• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Fuel Step Handles

cplne

Anybody installed STC handles on the boot cowl to assist pulling yourself up on the fuel step, it’s quite a leap on the ABW 31s. My IA laughed when I said just install them like the ones on the 185. I installed the long Long and short steps from Dodge but still need something to grab on to

I use my ski/float lift points as grab points. I Put nonskid on the front gear leg and I can start with that then step up to top of bushwheel. Just a few weeks ago I was talking to a guy about tire size, money was not a issue. He said he was going to 31's due to short legs and age. Lots of ways to skin the cat.
DENNY

You can also get small but sturdy folding steps, ladders to cart around if your not loaded up with camping gear.

A late forties guy near my place fell off his C180 wing checking the outer fuel tank cap. Landed on the cement hangar floor. I'm told he's had four hip operations to date.

In comparison the folding step idea sounds stellar.

Looks like the small step ladder may be the only solution. With the 31 s my wife can’t step up that high even with the Dodge steps. Those handles on the 185 are so handy.

And if you fall off and put your arse into the boot cowl there is always the toilet plunger followed by the giant sticker fix...

IMG_4287.JPG

I bought one of these:
https://herooutdoorproducts.com/t-post-stepper/

Cut it in half and did a little machining on the halves then drilled a hole for a AN6 bolt. Replaced the lower shock strut bolt with a longer version and now have a nice cast aluminum step on both sides.

Makes it a lot easier to climb up to do this:

IMG_2148.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4287.JPG
    IMG_4287.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 563
  • IMG_2148.jpg
    IMG_2148.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 468
I thought about using a piece of thick walled aluminum tube sized to fit in the axle, with a slot cut to go around the cotter pin. Slide it in when you need it, slide out when you're done. It would only work if you don't use hubcaps.

Watch your shins.

Anybody installed STC handles on the boot cowl to assist pulling yourself up on the fuel step, it’s quite a leap on the ABW 31s. My IA laughed when I said just install them like the ones on the 185. I installed the long Long and short steps from Dodge but still need something to grab on to

The only issue I see is the bootcowl is not strong enough to support the handle and your weight.

How about tying lines to the lifting eyes and just climb your way up onto those 35's?
Leave them in place to just trail along in flight, like the mooring lines on a floatplane.
;-)

View attachment 35418

I bought one of these:
https://herooutdoorproducts.com/t-post-stepper/

Cut it in half and did a little machining on the halves then drilled a hole for a AN6 bolt. Replaced the lower shock strut bolt with a longer version and now have a nice cast aluminum step on both sides.

Makes it a lot easier to climb up to do this:

View attachment 35419

After spending $20 on Amazon Prime to get the step and about 10 minutes on a band saw and belt sander whacking in half and making them pretty, I now have a copy of Dan's excellent big tire step idea. Stepping up onto 31s is my limit. 35s? No way. What a clever solution. Thanks again!

Attachments

• 98FB661B-BED6-42E1-AB3D-CE5C6E263B98.jpg
    98FB661B-BED6-42E1-AB3D-CE5C6E263B98.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 186
I bought one too. Tried it on a tee-post today. My eyes got a little big halfway over the barbwire - something like ok, device, DON't SLIP OFF THE POST NOW!!! But it worked fine!

I'd be nervous, too, after seeing the quality of the casting when I cut mine in two. 8)

Dan, do your steps rotate? Did you do anything to prevent rotation?

I'd be nervous, too, after seeing the quality of the casting when I cut mine in two. 8)

Dan, do your steps rotate? Did you do anything to prevent rotation?

IMG_4988.jpg

They had a tendency to pivot. I had them powder coated black and when I took my skis off I pulled the steps off and milled a .75" radius into the contact area. I originally had them mounted on top of my safety cable tab and I moved the tab to the back side.

The casting quality seemed fine to me. No voids and they machined cleanly.

Attachments

• IMG_4988.jpg
    IMG_4988.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 240
Dan, I really appreciate your post. I have a customer with a new FX2 Carbon Cub and he has issues getting on the 26" Bushwheel. He is an older gentleman and after seeing your post and showing it to him I copied it along with modifying a pair of long steps for a kind of intermediate step. I painted them black and then applied wing walk compound. Since the gear is flat and uses the Acme shock strut with a bearing at the axle swivel i installed a star washer between the step and the axle and it does not rotate. Some more pictures here. https://photos.app.goo.gl/p76reTBTidwThtgZA Thanks again for a great simple solution.
IMG_20181201_163547.jpg
IMG_20181201_163508.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20181201_163547.jpg
    IMG_20181201_163547.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 632
  • IMG_20181201_163508.jpg
    IMG_20181201_163508.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 715
Last edited:
Back