Thread: Beringer or Grove 10" Wheels w/ 31" Dessers (or 35" ABW) vs 6" wheels w/ 31 Airstreaks or ABW

Post Thanks / Like

Beringer or Grove 10" Wheels w/ 31" Dessers (or 35" ABW) vs 6" wheels w/ 31 Airstreaks or ABW

First, I appreciate all the feedback that has been given on all my newbie posts. If my questions seem stupid, read my signature.

So now I am working on wheels and tires. I like the look and functionality of the ABW, but there are not inexpensive. I have read, seen, and heard a lot of people using the Desser tires. My "understanding" is they are less expensive, last a lot longer (especially if based off a paved runway), not AS mushy so they may not soak up as much rock as the ABW, and a slightly smaller sidewall so they may not have as much give.

I would estimate that 80% of my landings will be on pavement, but want the ability to land in the other 20% (once my skill catches up with my ambition).

For the money vs reward, what is your input?

Thanks again!

Chad
    Sorry for the dumb questions, I'm an FNG!
    Thanks TJAK thanked for this post
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Where do you live? Stock gear or extended? What is prop length?
    DENNY

Post Thanks / Like
    Denny,

I ask this because I truly don't know, but what do those three questions have to do with which wheel and tire set up is better performing off airport? is there a prop length that would cater to Dessers over ABW? OR vice versa.

I am in Northern California, extended gear.haven't gotten to the prop yet. Prepare for another stupid post asking about props in the near future!

Chad
    Thanks gvgoff99, TJAK thanked for this post
    Likes gvgoff99 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    It does not matter if you land on the airport 99.99% of the time... if you land ONCE in the wrong spot (soft, rough) you are had. Tires is the one place to buy for your extreme.

That said, if you are on soft only, and not rock banging or big holes where you need absolute shock absorbing from tires, I will say you have some options now.

I got the opportunity to feel a set of Dessers in Anchorage last weekend and was impressed that they did have some give, not as much, but more than I thought.

Would I run a set? Yes, if my mission did not demand the extra soft sidewall for ego recovery when I put her down where I should not. Also, I am now based on my own gravel strip now, so less wear on my tires.

I would almost mount both the Desser and the bushwheels on rims so I could flop back and forth...
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!
    Likes SinCityJets liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aktango58 View Post
    It does not matter if you land on the airport 99.99% of the time... if you land ONCE in the wrong spot (soft, rough) you are had. Tires is the one place to buy for your extreme.

That said, if you are on soft only, and not rock banging or big holes where you need absolute shock absorbing from tires, I will say you have some options now.

I got the opportunity to feel a set of Dessers in Anchorage last weekend and was impressed that they did have some give, not as much, but more than I thought.

Would I run a set? Yes, if my mission did not demand the extra soft sidewall for ego recovery when I put her down where I should not. Also, I am now based on my own gravel strip now, so less wear on my tires.

