• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Bendix Scintilla SF4RN-8 mag overhauller

MT12

FRIEND
Montana
Does anyone know a good/reputable person or shop to do an overhaul on a couple of Bendix Scintilla SF4RN-8 mags off of a Continental A65. A buddy is building a Pietenpol and needs his mags redone. Thanks in advance.

Doug

I rebuilt my SF 4's myself about 35 years ago---got parts from Lou Leibie. Not sure if that is possible anymore but found this on another forum. Al Marcucci at Savage Magneto in Hayward California.

My last pair that I had overhauled by Al at Savage were about $800 each 10 years ago, is he even still alive? I thought he was like 80 years old back then. He was a great guy when I last talked to him, but he sure had a bone to pick with the FAA...I put about 150 hours on those mags before I had to go with impulse coupling mags. Trying to hand prop without impulse couplings alone on a back country strip got old quick. I was glad I put slicks on before Champion bought them and raised the prices. Tim

I just finished getting my Bendix Scintilla SF4RN-8 magnetos overhauled by Al at Savage Magneto. The old ignition harness checks okay but its days are limited and I'd like to replace it with new. Al is unsure if any still sells a harness for these old but still fantastic magnetos anymore. Can anyone recommend a supplier? Thx.

I just finished getting my Bendix Scintilla SF4RN-8 magnetos overhauled by Al at Savage Magneto. The old ignition harness checks okay but its days are limited and I'd like to replace it with new. Al is unsure if any still sells a harness for these old but still fantastic magnetos anymore. Can anyone recommend a supplier? Thx.

napa autoparts carries the 7mm wire, the ends are available from fresno. You will have to solder on the little brass end and the AN clip on for the M41E plugs if going unshielded. Al from Savage must be about 90 years old now, he was in his late 70's decades ago it seems like. My last mags from him cost me 800 each...

Back