsewhere.
    Valley?
    Remember, These are the Good old Days!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OLDCROWE View Post
    Valley?
    River Acres. 3AR8
    Thanks tbone thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    River Acres. 3AR8
    Sweet spot and a great river to fish, we looked all over Arkansas for a lot on a good river before we decided to move to the land of never ending projects... Meanwhile, back at the Ranch!
    Last edited by OLDCROWE; 04-14-2018 at 07:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like one lot has it's own private junk yard!

River Acres. 3AR8
    "Put out my hand and touched the face of God!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Tax info per state if your interested.

https://wallethub.com/edu/best-worst...taxpayer/2416/
    Thanks flylowslow thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Two ideas -

Look at Deerfield resort in Tennessee. It's a big development on a big lake with a very nice airstrip. The winters are not tropical, by any stretch, but it ain't Alaska.

You might consider looking at the Plantation on Saint George Island in Florida. Upper end, not an airpark either but it does have its own airstrip, , it has white beaches and it's not too far from the amenities of Appalachicola.

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.deerfieldresort.com/
    Interesting. I wonder if they allow floatplanes?

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone been in Kanab Utah in the winter?

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anybody had experience with 46U Alpine Airpark in Alpine, WY?
    Looks amazing and the tax benefits would be huge!

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are stinkin’ rich, there’s probably no better summer aviation community for a cub driver than the one in Alpine, Wyoming. Cold and snowy in the winter though, but in the summer - wow. Good medical care in Jackson. I was just there yesterday. It’s a deserted icebox.

if you like lake living, look into Deerfield resort in East Tennessee.

The hill country of Texas has a lot going for it.
    Last edited by Tennessee; 02-03-2019 at 11:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    My wife bought an investment house south of Fort Worth Texas and one of our daughters is currently renting it.
    It is not where I would want to live, and thus a HUGE source of tension right now.
    Hopefully it will go up in value in a couple years so we can sell it. But my wife has pulled this on me before with another house up in Anchorage. ( rented out to another of our kids, for years now.. )
    I guess I could sell my 180 and buy my own house down south. But then I would not have a plane... Maybe I could just live in the back of the 180 all winter...

Post Thanks / Like
    Draw a triangle in Texas from San Antonio, to DFW, to Houston. Anything inside of there will be overpopulated and unlivable in the next 20 years, proceed with caution. If I were to pick up and move thousands of miles away for a retirement place on a grass strip, I’d look into Arkansas. I’ve heard of some beautiful places up there.
    Likes super stol, RaisedByWolves, Brandsman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Alex, we have had a house on North Padre Is. and the value hasn't moved in ten years. I'm waiting also.
    We spent the night in Pine Bluff AR, on the way north from Steve Pearce's last month. It's still rural there and people were very nice. Lots of building going on also.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    Alex, we have had a house on North Padre Is. and the value hasn't moved in ten years. I'm waiting also.
    We spent the night in Pine Bluff AR, on the way north from Steve Pearce's last month. It's still rural there and people were very nice. Lots of building going on also.
    Gotta love Pine Bluff, beautiful area. I used to have an employee who telecommuted from there. She would say it’s great untill that lovely paper mill smell wafts over the town on a summer night...it will almost take your mind off of the Army’s chemical weapons storage facility.
    Likes 180Marty liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OLDCROWE View Post
    Gotta love Pine Bluff, beautiful area. I used to have an employee who telecommuted from there. She would say it’s great untill that lovely paper mill smell wafts over the town on a summer night...it will almost take your mind off of the Army’s chemical weapons storage facility.
    Pine Bluff has a great airport restaurant and a respected avionics shop. It also sometimes makes the "most dangerous city in America" list. If you want to live in Arkansas, I would draw a line from the southwest corner to the northeast corner. Then live in the northwest half of that.

Post Thanks / Like
    It also sometimes makes the "most dangerous city in America" list.
    I stopped for gas at a convenience store one time and hoped nothing bad happened since I was in the minority. The sign on the entrance said"Only one student at a time allowed inside". I always remember that one Ha Ha.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pine Bluff has a great airport restaurant and a respected avionics shop.
    That's good to know.

Thanks,

Post Thanks / Like
    Pine Bluff has a great airport restaurant and a respected avionics shop. It also sometimes makes the "most dangerous city in America" list. If you want to live in Arkansas, I would draw a line from the southwest corner to the northeast corner. Then live in the northwest half of that.
    I kinda draw that line along the Red River.......and live north of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    So I live and fly from my own farm in east Arkansas (a safe distance from Pine Bluff) and southeast of slowmover's diagonal, and I want to go west and some of you guys want to come here?!?! Having been out to CA a few times all that desert twixt here and there makes it look like we live in Eden. A lot of people from Texas come here for lakes and rivers and our low mountains they say. If you come here be ready to talk to everybody cause they're gonna talk to you. We have lot of nice flying wx especially compared to the windy (you know who you are) states. Also most of our elected officials are not taterheads (as my friend says) or if they were they moved on (you know who). Did I just talk myself into staying here? Merde.
    Likes OLDCROWE, Brandsman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I live in East Tennessee, so I’ll go into the pros and cons a little bit. I already mentioned Deerfield resort. It’s more of a big lake subdivision with an very nice airstrip than it is an air park, but the last I looked there are a couple of taxiway access lots and several hangar lots that are still available. It’s about an hour from Knoxville and it’s shopping. The runway is near the lake but it’s not at lake level. Home prices in Tn. are very, very low compared with anywhere else I know of. There are no state income taxes.

Summers are moderate, springs are beautiful, fall can be spectacular some years. Winters are drab and grey days alternating with blue and fantastic days. Knoxville has very good but not great healthcare. Rural East Tennessee has subpar healthcare.

The people are - different. They are perceptive but not always highly educated. There is an expectation of friendliness. You will actually insult many of them if they are friendly to you and you are not friendly back. Even strangers. Lord help you if you are a male and you can’t talk SEC football. Nobody is insulted if you want to talk about Jesus. I have lived in East Tennessee for over 30 years and have never once heard the N-word. If you are a “liberal”, look elsewhere. You won’t be happy.

Every county has an airport. There is good maintenance at the main Knoxville airport. There are no back-country landing opportunities that I know of, but here are lots of beautiful places to fly over.
    Thanks Brandsman thanked for this post
    Likes Brandsman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I see photos of beautiful airparks in all sorts of amazing areas. I see airports with low investments and high investments. I’m sure there are some that others view differently than I, as I need that green color - couldn’t live in a desert. At the end of the day, although there’s not much up here for airparks, living and flying the northeast is pretty damn good.
    That said, there’s a few, like Windsock Village on Lake Ossipee, NH that can give you year round fun.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    Subscribing to this thread.

I have been searching for a small patch of a desert strip for years now. AZ (Wickenburg or Aguila), NV (Pahrump), and NM (Moriarty/Edgewood area) are high on my list. If anyone has suggestions in any of those areas outside the obvious, I would be very appreciative.

Post Thanks / Like
    No California for me.
    Glad you mentioned this. Income tax benefits in some states heavily outweigh others.
    Map showing tax-friendly states

https://www.kiplinger.com/tool/taxes...-map/index.php
    Last edited by JohnnyR; 02-07-2019 at 05:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    That link took me to one of those 20 page deal that don't tell you anything

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    That link took me to one of those 20 page deal that don't tell you anything
    Fixed the link!