• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Certified Flight Instructors Opinons Wanted

This reminds me of the " control zone" issue a few years ago. Had a some pretty irate at a few of us.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Ha Thanks Bubb, I overlooked the fact that you are in Eagle River. Of course your FAA knows what skis are used for. Though the ones who wrote the rule I'm not so sure.

That "most challenging" part could become troubling. I practice in 20 knot winds, but would never take a student with me. A Luscombe or Pitts might be a bigger challenge than a J-3. I really don't think a five hour tailwheel student who learned in a Champ should jump in to a 185.

Great Question. My understanding this is the current position of the entire office. It is not an official legal interpretation.
The responses from everyone above pretty much validates the belief my buddie and myself have held for more than a few decades of being CFI’s. I suspected it was somewhat unanimous in the CFI community. I wanted to ensure we were not alone in our understanding of this basic rule as how it pertains to skis. These beliefs were:
1. A wheel landing is a type of landing regardless of what is attacked to your axles.
2. “Tailwheel airplane” is synonymous with conventional gear airplane.
3. A CFI should use caution when issuing any log book endorsement when not administering the instruction in the most challenging example of equipment and conditions that endorsement allows.
This new (a least to us) position left my buddy so unsettled he is currently requesting an official legal interpretation from FAA legal in D.C.

Is this an Anchorage FSDO guy giving you grief? Is he new?

Sounds like, (excuse me gents for this) another officer form the military that thinks a C-130 is a small plane. I would be willing to go to the mat on that interpretation being wrong... wheels and skis is the same endorsement.

Another question to ask the faa- a private checkride in a plane on strait skis- can the person then fly the plane on wheels? If he says yes, you got him. If he says no, ask him what endorsement is required, and where to find it in the FARS.

Yep, the rating is single engine LAND... (don’t even try to argue the snow keeps you off the land....)

Actually, I am glad I read it on the internet, because we now know it is fact!:roll:

What training maneuver can not be done on a ski plane that is done on wheels?

I really want Bubb to get the FAA decision in writing, that would be interesting to read.

At one time tail skids, or what are effectively narrow non-steerable skis, were commonly used during takeoff and landing. Inquire about that early conformation and ops. Tail wheels are merely another TCDS noted option for some older conventional aircraft.

Gary

Back