I would almost mount both the Desser and the bushwheels on rims so I could flop back and forth...
    Buy both! I like your style....
    Thanks wacodriver, Bowie thanked for this post
    Likes wacodriver liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    One of my buddy’s here in Nor Cal went from 29s to 26’s and he is happy. I have been struggling with this decision for a while now. I am about 50/50 on pavement vs dirt,grass etc. Still on 850’s currently.
    Thanks TJAK thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    When you look at prop length you will want around seven inches ground clearance in level flight attitude. So gear and tire total hight come into play. With 3 inch extended gear I think you can run a 8.50 tire with a 82 inch Borer and still be good. Desser 31 in tire with 10 in grove wheel/ brake /caliper mount weight is 46 1/2 lbs. Tire alone is 29 lbs. The 31 inch heavy tread bushwheel is 36 lbs. Not sure of weight of 6 in wheel/brake/caliper but should come out less then grove 10 inch. So over all within a few lbs for either set. Unless you are planing on finding some real soft tundra in Calif I would look at the 31 in Desser. Nothing beats a Bushwheel off airport in the soft stuff and for making a bad landing look good. They do not like tar or thorns. 35 inch Bushwheels are even better in the soft stuff but are HEAVY. Not worth it unless you are going extremely rough places. Consider two sets of tires/rims. One for airport work and one for off airport it is only money. Baringer makes nice stuff but how easy is it to get parts??? Using Cleavland/Bushwheel 1 1/2 rims and brakes off a cessna means you can find parts on most any runway!! Grove 10 inch wheel is made in Calif. If you get them grab a few extra wheel 0-rings and brake puck o-rings for the shop/under rear seat. No right or wrong just some things to think about. I would go fly a cub with bushwheels or find a buddy that is waiting on wing rebuild and take his for a spin so they do not developed flat spots. Every landing on bushwheels is like the first time you had sex with a women!! Other ways to get the job done, but none as much fun!!!!!
    DENNY
    Last edited by DENNY; 02-22-2018 at 02:11 AM.
    Thanks SinCityJets thanked for this post
    Likes SinCityJets liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like the smart thing to do is have 2 sets if some extreme Offroad adventures are an option.

One thing i liked about the 10” rim is, it gave me the ability to do both the 29” Dessers OR the 35” ABW’s, however it’s probably much easier to Shane the entire rim, rather than change the tire on the rim.

Chad

Post Thanks / Like
    Aero Classic 31s fit a 10x10 wheel. ABW 35s fit a 10x6-1/2 wheel. They are not interchangeable. Aero Classics 31s are more comparable to 29x11x10 Air Hawks than Bushwheels.
    Likes DENNY, Steve Pierce liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Then how is Beringer advertising their new 10” wheel will fit both? Are they going to offer two different size wheels??

chad

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartb View Post
    Aero Classic 31s fit a 10x10 wheel. ABW 35s fit a 10x6-1/2 wheel. They are not interchangeable. Aero Classics 31s are more comparable to 29x11x10 Air Hawks than Bushwheels.
    The 10x6.50 35" bushwheel wheel doesnt have a valve stem hole either
    Likes DJ liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DENNY View Post
    When you look at prop length you will want around seven inches ground clearance in level flight attitude. .....
    My recollection is that the regs specify 9" minimum.
    That's with the gear deflected, so loaded and on greased plates.
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!
    Likes DENNY liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DENNY View Post
    .... Every landing on bushwheels is like the first time you had sex with a women!! Other ways to get the job done, but none as much fun!!!!!
    Glad you specified "with a woman".....
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, my bad 7 in for nose wheel and 9 for tailwheel.
    DENNY
    Thanks gvgoff99 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The best rim I've ever owned for big tires on a Skywagons is the ABW's 10x10 aluminum billet. The tires don't slip on them so you can run under ten psi and 4 ply 29x11x10's and get a soft ride.
    The other way might be cleveland 6" rims 31" abi and another set with 26 Goodyear for long wear tires.
    Likes DENNY liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you have any grass you can land on at your airport? Some poor guys are just stuck in tower/tar hell.
    DENNY

Post Thanks / Like
    The only reason I ever used one wheel or another was driven by whatever tires I was putting on them. ABW black wheels work great. Cleveland 6" wheels work great. My Grove 6" wheels are indistinguishable from Clevelands to my eyes so should work great. 29x11x10 Air Hawks work okay. 29" Bushwheels work better for me. On a Cub 31" ABWs work nicely. My new beast has 35s. They're all good. It's like Levis to Wranglers to Dockers. Pick what suits you best. Don't worry about what the guy next to you is wearing.
    Likes DENNY, mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone we know installed a set of the new 10" Beringer wheels and brakes. If so did the Master cylinders need replaced to work with Beringer's brake calipers. I ask as I am wondering feedback, as well if one can just swap out with small tire Cleveland wheels brakes to Beringer when big tires are called for.