• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Wipaire Laser Gear Advisory System

Maybe Wire will chime in, but in my experience the less wire/electronics the better.

Chiming.

My philosophy is 'simple is good' or 'less is more'. Whether it's a system of thought, electrical system or mechanical. If it was purely my call, I'd like the old school system of a rod, with a bright painted end, sticking up from the top of the float. Wheels up = rod sticking up.

No system is fool proof and it ALWAYS comes down to the pilot/crew working their way through the CORRECT landing procedures and verifying all controls and components in the correct configuration. Mirrors are good but I've rarely seen them show all wheels clearly. Airspeed systems squawk every time and people get in a routine of hitting the silence button each time they 'hear' it. Even the mechanical systems only tell you that the one gear is extended/retracted, or they can become disconnected. This laser system sounds like a decent system just as long as it works for you.

So, I can't recommend one system over another. As a pilot, the system that you chose has to work for YOU. Find the system you like and work with it. If it takes extreme measures to keep you upright and breathing, then do it. Maybe fly with an angry ex wife in the back seat that always tells you that she was warned not to date you because sooner or later you'd land this thing wheels down in the water . . . .

Web

In reading all this and thinking how sophisticated technology is getting, wouldn't it be neat if there was a camera looking a 1/4 to 1/2 mile ahead that could sense where the touchdown will be and have the gear in the correct position. Then, if the pilot remembered, he could visually check to make sure. I've flown a 185 on amphibs twice(with an instructor) and both times the gear was my main thought but as forgetful as I am, I'd probably forget at some point.

In reading all this and thinking how sophisticated technology is getting, wouldn't it be neat if there was a camera looking a 1/4 to 1/2 mile ahead that could sense where the touchdown will be and have the gear in the correct position. Then, if the pilot remembered, he could visually check to make sure. I've flown a 185 on amphibs twice(with an instructor) and both times the gear was my main thought but as forgetful as I am, I'd probably forget at some point.

I think you posted in the wrong thread. The next-gen-ride-along-drone thread starts over there - http://www.supercub.org/forum/showt...tch-this-scary&p=710529&viewfull=1#post710529

:lol:

Maybe fly with an angry ex wife in the back seat that always tells you that she was warned not to date you because sooner or later you'd land this thing wheels down in the water . . . .

Web

This may be an effective option, but I suspect it's much more expensive. :pop::pop:

This may be an effective option, but I suspect it's much more expensive. :pop::pop:

Possible this post should be in the handgun thread: Maybe fly with an angry ex wife in the back seat that always tells you that she was warned not to date you because sooner or later you'd land this thing wheels down in the water . . . .

I agree with What ever works. But I have to say, I have flown with people that are so engrossed with the gadgets, (ipad, multiple gps, engine analizer, fuel flow meters...) that they totally forget to fly the plane. Sometimes you can not even see out for all the crap hanging around.

Back to gear gadgets- The pilot has to think about landing surface, and gear position. I don't care if you tie a string on your nose to remind you, but that check needs to get done- GAS AND GEAR, and gas is a little less important. Pilots with gadget fetish syndrome will rely on that gadget and some day when it tells you gear is wrong because it sees land beneath they will be obligated to listen to the gadget.

Every system has a way for you to forget, ignore or read incorrectly. For me the answer was to fly a pattern EVERY TIME. Yup, I was that guy that would do the 45 entry to downwind just to give time to do the check. The do the gump check on downwind, base and final- all three. After a couple hundred hours in that plane I relaxed and felt comfortable doing the checks on a long final.

Caught myself a couple times distracted and got the gear on final, always coming back from water to runway- but it was down before we got very low. We had gear warning on that plane, and my goal was to have everything set up before it barked at me on downwind.

Now, add a system that reads the surface type under me would be mighty confusing, as often it would be silent, then 'GEAR FOR WATER' as I crossed the point prior to touchdown. At some point the routine would be to press 'cancel' without looking. Then the fun would begin.

As nice as it sounds, as that guy that did rounds on amphibs back and forth 15 minute runs, still believe good procedures is the answer. The rest of the stuff is easily over ridden or ignored when busy or tired, but doing the procedures of saying what surface, and what gear position, looking and counting lights, then counting gear position on mirrors.

If you don't have time for that procedure, you might ought to go back to strait floats.

My opinion, from a novice, that appreciates the experience of all you high time guys.

I remember one day trying to find the best way through a line of thunderstorms at high altitude. The pilot I was flying with was working the heck out of the radar, tilting up and down, changing ranges, really working it. When he finally came up with a series of options to discuss on getting through the line I suggested he look out the window, which he had not yet done.... the best route was easily identifiable by the blue sky between the cells.. use all the tools including brain and eyeballs..

Some years ago I was giving instruction in a Piper Arrow , on final the gear horn was blaring. I asked him what that noise was , he said the gear horn and kept driving down final. So it's easy to lock your mind out.

Back