Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: current $$ for PPonk engine, and Continentals SB's on cam gears

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by supercub View Post
    I would say that is very typical. After hearing nothing but good things about Lycon for years, and working for a shop that dealt with them for years, when it came time for me to have an engine overhauled about a year ago, I took it there against advice from a friend that had just had a nightmarish experience with them and had warned me against using them. I can honestly say, it was the worst business dealing I've ever had in my entire life. Since that time I have talked to at least 6 people that have had the same problem, won't return phone calls, no answers when you do get through, and months and months if literally not a year or more to complete work.
    So I'm not surprised they didn't return your phone call. I had documented 27 times they said they would call me back the next day and I waited 2-3 days before calling them back and still couldn't get answers. Extremely frustrating. Was told they would have the engine torn down and inspected and would contact me in 2-3 weeks, I waited 6 weeks to give time, and so not bug them before I tried to contact them, still no answers and it went down hill from there. Another gentleman I talked to was told the same thing, he waited 4 months before contacting them, and they still had not answers for him, same problem as me, they would call him back the next day, which they never did. When I talked to him it had been 6 months, and he wasn't sure what he was going to do.
    When was this? Had LyCon do a prop strike inspection which we turned into an overhaul and some enhancements and was delivered on time. I do have a good repor with them.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Likes flyrite, JeffP liked this post

Let me check my GPS, gee how'd we ever navigate with those sectional things?
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mostly in the last year or so. My personal experience was last fall and winter. A very well known shop in the area that has been in business for 40 plus years, and has dealt with Lycon for years with very good results has had the same experience. In fact the owner told me he was switching to another shop to send his engine work to. Not because of qulaity so much but because of lack of communication and extreme times.
    Last edited by supercub; 08-05-2018 at 05:24 PM.

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mostly in the last year or so. My personal experience was last fall and winter. A very well known shop in the area that has been in business for 40 plus years, and has dealt with Lycon for years with very good results has had the same experience. In fact the owner told me he was switching to another shop to send his engine work to. Not because of qulaity so much but because of lack of communication and extreme times.
    sounds like they are just good busy....

Post Thanks / Like
    That they are. Ken works 7 days a week.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers
    Likes mike mcs repair, flyrite liked this post

Let me check my GPS, gee how'd we ever navigate with those sectional things?
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    That they are. Ken works 7 days a week.
    I think that is part of the problem, but with over 27 documented times I was told they would call me back either that day or the next day with information and no phone calls, and then waiting at least 2 days to call, and still not having answer and this going on for months, and then work being performed that was not authorized. This goes well beyond just "being busy" and like I said, I've talked to at least 6 different individuals that have had similar problems recently, plus one very well know shop in my area. I was warned, but brushed it off, because of previous reputation and experiences I was aware of. Never again. I hope you have better experience then I and others that I've talked to recently have had.

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think that is part of the problem, but with over 27 documented times I was told they would call me back either that day or the next day with information and no phone calls, and then waiting at least 2 days to call, and still not having answer and this going on for months, and then work being performed that was not authorized. This goes well beyond just "being busy" and like I said, I've talked to at least 6 different individuals that have had similar problems recently, plus one very well know shop in my area. I was warned, but brushed it off, because of previous reputation and experiences I was aware of. Never again. I hope you have better experience then I and others that I've talked to recently have had.
    I’ve been known to block calls from my customers, so I can get their work done. And if that don’t work throw their project out and let them go annoy someone else

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe it's because they became a "name brand" shop.
    That tends to make some folks prima donnas.
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

Post Thanks / Like
    Have never felt like LyCon was a name brand shop.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    In 2012 we put a factory new IO-550 in a A36 banana that I fly. 447 hrs later not a single cylinder would hold 50psi and 2 we’re close to 0 and 2 we’re low 30s. We pulled them all and exhaust and intake valves had .010 stem wear and at least that much guide wear. 3 different shops told me I was lucky getting that much time as they had lots of them in for repairs with less than 300 hrs TTSN.
    Continental wouldn’t cop to any issues and the warranty was out by calendar so we sent them to Greeley Co. and Joe put superior parts in the heads and it has been great ever since.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Just an update: took about six months from deposit to engine arrival w/Ly-Con