• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Spar repair

kiwicubber

PATRON
Te Kowhai, New Zealand
Hi,
we are rebuilding a 1957 PA-18A and on inspecting the wing we have found a repair on the front spar, outboard of the strut attach fittings. Is this likely to be a legal repair, perhaps under a Piper repair scheme, or AC 43?

cheers image.jpegimage.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    210.3 KB · Views: 631
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    233.6 KB · Views: 312
Hi,
we are rebuilding a 1957 PA-18A and on inspecting the wing we have found a repair on the front spar, outboard of the strut attach fittings. Is this likely to be a legal repair?

Yes it could be a legal repair. Not sure how wide a splice has to be, so it may or may not be kosher.

You in New Zealand? Was that a US registered Cub at one time? If so you can order the CD from the FAA covering past 337’s. It looks legal from a quick glance but would need an associated 337 in the US.

Looks right for Piper Service Memo 3a to me. I tried to post a link, but the site wont let me post it..... You can go to google and just type in Piper Service Memo 3a and it will take you right to it.

John

If so you can order the CD from the FAA covering past 337’s. It looks legal from a quick glance but would need an associated 337 in the US.

Just a small technical caveat.

Although a major repair needs to have a 337 filed, not finding one for a previous repair does not make it illegal.

Thanks very much for all the replies guys. ��
i have downloaded a copy of the Service Memo and it fits perfectly with what we have.

Just a small technical caveat.

Although a major repair needs to have a 337 filed, not finding one for a previous repair does not make it illegal.

The repair may be OK, however the required documents as identified in 91.417(a)(1) are to be maintained per 91.417(b)(1). Since the content of that record is identified in 43.9, and 43 Appendix B, for the Aircraft to legally operate, the 337 is required as part of the Aircraft records unless the maintenance (repair) was performed by a Repair Station. In that case, while not required it is a good idea to keep a copy of the Repair Station work order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Educate me.

1. Work done by a Certified Repair Station as noted.

2. Wing installed from another Certified Plane.

Only Major Alteration paperwork has to follow the alteration to another airplane if parts are swapped. Major Repair paperwork does not.

Since the content of that record is identified in 43.9, and 43 Appendix B, for the Aircraft to legally operate, the 337 is required as part of the Aircraft records unless the maintenance (repair) was performed by a Repair Station.

Only Major Alteration 337's must be kept with the aircraft records as long as the alteration is installed. Major Repair 337's only NEED to be kept for one year.
The FAA should have copies of any Major Repair done to that airplane, however , they won't have a record in that file of major repairs done to parts that were on a different airplane and subsequently installed on that airplane.

Only Major Alteration 337's must be kept with the aircraft records as long as the alteration is installed. Major Repair 337's only NEED to be kept for one year.
The FAA should have copies of any Major Repair done to that airplane, however , they won't have a record in that file of major repairs done to parts that were on a different airplane and subsequently installed on that airplane.

FAA won’t have records of major repairs done by repair stations, and the repair station is only required to keep the record for 2 years.

For all the airplanes I’ve assembled from parts of others (and it has been a lot), if there were known major repairs or Major alterations on the donor components, I would transfer those records to the surviving Aircraft records.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For John's post: Piper SM-3A from Univair:

Gary

That's exactly what I tried to do, but guess I wasn't holding my foot just right off the floor? hahaha Thanks Gary!!

OK....what's the deal? I just tried to answer with a quote and this is the message I get...same as last night! :(

1. Post denied. New posts are limited by number of URLs it may contain and checked if it doesn't contain forbidden words.

John

1. Work done by a Certified Repair Station as noted.

2. Wing installed from another Certified Plane.

Only Major Alteration paperwork has to follow the alteration to another airplane if parts are swapped. Major Repair paperwork does not.

Ahh never thought of that. Thanks for the education!

Neat thread. I had all the J-3 bulletins - Piper would send them for free at the slightest provocation. I have long since misplaced both sets sent to me in the 1960s.

Anybody aware of a similar bulletin for aileron spar repair?

Neat thread. I had all the J-3 bulletins - Piper would send them for free at the slightest provocation. I have long since misplaced both sets sent to me in the 1960s.

Anybody aware of a similar bulletin for aileron spar repair?

No bulletin, but part of crosswinds STC for extending the flap inboard. The splice faces OPPOSITE(flanges forward) and I think 6 rivets on a side of splice, make it so it doesn’t interfere with leading edge shape. Flanges of splice do not get riveted.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Thanks. I was just going to put a plate in there, but the flanges will add to the strength, and the leading edge has to come off anyway.

Back