Thread: Straight tail ski

Post Thanks / Like

Straight tail ski

I have a dedicated 3200 tail wheel for Burl’s tail ski. When I put the skis on last month I found my tail wheel needed some maintenance. Not wanting to miss some ski flying time I removed the wheel and made a filler plate from .050” aluminum.

I took care care of the wheel problem last week and reinstalled it in the ski. I flew with it yesterday with the wheel in place and I sure noticed a difference in drag. A straight tail ski is like a free-castering tail wheel. Until you try it you don’t realize the difference.

It it has been at least 10 years since I flew without a tail ski of any kind so I don’t remember well what that was like. But I do remember that a tail ski was better.

Who knows maybe I will remove the wheel again? If I were to do it all over, I’d make the plate out of .125” UHMV.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	79B9FC87-2846-47DD-B486-A713FFAF9B34.jpeg 
Views:	48 
Size:	244.4 KB 
ID:	34667

Name:	E338464E-B6E0-4C73-B259-F9B845B4E844.jpeg 
Views:	45 
Size:	218.9 KB 
ID:	34668

This floor creeper worked well for moving it in and out of the hangar.

Name:	68FC4E1F-F051-4EBF-8302-BB400D95698C.jpeg 
Views:	39 
Size:	240.7 KB 
ID:	34669

I cut cut a piece of 1/2” conduit to slip over the axle bolt so the nut could be tightened up snug.
    "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." Wyatt Earp
    Likes jrussl liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    It'd be pretty simple to make a plate that would slide in place under a deflated tire and would be held in place my reinflating the tire. Schneider skis used that method for their penetration skis, and Schneiders needed it.
    Thanks spinner2 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Also and a skag of some type for better steering. When my 90 Cub was outside all winter I had it on straight skis with a Landis 250 tail ski (dish with a skag) which helps in taxing and taking off in deep snow with the small engine Cub.

Post Thanks / Like
    No doubt that a straight tail ski will slide a bit better early on than a penetration ski, but the real key is to get that tail up out of the snow quickly. If you can live with a straight ski on the tail, that’s great.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice job ,keep us advised how it works in the field. I made my own too, heavy aluminum, and bronzed bushed small side pedestals. Used cable wire safety retainers just like you would on main skii. will try and post a pic
    If you get lost while flying, don't try hail a cop. Pick up the first railroad you find and hug it until you get somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartb View Post
    It'd be pretty simple to make a plate that would slide in place under a deflated tire and would be held in place my reinflating the tire. Schneider skis used that method for their penetration skis, and Schneiders needed it.
    I like that idea. Wondering though if Burl's ski was low enough to allow a plate to slip between the ski and an un-inflated tire, I got down on the floor creeper and took a look. Nope. The rim of the wheel is about 1/4" above the ski surface. Not enough room to work like that.

Name:	IMG_4738.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	76.6 KB 
ID:	34704

Post Thanks / Like
    Bummer. I’m busy enough that I haven’t installed my skis on the 180 yet. I’ll compare how the BBW version looks in that same profile. I think the BBW vesion has less drag in the snow so maybe that’s your answer. Its only money!
    Likes spinner2 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob, I thought I would add a skeg if I go back to the plate. Maybe one from UHMW with a bit of width so if it drags on the asphalt it'll wear fairly well. I'm sure I won't make anymore changes this winter.

Mike, as you know, take-offs with skis is an AOA game and there's a sweet-spot between getting the the right angle and avoiding drag with the tail. That's where I noticed the big difference with the straight ski. With the tail wheel and the penetration hole in the ski, dragging in heavy snow, that sweet-spot window narrowed considerably.