Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IA question about deleting annual information

Post Thanks / Like
    Trust your mechanic, but keep your logs. What if he/she is in an automobile accident or worse, and somebody else sells his/her shop? Honest mechanics have a way of losing stuff. I am still looking for a pristine set of A-75 cylinders that I last saw in the 1990s.
    Likes CubDriver218 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aktango58 View Post
    .... If I don' trust the guy with my logs that I expect to do quality work on my plane that will kill me, I just think I shall find another guy to work on the plane.
    In a perfect world, I agree.
    In our imperfect world, my main mechanic is great to work with,
    but paperwork...not so good.
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!
    Thanks C130jake thanked for this post

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    so what was the end to the original story?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mike mcs repair View Post
    so what was the end to the original story?
    Here's where it stands. The Fed's were very in interested in the situation and very concerned that IA and museum owner denied altering the log book. The FAA has been in contact with the owner, the IA, and the museum owner. There have been numerous calls from the FAA to the owner regarding the status of the situation. First contact from the FAA after the owner report was filed was the next day. It seems that the FAA is very concerned with the situation and has been very active in it's investigation. Aircraft owner is off the hook, no issues with the FAA; they were very glad to hear from him. The FAA has had some difficulty in follow up communication with the IA; he was apparently out of town. The IA has been told to contact the owner and re-sign the log book and fix the annual entry; no call from IA to owner as of today. Here's the rub. Since the owner was trying to sell the aircraft and the IA denied making the changes to the log, the owner had to pay for a new annual to finish the sale of the aircraft. Owner will be requesting that IA reimburse him for cost of second annual since signing the log book is no longer an option. As far as the situation between the FAA and the museum owner; that hasn't been shared with the owner other than contact was made. Currently, owner is waiting on call from IA as per instructions from FAA to IA. More to come.
    Marty
    N367PS
    Psalm 36:7 "High and low among men find refuge in the shadow of His wing"
    www.marty2plus2.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck with that. The FAA can violate the IA if he either falsified or damaged records, but they cannot make him either sign or pay you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty57 View Post
    Here's where it stands. The Fed's were very in interested in the situation and very concerned that IA and museum owner denied altering the log book. The FAA has been in contact with the owner, the IA, and the museum owner. There have been numerous calls from the FAA to the owner regarding the status of the situation. First contact from the FAA after the owner report was filed was the next day. It seems that the FAA is very concerned with the situation and has been very active in it's investigation. Aircraft owner is off the hook, no issues with the FAA; they were very glad to hear from him. The FAA has had some difficulty in follow up communication with the IA; he was apparently out of town. The IA has been told to contact the owner and re-sign the log book and fix the annual entry; no call from IA to owner as of today. Here's the rub. Since the owner was trying to sell the aircraft and the IA denied making the changes to the log, the owner had to pay for a new annual to finish the sale of the aircraft. Owner will be requesting that IA reimburse him for cost of second annual since signing the log book is no longer an option. As far as the situation between the FAA and the museum owner; that hasn't been shared with the owner other than contact was made. Currently, owner is waiting on call from IA as per instructions from FAA to IA. More to come.
    Marty
    My understanding is that the IA didn't get paid for the annual and was trading out flying the airplane that he did not get to do and deferred maintenance that the owner agreed to do after the fly-in. In my opinion from what I have learned they all did things that they shouldn't have. With that information and my dealings with your friend and the museum owner they all deserve each other.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bob turner View Post
    Good luck with that. The FAA can violate the IA if he either falsified or damaged records, but they cannot make him either sign or pay you.
    They have to prove that the IA applied the white out. Looks like too many people had access to thelogbooks and I doubt anmyone is going to tell the truth. A civil matter that they got the Feds involved. Just my opinion.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    My understanding is that the IA didn't get paid for the annual and was trading out flying the airplane that he did not get to do and deferred maintenance that the owner agreed to do after the fly-in. In my opinion from what I have learned they all did things that they shouldn't have. With that information and my dealings with your friend and the museum owner they all deserve each other.
    Steve,
    Your opinion's may be a bit harsh here I think. I'm just trying to relate facts, not opinions about who deserves what. Issues are that a log book was altered with out owner's knowledge. After IA did not return calls to owner, FAA was contacted. IA did fly aircraft after annual; deferred maintenance was scheduled and parts acquired. FAA has told the IA he must re-sign the log book; to date IA has not contacted owner. Owner isn't trying to make a big deal about this; aircraft already sold. He is trying to comply with FAA regarding fixing the altered log book. New owner was very concerned about altered log book; that had to be addressed to insure airworthiness of aircraft, requiring new annual to be performed. I know you would not alter a log book without an owner's knowledge and than not be honest with the owner. Please stick to the facts of the issue of altering a log book rather than addressing who deserves what. Thank you.
    Marty
    N367PS
    Psalm 36:7 "High and low among men find refuge in the shadow of His wing"
    www.marty2plus2.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    They have to prove that the IA applied the white out. Looks like too many people had access to thelogbooks and I doubt anmyone is going to tell the truth. A civil matter that they got the Feds involved. Just my opinion.
    "The dead guy did it!".
    Always works for me.
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty57 View Post
    Steve,
    Your opinion's may be a bit harsh here I think. I'm just trying to relate facts, not opinions about who deserves what. Issues are that a log book was altered with out owner's knowledge. After IA did not return calls to owner, FAA was contacted. IA did fly aircraft after annual; deferred maintenance was scheduled and parts acquired. FAA has told the IA he must re-sign the log book; to date IA has not contacted owner. Owner isn't trying to make a big deal about this; aircraft already sold. He is trying to comply with FAA regarding fixing the altered log book. New owner was very concerned about altered log book; that had to be addressed to insure airworthiness of aircraft, requiring new annual to be performed. I know you would not alter a log book without an owner's knowledge and than not be honest with the owner. Please stick to the facts of the issue of altering a log book rather than addressing who deserves what. Thank you.
    Marty
    If you read all my comments I posted what I thought about altering the logbook. I am sorry you found my post harsh but I am a bit bias.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers