• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Exhaust Advice

gli77

SPONSOR
Nearing completion of a PA-18-150 rebuild and looking at exhaust upgrades. I am leaning towards the Sutton exhaust but thought I'd ask for advice. I like the lighter weight if the Sutton and they report better heat in the cabin. Any comments or suggestions?

Sutton is great. Cleans up the firewall, lower engine temps, heater works great, gets rid of the ad too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Found my exhaust studs too short to get a full nut with a flat and lock washer due to the flange thickness. Had -13 studs installed and problem solved. Other than that just as RBW said.

Just installed the Sutton exhaust. Lost 2 lbs, didn't gain any performance but like it for same reason Tom posted above. Here are some pictures.
http://www.supercub.org/forum/showthread.php?53698-Sutton-Exhaust-Installation-and-PIREP

I have installed several Hot Rod mufflers, they do get some more rpm but are loud and heavier and you don't get the benifit of not having a crammed firewall.

Really loud inside with the door open in flight. Loud with it closed too

Anyone else found the Sutton exhaust to have noise issues?

I think they are referring to the Hot Rod exhaust, not the Sutton.

I like my Sutton a lot. 800 hours on it since my rebuild. No noise issues.

Jeff

Great exhaust system. I started with the curved adaptor but had discolouring on the fabric so I changed to the straight. Haven't noticed any signs on the tire but some on the gear. Can't have everything I suppose.

Has anyone cut there sutton down or used the angle adapter to keep the exhaust off the tire and gear leg?

Thanks
Tom

Like this?

FD1A5951-26C0-472D-AD56-9692DF07D22D.jpeg

Attachments

• FD1A5951-26C0-472D-AD56-9692DF07D22D.jpeg
    FD1A5951-26C0-472D-AD56-9692DF07D22D.jpeg
    171.8 KB · Views: 523
Has anyone cut there sutton down or used the angle adapter to keep the exhaust off the tire and gear leg?

Thanks
Tom
Ha ha.....A couple years ago you were worried about the fabric falling off. Now you’re worried about exhaust getting on your new paint. Champagne problems! Hurry up and run some brush thru your tailfeathers so you can go back flying instead of primping:p

Ha ha.....A couple years ago you were worried about the fabric falling off. Now you’re worried about exhaust getting on your new paint. Champagne problems! Hurry up and run some brush thru your tailfeathers so you can go back flying instead of primping:p

With the amount of labor i put in this stupid cub id like it to be nice for a while.

Yeah, got any more pics? Keeps the exhaust off the gear leg and step?

I checked the tire with a ir temp gun and didn’t have any excess heat, I do get some discoloration on the gear step but it scrubs off. Be sure to order it with the removeable extension otherwise you’ll need a 3 pound coffee can for a template when you cut the cowling.

I checked the tire with a ir temp gun and didn’t have any excess heat, I do get some discoloration on the gear step but it scrubs off. Be sure to order it with the removeable extension otherwise you’ll need a 3 pound coffee can for a template when you cut the cowling.

fd6bb5c863be8c1a2643dd2ad7ce6c78.jpg

I got it to fit good with the full length tail pipe. Haven’t cut it yet. Had the Sutton before the rebuild. It’s great.

5b158d44b2a6641edf26327b62f6f786.jpg

I think they are referring to the Hot Rod exhaust, not the Sutton.

I like my Sutton a lot. 800 hours on it since my rebuild. No noise issues.

Jeff

We might be needing a new exhaust soon for the plane. Just finishing the installation of new rack and tonneau cover we ordered from 4WheelOnline for kayak mounts on the truck. Heard too how loud the Hot Rod exhaust is.

That is a pretty clean belly. Maybe you need this exhaust tip.....
10D6D3CF-498E-4B7D-AA61-BD06B4C12B4B.png

Attachments

• 10D6D3CF-498E-4B7D-AA61-BD06B4C12B4B.png
    10D6D3CF-498E-4B7D-AA61-BD06B4C12B4B.png
    710.6 KB · Views: 300
Whatever you do, get that letter for an AMOC. Fifty-hour disassembly is expensive and can cause damage. I just pulled a 900 hour muffler with a cracked outlet. We got the Atlee Dodge muffler replacement. CC took the Sutton off when they installed the 180 hp. Nobody ever told me why - maybe it didn't fit the bigger engine?

I really enjoy my Sutton Exhaust...one benefit I like is it also kicks the exhaust out far from the cabin, which means no CO...yes Yellow exhaust stain on gear...but easily cleaned with simple green. As for noise I feel it is not too loud.

Last edited:
I think you mean no CO. CO2 is what you exhale.

I really enjoy my Sutton Exhaust...one benefit I like is it also kicks the exhaust out far from the cabin, which means no CO2 ...yes Yellow exhaust stain on gear...but easily cleaned with simple green. As for noise I feel it is not too loud.

Does anyone know why Sutton puts on such a long tailpipe?
Is it supposed to be a "tuned" length?
I've seen several installed with the tailpipe cut to a more convenient length.

They told me it was to get exhaust gasses well away from the cabin, and that it could be shortened if desired. I don't recall how much I was told it could be shortened, and I've left mine full length.

According to Sutton, It can be shortened three inches or shortened to a minimum of three inches. I forget which.

Last edited:
Tom, You need to get JB some mothers and put her to work on that air cleaner dome in all her spare time.

Both my stock and Hot Rod mufflers made lots of heat No problems even at -30. I do have a heat robber on front also. The Hot rod is loud as mentioned and fire wall space is tight. I do thing the Hot rod helped with lowering CHT's a bit, and a bit more power on climb out. I would be happier if is was not as loud.
DENNY

Does any one have any knowledge as to how to increase carborator heat with the Sutton exhaust?

Perhaps a scoop to increase air flow or a restriction to prevent air from moving too fast and not heating adequatly? I’ve heard that springs around the pipe under the carb heat tap will increase heated area.

Does any one have any knowledge as to how to increase carborator heat with the Sutton exhaust?

Perhaps a scoop to increase air flow or a restriction to prevent air from moving too fast and not heating adequatly? I’ve heard that springs around the pipe under the carb heat tap will increase heated area.

At what OAT temp do you not get enough carb heat?

Back