Thread: Fade resistance of Stewarts paint?

Post Thanks / Like

Fade resistance of Stewarts paint?

Hello, everyone.

I was wondering if there's been any cases of Stewarts paints fading. I'm considering dark blue or dark red for part of my paint scheme, and I'm concerned about what this will look like in 5,10,20 or 30 years. I don't plan to deliberately leave my plane uncovered and in the sun all the time, but being a floatplane, they tend to bet exposed more, no matter how careful the owners are.

Does anyone have any stories of Stewarts paint fading / bleaching in the sun? Was there ever any formal tests done on this? Any information would be useful..

Post Thanks / Like
    you are assuming you are not going to wreck it sooner???
    Likes DENNY, algonquin liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I've never heard anyone having a problem with fade, and I've been involved with it since 1996. As far as if there's ever been testing, I'd ask Andy at Stewart Systems about it.
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a video on stewart systems on you tube where they address this. Part of the certification testing was high exposure to UVA and UVB that was the equivalent to 5 years of Arizona sun. They reported zero loss of gloss after the test. you can see the video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cJPHoXlQEQ and it is discussed at about the 2:20 mark on the video.
    Thanks tripper thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The Airtec red on my Dad's Clipper is faded and it is hanger only spending a week or two outside each year at Sun & Fun and Oshkosh. The wings were covered and painted in the late 90s.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    The Airtec red on my Dad's Clipper is faded and it is hanger only spending a week or two outside each year at Sun & Fun and Oshkosh. The wings were covered and painted in the late 90s.
    Try cleaning with stitts alkaline cleaner. It oxide on. The red

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    Thanks Steve Pierce, S. Chapla, cubpilot2 thanked for this post
    Likes Steve Pierce liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    A friend had serious problems with Airtec Cub Yellow. A prize-winning airplane, until the bays turned a moldy black.

Stewarts is a good idea - but seems expensive and difficult for amateurs to get a glossy finish. I have seen water-borne finish rival the best Aerothane, and that includes samples of Stewarts.

I think the shelf life of finish coats is limited - don't buy until ready to spray?
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I really like the Stewart System products and find that there top coat is forgiving when applying but not at all when mixing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bob turner View Post
    A friend had serious problems with Airtec Cub Yellow. A prize-winning airplane, until the bays turned a moldy black.

Stewarts is a good idea - but seems expensive and difficult for amateurs to get a glossy finish. I have seen water-borne finish rival the best Aerothane, and that includes samples of Stewarts.

I think the shelf life of finish coats is limited - don't buy until ready to spray?
    I can confirm what you wrote about the shelf life: Stewart's wants you to use any glues or paints within 1 year of opening. Ideally: 1 year of purchase.

Thank you for the accounts of Stewarts fading/ not fading. Please keep them coming.

never knew how much fun flying could be until I flew my 1st PA-12