Results 1 to 21 of 21

Thread: Spar repair

  1. #1
    kiwicubber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Te Kowhai, New Zealand
    Posts
    140
    Post Thanks / Like

    Spar repair

    Hi,
    we are rebuilding a 1957 PA-18A and on inspecting the wing we have found a repair on the front spar, outboard of the strut attach fittings. Is this likely to be a legal repair, perhaps under a Piper repair scheme, or AC 43?

    cheers Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	88 
Size:	210.3 KB 
ID:	34966Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	89 
Size:	233.6 KB 
ID:	34967
    Bill and Neroli.
    www.supercub.co.nz

  2. #2
    S2D's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    4,053
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwicubber View Post
    Hi,
    we are rebuilding a 1957 PA-18A and on inspecting the wing we have found a repair on the front spar, outboard of the strut attach fittings. Is this likely to be a legal repair?
    Yes it could be a legal repair. Not sure how wide a splice has to be, so it may or may not be kosher.
    I may be wrong but that probably won't stop me from arguing about it.
    Thanks kiwicubber thanked for this post

  3. #3
    Charlie Longley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Arlington, WA
    Posts
    525
    Post Thanks / Like
    You in New Zealand? Was that a US registered Cub at one time? If so you can order the CD from the FAA covering past 337’s. It looks legal from a quick glance but would need an associated 337 in the US.
    Thanks kiwicubber, BradleyG thanked for this post

  4. #4
    Hardtailjohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Marion, MT
    Posts
    696
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks right for Piper Service Memo 3a to me. I tried to post a link, but the site wont let me post it..... You can go to google and just type in Piper Service Memo 3a and it will take you right to it.

    John
    Thanks kiwicubber thanked for this post
    Likes S2D liked this post

  5. #5
    S2D's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    4,053
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Longley View Post
    If so you can order the CD from the FAA covering past 337’s. It looks legal from a quick glance but would need an associated 337 in the US.
    Just a small technical caveat.

    Although a major repair needs to have a 337 filed, not finding one for a previous repair does not make it illegal.
    I may be wrong but that probably won't stop me from arguing about it.
    Thanks kiwicubber thanked for this post
    Likes Hardtailjohn liked this post

  6. #6
    BC12D-4-85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Fairbanks, AK.
    Posts
    1,584
    Post Thanks / Like
    For John's post: Piper SM-3A from Univair: http://www.univair.com/content/PIP_SM003A.pdf

    Find it under Resources: http://www.univair.com/resources/

    Gary
    Thanks kiwicubber thanked for this post
    Likes S2D, Steve Pierce, Hardtailjohn liked this post

  7. #7
    Charlie Longley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Arlington, WA
    Posts
    525
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by S2D View Post
    Just a small technical caveat.

    Although a major repair needs to have a 337 filed, not finding one for a previous repair does not make it illegal.
    Educate me.
    Thanks kiwicubber thanked for this post

  8. #8
    kiwicubber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Te Kowhai, New Zealand
    Posts
    140
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks very much for all the replies guys. ��
    i have downloaded a copy of the Service Memo and it fits perfectly with what we have.
    Bill and Neroli.
    www.supercub.co.nz
    Likes Steve Pierce liked this post

  9. #9

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    459
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by S2D View Post
    Just a small technical caveat.

    Although a major repair needs to have a 337 filed, not finding one for a previous repair does not make it illegal.
    The repair may be OK, however the required documents as identified in 91.417(a)(1) are to be maintained per 91.417(b)(1). Since the content of that record is identified in 43.9, and 43 Appendix B, for the Aircraft to legally operate, the 337 is required as part of the Aircraft records unless the maintenance (repair) was performed by a Repair Station. In that case, while not required it is a good idea to keep a copy of the Repair Station work order.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks kiwicubber thanked for this post

  10. #10
    S2D's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    4,053
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Longley View Post
    Educate me.
    1. Work done by a Certified Repair Station as noted.

