Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: More Great Kodiak Island History!

Post Thanks / Like
    These posts about camp animals bring back a lot of memories. One season above the Smallwood in Labrador we had a young weasel living under the Tilt. He’d come out in the evening to seemingly listen to guitar music. We named him Gjerkin... Gjerkin the weasel. The lady sports never quite figured that out, thank goodness.
    J

Quote Originally Posted by mvivion View Post
    We had a weasel move into the refuge cabin on Camp Island one winter. He was a noisy companion at night, knocking stuff off the counters, etc. Tame, but not that tame...... The next spring, I was dipping water out of the lake from the rock jetty when he ran past me and slipped into the water. I watched as he foraged around on the rocks underwater, hanging onto those rocks. Couldn’t figure out what he was doing. He climbed out of the water with a sculpin in his mouth, curled up on the rocks and ate his catch. We watched him do that dozens of times that summer. Called him Aqua Weasel. Whatever possessed him to try that the first time? But a great foraging strategy.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    Feuer, R.C. 1958. Mammals collected in theKarluk Lake Region, Kodiak Island, Alaska.Murrelet 39:37-39 notes them eating fish taken from a river. Others must be hardwired for that behavior by now.

A species review from Alaska: https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/s...nhp/Ermine.pdf

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    "Alone in the Wilderness" film, Dick Prenneke had a weasel or similar hanging around.
    More to steal grub than listen to music, however.
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod180 View Post
    "Alone in the Wilderness" film, Dick Prenneke had a weasel or similar hanging around.
    More to steal grub than listen to music, however.
    I have been doing a clean out and found a couple of letters from Dick Prenneke. I had a nice visit with him at his cabin on Twin Lakes years ago.
    N1PA
    Likes cubdriver2 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    This has been a great thread to read. I looked at all the Widgeon and Goose photos and was brought back to another time. Kodiak has always been one of my favorite spots in Alaska. I have hunted there for over 25 years, but have only flown there once. But it was to Camp Island and Karluk Lake to haul fuel.
    My superior skills continue to get me out of where my piss poor judgement took me......
    Likes mam90 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    C-185, it's always a good thing to reminisce of the good old days, but there are many, many waiting ahead for all of us. You have only to make it happen. Before we are all to old......Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C-185 View Post
    This has been a great thread to read. I looked at all the Widgeon and Goose photos and was brought back to another time. Kodiak has always been one of my favorite spots in Alaska. I have hunted there for over 25 years, but have only flown there once. But it was to Camp Island and Karluk Lake to haul fuel.
    Kodiak is a wonderful place. Weather's not always ideal, but that just keeps the riff raff out.

Fuel Hauls to Camp Island used to be one of my least favorite tasks every year.....we chartered a Goose until we got a Beaver assigned to us,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Goose fuel haul.JPG 
Views:	111 
Size:	234.8 KB 
ID:	35825

then it was all mine.....three barrels of avgas or Jet A at a time, or several 100 pound propane cylinders.... Our boat hauled the stuff to Larsen Bay, then I hopped back and forth to Camp Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0056.JPG 
Views:	118 
Size:	353.6 KB 
ID:	35824

Island.....about ten minute legs. When we had bear research going on, we'd haul 70 barrels of 100LL and Jet A and ten 100 pound cylinders of Propane. Lotta fun. But, this permitted us to work out of Camp Island, where the weather was generally better than it was in the town of Kodiak, and closer to where we worked most.

Also, FYI, there were only six native land mammals on Kodiak Island: Brown Bear, Short Tailed Weasel (Ermine), Red Fox, River Otter, Little Brown Bat (I know, a stretch to call them "land mammals", but....), and a species of Vole. Everything else that's there was introduced, and some of the introductions were successful, some not so much.

