• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Turbulator tapes on Cessna wing struts

Anchorage, AK
Someone saw these tapes when I was talking about using glider tapes for elevator gap seals on a PA-12. (Which I don’t do or recommend) They PM’d me and asked if I’ve ever used them on a Cessna wing strut. Short answer is no but it got me thinking. What’s the fastest 180/185 out there? I would guess it’s an early 180 with 300 hp, spinning a light 3 bladed prop, small tires and a Snyder kit. Gap seal would certainly help.

http://wingsandwheels.com/tapes-seals/turbulator-dimple-tape.html

Someone saw these tapes when I was talking about using glider tapes for elevator gap seals on a PA-12. (Which I don’t do or recommend) They PM’d me and asked if I’ve ever used them on a Cessna wing strut. Short answer is no but it got me thinking. What’s the fastest 180/185 out there? I would guess it’s an early 180 with 300 hp, spinning a light 3 bladed prop, small tires and a Snyder kit. Gap seal would certainly help.

I thought 2 blade props were typically the winner in the speed category?

Has anyone ever done an experimental Skywagon with a Soloy turbine?
I thought Mike Vivion had mentioned one once upon a time...

Joe Soloy’s flight test airplane to prove the Soloy Turbine Pac was a 185. After flight test, I heard the airplane was reconfigured to a recip engine. Soloy never certified the 185 with the Turbine Pac.

MTV

Joe Soloy’s flight test airplane to prove the Soloy Turbine Pac was a 185. After flight test, I heard the airplane was reconfigured to a recip engine. Soloy never certified the 185 with the Turbine Pac.

MTV

Bet it really hauled the mail!

The fastest straight and level speed I've seen in my 180 was 185 mph. That was a break-in flight with the new Pponk and 86" 3-blade. The plane had 800s or 850s and a standard 8" tailwheel. No speed mods. It was difficult to find smooth air to break it in by running it hard but I still remember that day. Overcast ceiling at about 1600'. I did laps over the Big Su from the power lines at the beach to the Parks highway bridge and back. These days with big tires 145mph is my normal. I could get 150 if I wanted but the fuel curve doesn't justify it.

My friends with equal engines and 88" 2-blades aren't any faster. They're lighter. Mine is smoother. They're all good.

Yours could be lighter, too, with a nice MT 3-blade. Heh! :peeper:peeper
The fastest straight and level speed I've seen in my 180 was 185 mph. That was a break-in flight with the new Pponk and 86" 3-blade. The plane had 800s or 850s and a standard 8" tailwheel. No speed mods. It was difficult to find smooth air to break it in by running it hard but I still remember that day. Overcast ceiling at about 1600'. I did laps over the Big Su from the power lines at the beach to the Parks highway bridge and back. These days with big tires 145mph is my normal. I could get 150 if I wanted but the fuel curve doesn't justify it.

My friends with equal engines and 88" 2-blades aren't any faster. They're lighter. Mine is smoother. They're all good.

They need to name this one "Seriously Ugly", at least from this angle.

turbine C185.jpg

Attachments

• turbine C185.jpg
    turbine C185.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 207
Back