    2. Wing installed from another Certified Plane.

    Only Major Alteration paperwork has to follow the alteration to another airplane if parts are swapped. Major Repair paperwork does not.
    I may be wrong but that probably won't stop me from arguing about it.
    Thanks kiwicubber, Charlie Longley, CharlieN thanked for this post
    Likes mike mcs repair, Hardtailjohn liked this post

  11. #11
    S2D's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    4,053
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dgapilot View Post
    Since the content of that record is identified in 43.9, and 43 Appendix B, for the Aircraft to legally operate, the 337 is required as part of the Aircraft records unless the maintenance (repair) was performed by a Repair Station.
    Only Major Alteration 337's must be kept with the aircraft records as long as the alteration is installed. Major Repair 337's only NEED to be kept for one year.
    The FAA should have copies of any Major Repair done to that airplane, however , they won't have a record in that file of major repairs done to parts that were on a different airplane and subsequently installed on that airplane.
    I may be wrong but that probably won't stop me from arguing about it.
    Thanks kiwicubber thanked for this post
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

  12. #12

    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    459
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by S2D View Post
    Only Major Alteration 337's must be kept with the aircraft records as long as the alteration is installed. Major Repair 337's only NEED to be kept for one year.
    The FAA should have copies of any Major Repair done to that airplane, however , they won't have a record in that file of major repairs done to parts that were on a different airplane and subsequently installed on that airplane.
    FAA won’t have records of major repairs done by repair stations, and the repair station is only required to keep the record for 2 years.

    For all the airplanes I’ve assembled from parts of others (and it has been a lot), if there were known major repairs or Major alterations on the donor components, I would transfer those records to the surviving Aircraft records.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks kiwicubber thanked for this post

  13. #13
    Hardtailjohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Marion, MT
    Posts
    696
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BC12D-4-85 View Post
    For John's post: Piper SM-3A from Univair:

    Gary
    That's exactly what I tried to do, but guess I wasn't holding my foot just right off the floor? hahaha Thanks Gary!!

    OK....what's the deal? I just tried to answer with a quote and this is the message I get...same as last night!

    1. Post denied. New posts are limited by number of URLs it may contain and checked if it doesn't contain forbidden words.



    John

  14. #14
    Charlie Longley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Arlington, WA
    Posts
    525
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by S2D View Post
    1. Work done by a Certified Repair Station as noted.

    2. Wing installed from another Certified Plane.

    Only Major Alteration paperwork has to follow the alteration to another airplane if parts are swapped. Major Repair paperwork does not.
    Ahh never thought of that. Thanks for the education!
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

  15. #15
    WhiskeyMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West Boxford MA
    Posts
    875
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is that a Piper spar splice kit? If so, do a 337 to account for it, "by persons unknown etc."
    Likes hotrod180 liked this post

  16. #16
    Charlie Longley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Arlington, WA
    Posts
    525
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyMike View Post
    Is that a Piper spar splice kit? If so, do a 337 to account for it, "by persons unknown etc."
    He’s in Kiwiland

  17. #17
    Steve Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Graham, TX
    Posts
    18,649
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyMike View Post
    Is that a Piper spar splice kit? If so, do a 337 to account for it, "by persons unknown etc."
    LOL, you have a lot of experience with that.
    Steve Pierce

    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    6,735
    Post Thanks / Like
    Neat thread. I had all the J-3 bulletins - Piper would send them for free at the slightest provocation. I have long since misplaced both sets sent to me in the 1960s.

    Anybody aware of a similar bulletin for aileron spar repair?

  19. #19
    Steve Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Graham, TX
    Posts
    18,649
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just replacethe spar. The doubler I imagined interferred with the ribs or the leading edge.
    Steve Pierce

    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

  20. #20
    www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    chugiak AK
    Posts
    10,333
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bob turner View Post
    Neat thread. I had all the J-3 bulletins - Piper would send them for free at the slightest provocation. I have long since misplaced both sets sent to me in the 1960s.

    Anybody aware of a similar bulletin for aileron spar repair?
    No bulletin, but part of crosswinds STC for extending the flap inboard. The splice faces OPPOSITE(flanges forward) and I think 6 rivets on a side of splice, make it so it doesn’t interfere with leading edge shape. Flanges of splice do not get riveted.


    Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

  21. #21

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    6,735
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I was just going to put a plate in there, but the flanges will add to the strength, and the leading edge has to come off anyway.

Similar Threads

  1. J-3/Wag Aero Wing. Wood spar vs metal spar differences.
    By iflyforpie in forum Super Cub Sick Bay
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-27-2013, 10:22 PM
  2. J3 wood spar repair ideas
    By planenut in forum Super Cub Repair Facilities
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 11-27-2009, 08:27 AM
  3. Spar Repair
    By Flyin S in forum Modifications
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-16-2005, 03:14 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •