• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Carb Airbox Repair....

ezflyr

Hi All,

I'm slowly picking away at some issues discovered with my newly acquired J-3 Cub. I decided to pull the carb. and send it to Uni-Tech for rebuild as it seemed to be leaking fuel on the hangar floor not related to the primer. Anyway, after removing the airbox, I found that the shaft is very sloppy due to wear. I see that Wag Aero has a rebuild kit that adds riveted end plates holding bearing and a new shaft. What I don't get is that the butterfly in my existing box is brazed to the shaft and cannot be (easily) removed. How are you supposed to attach a butterfly to the shaft included in the rebuild kit? Any other ideas for fixing my current airbox?

Thanks!

John M.

Not familiar with a J-3 air box and how it might be different from an 18's air box, but isn't the butterfly just a piece of metal? Make a new one. Or, send to Atlee Dodge in Anchorage. They used to rebuild air boxes. Maybe they still do.

Jim

[h=1]Give Randy a call, outstanding work on Carb Air boxes

RANDY RUBBERT AIRCRAFT MAINTENANCE AND REPAIRReynolds, North Dakota[/h][FONT=&quot](701) 847-3008
1850 2nd Ave NeReynolds, ND 58275-9477

[/FONT]

A buddy of mine sent his C180 airbox to FA Dodge years ago,
came back looking *better than new*.
But $$$$$$$$$.

Air box and tailwheel...

What does Bill Duncan say about tailwheels: they get ignored until they are gone.

The importance of it, and the limited care they get for an often flimsy pice of metal, not hard to have them come back 'better than new'.

Give Lycon in Visalia Ca a call and see if they have what you need. When they showed me around last year, they had a pallet box full of air boxes they received when they bought out Greek AF inventory. They told be they would sell the air boxes if some one needed the parts and to give them a call.
Marty

I think Wag or Spruce or Univair sells complete airbox assemblies.
Dunno if PMA'd or not.
I kinda recall they were similar if not identical to my old C170 airbox.

If the box for the C-180 was for a 53 or 54 they are very special and have a SS plate. I understand only one company makes the part and a new airbox is around $10,000.00 or so I've been told. This is second hand infro. So take it for what it is.

There are very specific requirements about the rivets and placement in air boxes. If it falls apart, the engine can easily quit. Use a good, reputable rebuilder.

6bdab9f413212a49dd937946f57bfa36.jpg

Broke right where the reinforcing plate stoped. Got an almost new one the next day from the Hampton fly mart. Perfect timing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi All,

I'm slowly picking away at some issues discovered with my newly acquired J-3 Cub. I decided to pull the carb. and send it to Uni-Tech for rebuild as it seemed to be leaking fuel on the hangar floor not related to the primer. Anyway, after removing the airbox, I found that the shaft is very sloppy due to wear. I see that Wag Aero has a rebuild kit that adds riveted end plates holding bearing and a new shaft. What I don't get is that the butterfly in my existing box is brazed to the shaft and cannot be (easily) removed. How are you supposed to attach a butterfly to the shaft included in the rebuild kit? Any other ideas for fixing my current airbox?

Thanks!

John M.

John, just did the rebuild with the kit that you referenced. Not a hard job at all ,you will need to grind the brazing from the butterfly that attaches it to the bolt . As well as grind off the ends on the outside of the box that the bolt goes through , you won't need those anymore.

Hoping to revive this. I seem to have lost a bearing on my carb airbox. I know there are repair kits for continentals, curious if I could just buy a kit and jimmy-rig the bearing onto the shaft of mine

IMG_1983.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Attachments

• IMG_1983.JPG
    IMG_1983.JPG
    424 KB · Views: 319
Check with Randy Rubbert.

He or his son Logan did mine and it came back looking like new.

RANDY RUBBERT AIRCRAFT MAINTENANCE AND REPAIR
(701) 847-3008
1850 2nd Ave Ne
Reynolds, ND 58275-9477

As others have said, don't skimp on the airbox. Ingesting a piece of it into the engine might ruin your day.

Jeff

when you order a rebuild kit, it will come with two new bearings. The only part that is a little bit tough, is grinding the brazening loose from the rotating arm And then re-tac’n it backup inside the box itself everything else is very easy.

Check with Randy Rubbert.

He or his son Logan did mine and it came back looking like new.

RANDY RUBBERT AIRCRAFT MAINTENANCE AND REPAIR
(701) 847-3008
1850 2nd Ave Ne
Reynolds, ND 58275-9477

As others have said, don't skimp on the airbox. Ingesting a piece of it into the engine might ruin your day.

Jeff

Yes indeed---The Rubberts have YEARS of experience and really do an excellent job.---geezer Dan

Soooo, I ended up sticking a rubber grommet in there. It fits like an f-ing glove and I’m gonna go ahead and call it a win at $0.15 fix. Figure I’ll have to be proactive and change it out in a couple years. I mean, what’s the worst that could happen?

Soooo, I ended up sticking a rubber grommet in there. It fits like an f-ing glove and I’m gonna go ahead and call it a win at $0.15 fix. Figure I’ll have to be proactive and change it out in a couple years. I mean, what’s the worst that could happen?

The engine could eat that O-Ring....or maybe something more important.

MTV

You can get brass bushings from McMaster Carr Aero that would be better than a rubber grommet that could get sucked into the engine

The air box is subject to all of the vibrations an engine can generate which is why they wear out. You do not want to risk doing anything with something which could work it's way loose. If something as small as a screw or nut gets sucked into the engine, you will be extremely lucky if it just blows through and out the exhaust. It could get stuck under a valve or bounce around between the piston and cylinder head. If it jams an intake valve open, the engine could stop RIGHT NOW ! Just one intake valve being open can stop an engine. Been there, done that, in a Comanche.

Your rubber grommet could get stuck under a valve.

The Continental box repair kit fits the Lycoming. I would be concerned about sucking that grommet into the engine. Should be able to braze a bushing in there.

The Continental box repair kit fits the Lycoming. I would be concerned about sucking that grommet into the engine. Should be able to braze a bushing in there.

Ordered the o-300 repair solution. Here’s what The grommet looks like. It is a perfect fit, but the point is well taken.

IMG_2764.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_2764.JPG
    IMG_2764.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 266
My '55 C180 airbox has sh*t the bed. Are the Rubberts still rebuilding boxes? Any reason not to send it off to the airbox doc guy down in Arizona? I've not called Atlee Dodge, but will the result be substantially better?

It lasted almost 70 years. I'd like to do the repair right - but I'd also like to get back in the air before New Holstein..

4e57db86ea700127aaffa18a.jpg50b287b6dcccb9801940ccb6.jpg1217f5677f2048684ec6f13c.jpg

Attachments

• 4e57db86ea700127aaffa18a.jpg
    4e57db86ea700127aaffa18a.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 115
  • 50b287b6dcccb9801940ccb6.jpg
    50b287b6dcccb9801940ccb6.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 112
  • 1217f5677f2048684ec6f13c.jpg
    1217f5677f2048684ec6f13c.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
I don't know yet - it looks like it's been giving up for quite some time. Those rivet holes are quite large and oval.

A piece of ingested metal can reportedly travel to more than one cylinder via the headers. Internal pressure waves can cause that. If suspected I'd borescope them all for any potential scoring or valve/seat damage.

Gary

Back