• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Elevator balance cable spring

ron

Wanaka,NZ
Can anyone help with a part number for the top elevator balance cable Spring on a pa 18-105 please.Thanks Ron.

Elevator Balance Cable Spring

Hi Ron

Not an expert in these matters by any means.

I would suggest 10940-2 (Univair U10940-002) but perhaps you could draw your own conclusions from Piper Drawing 12263, it has quite a lot of info in the notes about the various configurations.

Kind regards

Stew

Attachments

• 12263_Bungee Installation_mod.pdf
    266.1 KB · Views: 277
  • 12263_Bungee Installation.jpg
    12263_Bungee Installation.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 1,382
Hi Ron

Not an expert in these matters by any means.

I would suggest 10940-2 (Univair U10940-002) but perhaps you could draw your own conclusions from Piper Drawing 12263, it has quite a lot of info in the notes about the various configurations.

Kind regards

Stew

Thankyou Stew,My son has just bought this cub and as yet I only have seen a small photograph of a broken Spring hanging down vertically in this area.The part you have itemised appears to be the one.In your opinion would there be any problem in ferrying this aircraft with this Spring broken?Regards,Ron.

Thankyou Stew,My son has just bought this cub and as yet I only have seen a small photograph of a broken Spring hanging down vertically in this area.The part you have itemised appears to be the one.In your opinion would there be any problem in ferrying this aircraft with this Spring broken?Regards,Ron.

on HEAVY cubs that spring and cable gets removed.... it just to help keep the tail down, empty...

Hi Ron

The only other spring in that area would be the trim cable tensioning spring (top right of drawing)..

If that spring was dangling then the stabilizer trim would not function.

Kind regards

Stew

Attachments

• 13000_Yoke Installation_Stabilizer Adjustment.jpg
    13000_Yoke Installation_Stabilizer Adjustment.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 493
If I have an electric trim why do I need the elevator (trim) tension spring?

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for your info.The spring in question was the upper elevator Spring.We replaced this and during the operation we disconnected the lower Spring.Now operating the aircraft on PK floats.The spring juggling has now made the takeoff a much lighter excercise��

Some Super Cubs can be flown without changing trim at all - a pleasant experience. Others absolutely need trim when making flap changes. I always assumed it had to do with how stretched-out that spring got. I suppose I should have looked to see if it was left out.

Back