• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Catto Prop Bolts

J5Ron

GONE WEST
Valdez, Alaska
I love my Catto prop as previously discussed. Has anyone noticed the extreme tight fit of the prop bolts that come with the prop. One of my flying buddy’s broke one off in the crank.

Anyone else notice this as well?

Are they tight in the hole through the prop or is the hole spacing not spot on to the bushing on the flange?

I've had three Catto props. Two seemed to have holes through the wood core less than perpendicular to the face of the prop. The steel inserts were aligned and spaced properly but because the bolt came through at a bit of an angle they seemed tight. On a few holes I opened the diameter through the wood with a twist drill and that cured things.

Last edited:
I've had several Catto props and never had that issue.

Are they tight in the hole through the prop or is the hole spacing not spot on to the bushing on the flange?

No they are tight without the prop...we ran one through a 3/8” x 24 die and goes in much better...
had this issue with several different props and sets...

i didn’t think about it until we had to extract one...

I’m running into this. How is some one supposed to get a decent torque value. There not even set and I’m worried something is going to get damaged if I wrench harder.

Doesn’t seem right them being that tight.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

I’ve had to run a 0.375” reamer through due to the interference fit on the bolts. Then used a dial type torque wrench while applying torque /holding the torque until the wrench quit moving.. right now I don’t recall how many foot pounds... but held the meter on the torque wrench at that specification

IMG_1097.JPGIMG_1098.JPGIMG_1099.JPG

So I just got off the phone with saber who is the supplier of said bolts and supposedly he hasn’t seen the pitting like what I received on my set.
He also said they might have a bit of sway to em due to heating.
Either way I think I got a bunk set. Look at the face of each one l. Some tapered some not.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_1097.JPG
    IMG_1097.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_1098.JPG
    IMG_1098.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_1099.JPG
    IMG_1099.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 181
Once I sent the pictures he is getting a new set on the way.

Bad luck I suppose, the new prop is so gorgeous, but I’m grounded for now. [emoji849]

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

I wasn't impressed with the bolts. If sway means the head of the bolt makes an orbit when being turned in the threads-----I have one or two that did that.

Does anyone know the actual size? I have a request out to Catto as I experienced this same issue. It cost me a prop flange bushing which was quite pricey.

Catto has not responded and I am looking to see what I can replace them with.

They are tight in the holes thru hub for sure, Marks idea of simply running a reamer thru before installing is going to be the best cure. Otherwise you will fight it every trip, oiling the bolt shaft, can actually make it worse. So ream em and ride. ��

Does anyone know the actual size? I have a request out to Catto as I experienced this same issue. It cost me a prop flange bushing which was quite pricey.

Catto has not responded and I am looking to see what I can replace them with.

Just spoke to Nicole. We were trying to figure out who you are vice a forum name. Can you call her at two zero nine-7 five 4-3 five five 3?

Yep, my first call would have been to Nicole. The customer service at Catto has been great for me and Nicole has helped several times with questions/concerns.

Daryl

My experience with saber’s bolts:
saber heat treats them but doesn’t do a really good job straightening them after. You need to spend a few minutes checking and straightening them prior to installing.
Chuck them up in a drill press or lathe and slowly spin the bolt. Roll them on a flat table works too. If it wobbles a bit it will bind in the prop hub and give erroneous torque readings.
Mark the “high side” of the bolt then put a nut on it to protect threads, lay it horizontally in a hyd press.
Lean on it a bit, may take a few tries, they are like spring steel.
goes pretty quick once you figure it out how much pressure it takes.

if there’s interference with threads when threading into hub (without prop) and you’ve confirmed the inserts are in good shape, probably a bad batch of bolts. DO NOT run a die on them, the threads should be rolled not cut with die.
die cut threads form sharp “v” notch, a stress point prone to fracture over time.

Last edited:
Back