• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

2018 EAA Sweepstakes plane 1941 J-3

Don's Dream Machines

Helena, Al. aslo KEKY
I figured I would share these in here first. We built the A-65 for this plane and are back in business, partnered with C&D aviation out of Helena, Alabama. I will try to get some more photos and videos as we finish all the little details. Hope everyone likes her.
Period correct full restoration.
A few upgrades per AD's and to make sure she is still around after another 77 years. Metal, spars, sealed lift struts, Grove disc brakes to name a few.

20180216_092337[1].jpgView attachment 35448

Attachments

• 20180216_092337[1].jpg
    20180216_092337[1].jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:
Just saw that win-a-Cub in the latest Sport Aviation, looks great!
But one of your stroked 85's would make it just that much better IMHO.

Thanks for the replies. To be clear Don Swords has sold the business to Don Wade. To make things even murkier my first name also happens to be Don. :???:
Fortunately enough I go by Lee.

Mr. Swords will remain with the company as a consultant, to insure a smooth transition, and as valuable resource. We have been working out of his shop in Georgia for the past 8 months or so, but are slowly completing the move of an impressive collection of parts to our location in Helena, Al. We still maintain the C-85 stroker STC and the -8 conversion STC, and have been building them regularly.

On to the project. The next article on the plane including first flight shots will be the cover story of the April issue of Sport Aviation. We are planning on taking the plane to Sun-n-Fun, and Sentimental Journey, before it will be on display at Oshkosh until Airventure. If anybody is around for those events please stop by and say hi.
The driving force behind the project was to be produce a pre-war J-3 that would look almost exactly as it did when it rolled out of the doors in Lockhaven. The few changes that were made are all in the mindset of safety, reliability, and fly-ability. This plane would have originally had a Lycoming 65 engine, and we do have one that we plan to display with the plane, but the parts to overhaul that motor, not to mention its underwhelming performance made it unrealistic. The history of this plane is well documented, it spent 50 or so of the 78 years of its life flying with multiple generations of the same family and served as a trainer during WWII, when the A-65 was fitted to it. Preserving that history became important.

All that being said, yes a C-85 stroker motor under the cowling would definitely take it to another level.

So your user name is Don's Dream Machines which was bought buy Don Wade and your name is also Don but you go by Lee. I am so confused. :lol: Are you partners with Don Wade? Look forward to seeing the J3, was very impressed with the PA11 at Oshkosh.

Not a partner, at least not yet. More of the day to day operations guy. I just happen to be better at the internets. :crazyeyes:

Looking forward to seeing the Cub here in Oshkosh. Maybe, if I play my cards right, I'll get to fly it up here!! :)

Glad to have you on this site. I have seen a lot of your work and it is top notch, I was also happy to hear you guys will be keeping Dons Dream Machines alive. Looking forward to seeing you and the Cub at Sentimental Journey. See ya soon, Scott

Back