• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Installing skis - jack options?

First time i heard that was kn a jobsite in 1988, never forgot it.
Funny how a catchy phrase can help with remembering.

Lots of great ideas. I built a wing jack out of an old bumper jack from a mid 70s car. Picked it up at the junk yard for $20. Works great. Your welcome to borrow it if you want.

IMG_0463 2.jpg IMG_0460.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0463 2.jpg
    IMG_0463 2.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_0460.jpg
    IMG_0460.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 282
I picked up a small used ATV lift for 100 bucks. A 4x4 between the gear and whole front is off the floor. Also good for lifting the tail when working on tailwheel.
DENNY

This was my solution for supporting the airplane inside a T-hangar..(flat tire would cause wing damage)IMG_0015.jpgIMG_0016.jpgIMG_0019.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0015.jpg
    IMG_0015.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_0016.jpg
    IMG_0016.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_0019.jpg
    IMG_0019.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 227
Took a fair bit longer than planned, but I finally got the skis on today. Thanks for the help, gentlemen! Will post a picture or three once I get out.

Took a fair bit longer than planned, but I finally got the skis on today. Thanks for the help, gentlemen! Will post a picture or three once I get out.

I always like to lift the tail up at the angle it flys and lift a wing till the ski comes off the ground to check my work before flying.

Glenn

Seen all SC photos here....
Cessnas are a bit of a different story.
I've made & used a couple different "jack points" which slide onto / clamp onto the gear leg,
and a bottle jack or floor jack is used to hoist the airplane up.
None were all that satisfactory.

What I do now is use a nylon bike-binder strap as a choker around the gear leg,
and raise it up with the engine hoist I finally broke down and bought last year.
Works pretty good, and no scuffing the paint on the gear leg or having to knock the tapered jackpoint off with a hammer.

DSCN0384.jpg

This method is about as safe as you can get, and cheap to build. I already had the chain hoist for float change-over.

Attachments

• DSCN0384.jpg
    DSCN0384.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 272
Last edited:
IMG_1717.JPG
OSHA approved hanger crane.
7500lb rated soft strap
2500 lb Marine winch
3-pulleys
1 engine leveler
2 - .5” bolts

Worked like a charm and under $250

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_1717.JPG
    IMG_1717.JPG
    422.7 KB · Views: 245
Seen all SC photos here....
Cessnas are a bit of a different story.
I've made & used a couple different "jack points" which slide onto / clamp onto the gear leg,
and a bottle jack or floor jack is used to hoist the airplane up.
None were all that satisfactory.

What I do now is use a nylon bike-binder strap as a choker around the gear leg,
and raise it up with the engine hoist I finally broke down and bought last year.
Works pretty good, and no scuffing the paint on the gear leg or having to knock the tapered jackpoint off with a hammer.

Engine hoist and strap guy here, too. My pacer has one-piece spring aluminum gear and I was NOT comfortable jacking from below.

S2D Can you show me how the dolly's where made I need to make a set , in order to get my plane out of the hanger I will post some pics soon with my clearance issues

$15 Wally world bottlejack works fine on the cub gear. Little scissor Jack on champ gear
couple 4x4s and 2x6's come in handy for cribbing when going from bushwheels to straight skis.

fb94037b79fd19d227a652f6abecaf8c.jpg
4918863408fcf4907c8c27d9cc1fb317.jpg

I really like Glenns idea for my main hangar. may have to build one.

This seems like an appropriate thread for this photo I just saw.
I have used bunks like what appears to be on this engine lift a lot for boats, and it disperses the load but I’d think you’d want to know you’re pushing on the wing spar.

Necessity is the mother of invention.
IMG_3118.JPG

Transmitted from my FlightPhone

Attachments

• IMG_3118.JPG
    IMG_3118.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 183
There’s a jack under the gear box as well. I presume the wing jack was to stabilize it? Pulling the gear leg would require more stability than a tire change or ski swap.

S2D Can you show me how the dolly's where made I need to make a set , in order to get my plane out of the hanger I will post some pics soon with my clearance issues

Sorry, didn't see this til today. I'll see if I can find them.

Back