• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Traveling through Canada

They never ask for your medical. They just want to know about alcohol, drugs, more than $10,000, fire arms and why you are coming to Canada.

Jim

By that logic, it’s okay to do as you like as long as you don’t get caught? I’m going to stick with my methods, thanks.

Seems like this thread ran its course last spring but thought I’d add a couple comments.

First, the radio station license is not required for US registered aircraft in Canada and vice versa. It’s confusing, because you’ll find telecommunications rules that certainly seem to indicate it does, but there are treaties in place that negate the need. If a Canadian aircraft enters Mexico, however, it’s required. There’s a longer explanation but I won’t bore you all with it.

The above posting regarding flight plans versus iteneraries pretty much answers the question. Where iteneraries are a practical necessity is when your destination has no practical communication options other that satellite text messaging - a situation I’ve encountered frequently in the remote north. Tough to close a flight plan that way. I suppose a sat phone would do the trick but I don’t have one. I send an InReach text message to my wife and she knows where I’m at. Another practical need for an itenerary versus a plan is when multiple stops are anticipated at remote locations and you can’t reliably predict your arrival time at the final destination. The key difference between an interary and a plan is the search and rescue time. The max SAR time with a plan is 1 hour, so if the fishing is good in the Liard river you can end up becoming more famous that you’d hoped.

Generally long guns aren’t a problem as long as the magazine capacity limits aren’t exceeded. I think that’s a 5 round maximum but you’d want to check that to be sure. When you start getting into cut down, modified weapons it gets more complicated. Lots of folks here carry ‘defender’ style shotguns, which are non-restricted. Some carry mares leg lever guns with 12” barrels which, somewhat surprisingly, are also non restricted. I think its the one class of firearm that’s actually less regulated here than in some US jurisdictions. I carry a Marlin 1895 45-70 because, well, if I have to shoot at it I really want it to stop whatever the hell it’s doing.

Lastly, coming into Canada without a valid medical is a recipie for going home without your airplane. Lots of things they won’t check for - until they do.

I fly a fair amount on both sides of the border and really don’t find many differences. Certainly not enough to dissuade me from making any trip, that’s for sure. Safe travels!

Aviation is a strange side line for the officers, so they get a folder of what is required and they read it and then ask the pilot for what the list said is required.now the loop hole would be if one were to be flying on a basic med cert. they would be legal here and the ICE/ CBP can't enforce Canadian law. LOL, Who's going to try this out ?

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by TcraftF21 They never ask for your medical. They just want to know about alcohol, drugs, more than $10,000, fire arms and why you are coming to Canada.

Jim

I got ask for all three plus passport flying back into Montana last lime.
Doug

Lastly, coming into Canada without a valid medical is a recipie for going home without your airplane. Lots of things they won’t check for - until they do.

And, that's the rub....just because nobody checked it last time doesn't suggest the next guy won't. And there's not a lot of room to argue when crossing borders.

MTV

Then why do you get a wallet card when you print out your certificate?

The wallet card is a convenience thing. Carry it if you want, but not required. I expect the theory is if asked by an Inspector during a ramp check, you can show the wallet card. Otherwise, you would have to send or present a copy at an office later.

MTV

We have a Class 4 medical in Canada, which is not recognized by the U.S.
The U.S. Basic Med is not recognized in Canada.

My point is that you made a blanket statement that is not correct. The guidelines for Basic Med says to keep it in your logbook. Your logbook does not have to be on your person or in the plane.

Your point?

Last I checked, if you’re under BasicMed, you’re SOL insofar as piloting GA in Canada. Better confirm with Transport Canada prior to entry.

My point is that you made a blanket statement that is not correct. The guidelines for Basic Med says to keep it in your logbook. Your logbook does not have to be on your person or in the plane.

Perhaps we are splitting hairs here, Eddie, but to clarify:

The conversation was about flight in Canada and a US pilot flying GA in Canada must have a medical certificate. When I or most people talk about our medical, it is about the certificate or exam.

BasicMed is not a certificate; it is a qualification. If we the BasicMed route, we are “qualifying” through the program and are flying under BasicMed without an FAA medical certificate.

In order to legally fly a GA aircraft as PIC in Canada under current Transport Canada regulations, BasicMed is not recognized. We must have a medical certificate (and have it with us when flying in the US. I don’t know Canada’s reg on physical possession, but since this discussion is about flying “through” Canada, we’d need it on both ends. And, CBP could very well ask us for it upon arrival.).

