• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Installing skis - jack options?

Brian M

FRIEND
Eagle River, AK
I've been wanting to get on skis for a couple years now, so I figure it's time to get this figured out. The skis I have have been on this plane before, so hopefully rigging them is easy enough (with an experienced set of eyes to double check everything for me), but I haven't yet figured out the first step. How do I go about jacking the plane up without putting tension on parts that shouldn't have such direct pressure? I don't own any specialized jacks (wing jacks, etc.). Is there a simple solution here, or do I need to rig up something a bit more complex to do this right? I'm flying a PA-18 and installing straight skis.

This isn’t the one I made, mine is very similar but height adjustable and has a removable handle. Works great on my taylorcraft and I’m sure it could be modified to work on a cub.
1919f8a47fc07786ae69805fea43d75f.png

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Almost any Jack will work with normal tires, just pad the top of the Jack where it touches the axle. But with wide tires or skis it tough because they get in the way of the jack base. Made this a few years ago and it works great. If I made it again it would be a 4x4 or steel tube

Glenn

Last edited:
Similar to what Glenn does, I'm probably a little less detailed about making a jack. I think Cruiser did this first. A 2x4 cut to length to fit the span, and the bush wheels bugle out so you have to put one end up and then the other to get it against the inner axle stubs. I just use a lightweight floor jack on one side, lifting the 2x4 as close to the tire/ski as possible, swap tire/ski, then set it down, and move it to the other side and repeat. Only one side is in the air at a time, stable and chocked.

Correction : I did use a sharpie and write "save for skis" on the 2x4. Must be the detail in me.

2x6 notched at the end the width of lift strut. wedge between lift strut wing attach point and ground until the tire is off the ground.

Note: only put the 2x6 at the wing attach point.

It helps if one person lifts the side of the plane by pushing at the attach points while the other puts the 2x in place.

Another idea is to lift the plane by the engine mount or float rings if you have a hoist. Beware- do not lift by the engine lift hoop.

I've always just used a small bottle jack on the axle stub on the inside of the gear leg. There was enough room to install the Landes 2500's. Tie the tail wheel down, chock the opposite tire and lift. Don't forget to use this as an opportunity to check and grease your wheel bearings before you need to put the wheels back on.

Ive wanted to make a crossbar with scissor jacks like shown in Cubdriver2's post. Maybe someday.

Jim

For years I just used one of those $29 portable floor jacks sold at Wally World when changing my GY 25x4 to skis and back. But with the 31s the bulge was in the way and I needed something else. Now when I pull it back into the hangar on skis I slide the double jack under and just lift the skis off the floor so they don't frost up like when they touch the floor. Quick, stable and simple.

This one has a big stable footprint https://www.ebay.com/itm/Torin-Big-R....c100855.m4779

Glenn

Last edited:
$15 Wally world bottlejack works fine on the cub gear. Little scissor Jack on champ gear
couple 4x4s and 2x6's come in handy for cribbing when going from bushwheels to straight skis.

fb94037b79fd19d227a652f6abecaf8c.jpg
4918863408fcf4907c8c27d9cc1fb317.jpg

I really like Glenns idea for my main hangar. may have to build one.

Last edited:
when the weather is like it is now I've switched back and forth 3 times in the same weekend so I need something quick.

Glenn

Takes Stewart about 3 minutes I bet to switch wheels to skis there... notice the hydraulics?;-)

Buy my Aero Wheel Skis for these times of year, then only go to straits when it gets deep... well, any conversation with you gets deep but you know what I mean8):p;-)

A bottle jack or floor jack pushing up on a 2x4 that spans from inboard axle to inboard axle of the gear leg.

place jack near the axle/gear leg on the side you intend to lift.

Make sure aircraft is untied and chock the side yu arent lifting.

Mark or paint the board so yu dont cut it up for some other project.

.....as described by several others here.

Wish I had a photo to show how simple. pretty standard and simple method. secure enough for a quick change, but I mever walk away from it or get body parts under it. watch out that you dont bump your shoulder on the tailpipe!

One can over engineer anything. I Usually do. But unless the aircraft rolls/moves forward or backward, or someone kicks the 2x4 out, the wood doesn't move. Jack pad keeps it from rolling, and wheel chocks keep it from sliding. If your airplane is so light that it will slide easily on the southern yellow pine, put your fuel bags in the front seat to hold it down.

Wood handles easy. It's soft enough to bounce around in the vehicle with the jack. It's good for taking notes on, as it's too big to lose. You can use it to keep your knees off the ground while finishing up the change over, although a piece of carpet or cardboard works good for that too. If the Airport Lizards come around because they see a Pilot/Mechanic working, you can drive them off with it as a big stick. If the hangar door comes off the track, lean it up against the wall and you can walk up it to fix the door. If your skis are frozen down because someone left them sitting on slush, you can use it and a rock as a good lever to pry them free. In a bind, cut it up for blocking. Getting cold, burn it for heat.

pb :)

That's the quickset way................if your not doing it alone

Glenn

Actually, an electric hoist from the roof of a hangar, spreader bar to lift eyes and pick.

Bungees? Easy, lift it higher and let the tip come up, attach, then let the floor push on the tail as you lower the plane and she sets down for the rear attach fitting to be easy!

Let me add: it is also possible to go from floats to skis with this method, while listening to Jimmy Buffet and staying warm and dry!

Atlee sells a modified hi-lift jack and large base plate with spikes—little spendy but works great and is solid. Lift wing at end of strut at the stock tie down ring

Excellent! Thanks for all the advice. I'm fairly sure I can get it figured out from this point.

Geez Brian, don’t stop us. We can beat a dead horse a really long time. [emoji23]

Since I just swapped again, I timed it.
(No hubcaps)
IMG_0494.JPG

IMG_0495.JPG

IMG_0498.JPG

IMG_0497.JPG

IMG_0499.JPG

Transmitted from my FlightPhone

Attachments

• IMG_0494.JPG
    IMG_0494.JPG
    152.7 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_0495.JPG
    IMG_0495.JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_0498.JPG
    IMG_0498.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_0497.JPG
    IMG_0497.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_0499.JPG
    IMG_0499.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 189
nice low profile setup Tim!

Dave That winch was on a DC 3 arm that sings out to load stuff. the freight company sold out and had this winch sitting in a corner of a big hangar. I knew the owner and talked him out of it for $50. It,s 24 volt but I just use a 12 volt jump pack, works great.

Tim

Back