• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Experimental nose bowl options?

KelvinG

Talkeetna, AK
Well, I've finally started building my Tundra Boss and am trying to determine what nose bowl options exist. I need a bowl with a deep lower half. In the neighborhood of 25" or 27" overall height.

Anyone have some links? I've searched the usual suspects, (aircraft spruce, wag areo, wicks, univair).

Thanks

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

What's a Tundra Boss? Standard Cub firewall and cowl other than the height? What motor's going in it?

Carbon Concepts in Wasilla would be a good resource. Selkirk Aviation is another. Composite parts require a mold. Making a mold requires a plug. You may need to get hands on something close and modify it, then use that as the plug to build a mold for the final product.

What's a Tundra Boss? Standard Cub firewall and cowl other than the height? What motor's going in it?

Carbon Concepts in Wasilla would be a good resource. Selkirk Aviation is another. Composite parts require a mold. Making a mold requires a plug. You may need to get hands on something close and modify it, then use that as the plug to build a mold for the final product.
Hi Stewart,

It's pretty much a scratch built 4 place with lots of mods. I'm using an Continental E-225 with a electrically adjustable prop.

I'm familiar with Carbon Concepts, their stuff looks really nice. I will look into custom built if I can't find something "off the shelf". But I haven't given up on finding something.

Thanks

Sent from my [device_name] using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Width will be another issue. I bought a prototype nose bowl from HO Aircraft for my Cub project. It's wider than standard and that was what I needed. I don't know of any cowls for big Continentals that use a nose bowl. Maybe somebody with advice will chime in on that. Good luck.

Morphing an orphan nose bowl. Cut to shape, beat to fit, paint to match. ;)

IMG_9257.JPGIMG_2983.JPGIMG_6670.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_9257.JPG
    IMG_9257.JPG
    736.2 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_2983.JPG
    IMG_2983.JPG
    787.1 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_6670.JPG
    IMG_6670.JPG
    664.4 KB · Views: 175
Supercub, but with a wider angle valve motor. HO Aircraft sold me the prototype nose bowl that they used to get the Lycoming IO-390 engine STC.

Maybe an HO nose bowl will work for you. Online specs for the 0-470 engine say it's about an inch narrower than my IO-400. If you're looking to make a cub style cowling? The HO nose bowl is definitely taller than stock. http://www.hoaircraft.com/PA-18-IO-390-STC.html

Last edited:
Amazing how much adjustment you can hide with bondo, a sander and paint!

Building a mold should not be that hard, bet Randy has a nose bowl laying around that could easily be adjusted... perfection sometimes takes a few mulligans!

Stinson 108-3 http://www.univair.com/stinson/view-all/108-6021401-52-stinson-nose-cowl-assembly/

P1000636cs.jpg

I’d like to hear and see more about your plane. That’s a big project.
I've been collecting parts for years. Now that I'm retired it keeps me off the streets! I say that tongue-in-cheek because I live remote.

I got REALLY lucky in that an business in the nearest town is allowing me to build it in their hanger. So I'm snowmaching into town 3 days a week to work on it. Here is a video of the plane being moved to their hanger https://youtu.be/chKMS2hKdZU

So far I've done a preliminary weight & balance just to see if my engine/fuselage idea was even feasible. To my surprise it came out within a few pounds of what I had calculated on paper. (I'm still surprised at that!)

Because this is pretty much scratch built I had a lot of "grand ideas". I've figured out which are workable and which need tossed into the trash bin. Now I am working on getting all the bits and pieces to play nice with each other.

I am enjoying the learning curve. Once I get the engine cowling / nose bowl figured out I'm going to start playing around with heat forming kydex. An idea I've shamelessly stole from this forum. [emoji56].

To be honest, after seeing the level of craftsmanship displayed by members I am very reluctant to post my efforts. They would definitely illustrate the difference between professional and amateur. Much to my embarrassment.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I wasn’t going to add but I’ve read this a few times.
As stated, laying up a custom nose bowl is the perfect and ideal way, but a big project and exposure to mistakes is high for a first time. I can make a plug for a small part. To make a plug and mold for a big part takes a craftsman to not be grinding and filling the final part.

Just an opinion, but if I had the dedication to build what you are accomplishing, I would modify an existing bowl as Stewart mentioned.

If you make it in-house rather than solicit a vendor...
To add size in any direction you can pick the flattest/straightest few inches and cut it in half. Move the sections out to the appropriate size, and then fill in the space to connect to the halves back together.

(The artists in this realm are the rod guys. The (now) simple example for them is to chop a top. You cut the door pillars and move the roof down, but the pillars have to line up. So you dice the roof into 2 or 4 sections and line up the pillars. Then add material in the roof to connect the parts again)

If you’re working with glass or fiber, I’m sure there are examples of this on YouTube. Heck, probably with aluminum too.

This video isn’t totally related, as he is splashing an existing hood for a plug. But, it’s a good detail on how to layup a part from it. (The company may also have plug-making videos using foam)

https://youtu.be/UgKvDw1E60E

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

You guys are dangerous, LOL. You have no idea how many times I've started something only to go "wow, that's a good idea" and start over.

Those are good idea's and they will be plan B if I can't find a nose bowl I can make work.

Sent from my [device_name] using SuperCub.Org mobile app

I landed in St. Marie's Idaho, Southeast of Spokane and there was a guy there who routinely flies an experimental PA-18 or 12, with an Continental 225. Really gorgeous small town. Maybe 8 hangers and an F100 ? windsock that moved with the slightest breeze. Plus, 2 airport cars, free of charge 24/7. The guy was on the East end of the hangers and was a serious craftsman. I'd bet the airport manager would know who it is. Really nice place to spend the night and 100LL !

Jonny o

Carbon Concepts recently used my original nose bowl as a plug to make a mold to make me a new carbon fiber nose bowl. The oil cooler holes were blanked out so I could move them a little for better clearance. The final product is stronger, stiffer, and holy crap lighter. Good workmanship and a fair price. Nice!

IMG_0783.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0783.JPG
    IMG_0783.JPG
    219.2 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:
Carbon Concepts recently used my original nose bowl as a plug to make a mold to make me a new carbon fiber nose bowl. The oil cooler holes were blanked out so I could move them a little for better clearance. The final product is stronger, stiffer, and holy crap lighter. Good workmanship and a fair price. Nice!

View attachment 46650

I’m happier now. I thought you were leaving oil cooler locations. They definitely needed to smidge over a bit. Lots going on up front there!!

Back