You must be a politician.

Perhaps we are splitting hairs here, Eddie, but to clarify:

The conversation was about flight in Canada and a US pilot flying GA in Canada must have a medical certificate. When I or most people talk about our medical, it is about the certificate or exam.

BasicMed is not a certificate; it is a qualification. If we the BasicMed route, we are “qualifying” through the program and are flying under BasicMed without an FAA medical certificate.

In order to legally fly a GA aircraft as PIC in Canada under current Transport Canada regulations, BasicMed is not recognized. We must have a medical certificate (and have it with us when flying in the US. I don’t know Canada’s reg on physical possession, but since this discussion is about flying “through” Canada, we’d need it on both ends. And, CBP could very well ask us for it upon arrival.).

And, that's the rub....just because nobody checked it last time doesn't suggest the next guy won't. And there's not a lot of room to argue when crossing borders.

MTV

True - after never getting asked for that documentation by Canadian Customs (usually clearing by phone), there were 2 Canadian Customs guys (in full law enforcement gear) at Lethbridge last summer to check my paperwork, including medical. Very polite and friendly, about 5 minutes, but I'm glad I had all the info.

There has been some discussion on this thread regarding traveling with guns through Canada. I am making my first trip in June traveling from Texas to Alaska through Canada. I’d like to bring my 12 gauge. Can anyone tell me exactly what I have to do to legally get through Canada?

There has been some discussion on this thread regarding traveling with guns through Canada. I am making my first trip in June traveling from Texas to Alaska through Canada. I’d like to bring my 12 gauge. Can anyone tell me exactly what I have to do to legally get through Canada?

The barrel has to be longer than the minimum length, it has to be declared on arrival (DO NOT FORGET TO TELL THEM) and I think you have to pay a $25 cdn fee and fill out a form. It has to be locked in a case (or have a cable lock?) and be unloaded when being transported, and "out of direct sight while in your vehicle, such as in a trunk". You have to be at least 18 and you can't leave any behind while you're there (sell it, give it away, lose it). They may ask for a reason why you are carrying it; "wildlife protection and survival and signal flare tool in remote areas" is why I used to bring mine, that seemed to be a good answer, unless you're going to Vancouver. Check with CBSA on their website. https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/iefw-iefa-eng.html The link doesn't give all the specifics, but you can drill down and find out what you need. I have a Mariner 12 gauge pump, which is fairly short, but meets the barrel length requirements, just barely. Most unmodified modern shotguns are probably fine; they primarily seem to be concerned with shortened weapons. Last time I went, I just left it at home. I have a flare pistol that shoots 12 bore flares. I told them about that also because it seems that there are some flare pistols that are modified handguns which can be modified back to being handguns, which got those listed on the prohibited list. Forgetting that you had a .500 S&W in the map pocket will likely get you some serious scowls also. Handguns, as you probably know, are definitely going to cause you some grief if you try to bring them into Canada.

I've always had a harder time returning to the States than the other way around, the few times I've had any trouble that is.

Prior to your trip - visit your local US DHS Customs office (big airport or big city) and have them i.d. your firearm with serial number. They will issue you a form that has its info and this form makes the return into the US much, much easier.
As far as Canada, I go through there frequently with a police model 870, 18.5" barrel. The information on obtaining forms ahead of time is clearly spelled out on CBP's website.

Seems like this thread ran its course last spring but thought I’d add a couple comments.

First, the radio station license is not required for US registered aircraft in Canada and vice versa. It’s confusing, because you’ll find telecommunications rules that certainly seem to indicate it does, but there are treaties in place that negate the need. If a Canadian aircraft enters Mexico, however, it’s required.

It is probably not required by Canada, but it is by the US FCC for both the PIC and the aircraft.

From the FCC website: "
Aircraft operating domestically that do not land in a foreign country or communicate via radio with foreign ground stations: Flying in international or foreign airspace is permitted, so long as the previous conditions are met. If you travel to (and land at) a foreign destination, however, (e.g., Canada, Mexico, Bahamas, British Virgin Islands) a license is required."

It seems pretty clear to me, and doesn't offer exceptions other than not landing or not communicating with ground stations. Nothing in there about treaties.

Back