Here are a couple photos of the Mountain Goat introduction:

Name:	Mountain Goat Transplant.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	135.9 KB 
ID:	35826

Name:	Mountain Goat Waiting Transplant to Kodiak.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	239.6 KB 
ID:	35827

This was in the early 50s, and took place over the course of two seasons. FWS hired a trapper who lived up in the Kenai Mountains to capture Mountain Goats. When he had several rounded up, he'd raise a flag at his cabin, to signal a FWS pilot that there were goats to go. FWS would fly up to his cabin in an L-1 on wheels, load the goats, one at a time, and fly them to Kenai or Soldotna, where the goats would be transferred to a FWS Goose. Once all the goats were aboard the Goose, they'd launch for Kodiak. The Goose would land in Hidden Basin, and unload the Goats.

Tom Wardleigh told me once he was flying a load of goats to Kodiak when something bumped his right elbow. He looked back, and one of the goats had slipped out of his ropes, and was standing just aft of the bulkhead, with his head through the tunnel, apparently enjoying the view out the windshield. Tom said he was totally calm through the rest of the flight, and when they went back to open the cargo door, he hopped right out and departed the scene.

Note the big "barrel door" on the right side of that goose. Standard mod for FWS Goose.

Lots of great history on Kodiak.

Mike
    Thanks cubdriver2, brown bear, mam90, super stol thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    "Goats to go..." I love it!

Last time I read or heard that was in northern Pakistan many years back. Those were to eat, however...

This was in the early 50s, and took place over the course of two seasons. FWS hired a trapper who lived up in the Kenai Mountains to capture Mountain Goats. When he had several rounded up, he'd raise a flag at his cabin, to signal a FWS pilot that there were goats to go.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Goats were similarly introduced in Washington's Olympics back in the 1920's(?).
    Lots of controversy in the past 25 years or so about whether to get rid of them, and how:
    poison, net capture from helos, shoot, shoot from helos, etc.
    It usually dies down after a while, then a few years later another flare-up.
    A hiker got too close to one a couple years ago at Hurricane Ridge (the heavily visited "Crown Jewel" of Olympic Nat'l Park),
    or vice versa, and got fatally horned. That started the whole thing back up again.
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

Post Thanks / Like
    I hauled a load of dynamite from Kodiak to Ouzinki in a Goose with a pilot named Dwight in about 1981/82.
    Big waves, rain, wind, flames coming out of the round engines while turning around on the beach. Exciting ride.
    Last edited by Carey Gray; 03-22-2018 at 08:42 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    John Ball, on the wing of a FWS Widgeon alongside a FWS Goose at the outlet of Karluk Lake, sometime in the early 60s???

Name:	John Ball, Widgeon and Goose on Karluk Lake.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	171.5 KB 
ID:	35847

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    Likely mid-50's. The Goose S/N 1147 NC709's history is here: http://www.wdaguy.com/goose.html Page down and hit history. Later had four engines at one time.

The Widgeon S/N 1319 was N728 is now N1595V in Idaho.

Gary
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by BC12D-4-85; 03-21-2018 at 08:10 PM.
    Likes skywagon8a liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	IMG_4483.jpg 
Size:	115.1 KB 
ID:	35859

Here is Harvey's taking out some bear hunters from Deadman last November.
    "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." Wyatt Earp

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner2 View Post

Name:	IMG_4483.jpg 
Size:	115.1 KB 
ID:	35859

Here is Harvey's taking out some bear hunters from Deadman last November.
    Steve may be the only person still operating a Grumman Goose or Widgeon in a charter operation in the country. He started operating that Widgeon in the mid to late 70’s, and has run it pretty steady since, in Kodiak.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve may be the only person still operating a Grumman Goose or Widgeon in a charter operation in the country. He started operating that Widgeon in the mid to late 70’s, and has run it pretty steady since, in Kodiak.

MTV
    Freshwater Adventures out of Dillingham (http://www.freshwateradventure.com) operates two Gooses. Up until a fatal wreck a few years ago they also had a Widgeon.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 55-PA18A View Post
    Freshwater Adventures out of Dillingham (http://www.freshwateradventure.com) operates two Gooses. Up until a fatal wreck a few years ago they also had a Widgeon.

Jim
    Good for them. Now that nearly every village in Alaska has a large runway, it’s gotten harder to make these old airplanes continue to pay their way. Hard to justify a Goose if a Cherokee six or Navajo will do the job.

MTV