• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Something to watch with your morning coffee.

Amazingly cool. I wonder if cold water is like cold air to us adding to performance

Glenn

Very much so.

It takes a small temperature change to show a dramatic difference in performance on the water.
In the ski world we have “slow water“ and “fast water”, which really just relates to how high your ski or feet ride in the water.
A couple of us (one is a chemist) tried to determine the density differences with temperature and found it never correlated to the difference that is felt, but there is without a doubt quite a difference. Barefooting in spring and fall you can run slower and stand taller, as the water is super hard.

Just like up wind and down wind passes, you have a hard time getting the ski slowed down for a turn with a tailwind.

Transmitted from my FlightPhone

Very much so.

It takes a small temperature change to show a dramatic difference in performance on the water.

I recall from my physical chemistry days that the density of water is greatest at 39F. Go colder and it gets less dense, go warmer and it also gets less dense. That's why at the bottom of deep mountain lakes, without a lot of circulation, it stays 39F year round.

And surface tension goes up as temp goes down.

Ah yes! The chemist friend seemed to think that surface tension will have a lot more to do it then water density, but he didn’t have the data on that, and I didn’t bother to chase it down.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Very much so.

In the ski world we have “slow water“ and “fast water”, which really just relates to how high your ski or feet ride in the water.
A couple of us (one is a chemist) tried to determine the density differences with temperature and found it never correlated to the difference that is felt, but there is without a doubt quite a difference. Barefooting in spring and fall you can run slower and stand taller, as the water is super hard.

Just like up wind and down wind passes, you have a hard time getting the ski slowed down for a turn with a tailwind.

Going to have to respectfully call bs on this.
The added weight of a saturated 7 mil suit, gloves and hood, will negate any benefit you may gain from slightly denser water.
That sensation you describe as “dramatic difference in performance” stems from early onset hypothermia ;-)

Going to have to respectfully call bs on this.
The added weight of a saturated 7 mil suit, gloves and hood, will negate any benefit you may gain from slightly denser water.
That sensation you describe as “dramatic difference in performance” stems from early onset hypothermia ;-)

HAHAHAH! Well no wonder.

I don’t know about surfing ocean waves. But feel free to come ski with me during different seasons or on different bodies of water and you can feel the difference too! :)

Pb

All I know from 20+ years of sailing is that COLD water hurts more than warm water when a wave slaps you up side the head.

Last edited:
I just enjoyed the art. Both of surfing and photography. Chris Burkard should come to Alaska and chase the wind and kite surfers around Turnagain Arm. That would make some good photo opportunities. There's no prettier setting that I can think of.

Where's Dave Calkins? You still kite surfing? You should know what playing in cold water feels like?

The wetsuit is always on in Alaska. I am not sure I can tell the difference cold to warm water, except...........

One of my best days was 2 days before Christmas some years ago, air temp 41F, water temp 41F. Several of us had 2.5 hours of great rides, all time! 2 guys didnt last 30 minutes. This day was an hour out of Seward at Bear Glacier on "Viking", a six pax charter provided by a local Snowboard shop owner.

Another great day, sans wetsuit, was Chuns Reef, just West of Pipeline on Oahus North shore. Last day of a 2 week vacation. All time! Even the Mokes were saying ..."...nice late drop Brudda..". That is all time for a white boy like me. Warm water!!!

I think the attitude is what makes performance good, whether anger motivated, or fear motivated, or thankfulness motivated.

Those guys in the short film are world class surfers. It seems like getting air and reentering from a launch is standard fare nowadays!

I can speak to salt water vs fresh water though. Learned barefoot water starts in salt water channel that served as a cool water source for a power plant on the west coast. Rude awakening when I took my newfound talent to a fresh water venue.
Dave, Mokes are a tough audience, you must have been killin it out there.
all I’ve ever heard them say was “get outta da water howlie”

Oliver, Chuns Reef aint Pipe, localism-wise, yeah?

Also, it helps when I am already in the water before dawn and catching waves when they paddle out at first light. Also, Those Tiger dorsals nailed to the telephone pole by the highway are real and knowing a white boy like me walked past them to get to the water must be worth some cred. But the peak at Chuns at double overhead sets up a rush enough for me.

I dont think cold water increases surfing performance, so many variables in board shape and riding style and rider weight are in play.

Back