• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Stewart EkoClean and EcoEtch, then what?

Bart23Sept

Pittstown, NJ
Hi folks,

I've got a set of bare aluminum wing spars that need some protection before they're installed. Since I'm using Stewart for the covering I'd like to use their products under the fabric as well.

After the EkoClean and the EkoEtch I can either use the EkoPrime or the EkoPoxy. The spars won't touch the fabric at all so I'm wondering if I can use a self etching zinc chromate primer over the EkoEtch figuring the self etching primer won't be as good as using the EkoEtch first to prep the aluminum surface.

I'm also not set up yet to spray (compressor, dryer, gun, etc) so the spray cans would allow me to get the spars coated next week on the one warm day that is currently forecasted. If the spars get done I can start the reassembly.

Maybe I should just wash with the EkoClean and then go right to the rattle can self etching primer?

Thanks!
Bart

Hi Marty,

Funny you sent that link as I'm already halfway through that video. I'm asking about getting interior wing parts just through a prime coat before the wings can be covered. Can a self etching primer be put over aluminum that has already been washed and etched with EkoClean and EkoEtch? Or should I just skip the EkoEtch and let the primer do it's own etching?

Is that you doing the work in the video?

Hi Marty,

Funny you sent that link as I'm already halfway through that video. I'm asking about getting interior wing parts just through a prime coat before the wings can be covered. Can a self etching primer be put over aluminum that has already been washed and etched with EkoClean and EkoEtch? Or should I just skip the EkoEtch and let the primer do it's own etching?

Is that you doing the work in the video?
No, not me. The video's were done by the Stewart brothers before Andy came into the picture a couple years ago. My primary experience is in fabric. EkoClean is great stuff, I use it on most everything for cleaning. I would follow the procedure outlined in the video using EkoEtch and Ekoprime. Stay with what is tested and you can't go wrong.
Marty

the problem is i'm not quite ready to spray ekoprime yet and we've got a couple of warm days coming up at the end of the week. if i can prime my spars I'll be able to keep the project moving.
maybe i'll just use my POR15 degreaser and then go right to the self etching primer rattle cans. i ordered EkoClean and EkoEtch so if that comes before the weekend I'll use the EkoClean and the self etching primer just to get them done.

i don't even think the spars have to be primed but figure I might as well.

Bart. some guys are cringing and shaking thier heads to think you would rattle can those spars instead of encasing them in an epoxy that will last 300 years.

As yu said, the spars dont have to be primed.

I swore up and down I wasn't going to get sucked into trying to make a museum piece of my wings when the rest of my plane is more daily-driver quality. As much as possible I'm trying to just remove and replace the spars while doing practical upkeep while the wings are apart.

Andy from Stewart Systems got back to me and commented that EkoClean, followed by EkoEtch, and then my spray can Zinc Phosphate coating should be ok together. In looking around the site I see a lot of Cub wings with aluminum spars/ribs and no surface treatment at all so if the weather doesn't cooperate and allow me to spray next weekend the project is probably going to soldier on without the primer coat. Just is what it is. :)

Bart, Unless you live in a coastal sea salt/fog environment you will likely never see a need for the protection.

ja, so right. but some buyer years from now will look into the inspection hole and say, "zinc primer, so good" so it's probably worth the small effort to spray it on there. if it doesn't happen then we're still good.
:)

and the possibility exists that all of this discussion about moving forward will make me antsy and I'll start putting everything together before the weekend. i'm ready to get the first new spar into place and i'm waiting to see if I can spray this saturday......the waiting might get me to just move on before then!

Bart,
I you have the Ekoprime already, you can apply it on the spars with a foam brush. You can also apply Ekopoxy primer with a foam brush. The coverage takes a little practice but easy on the spars. Put on one light coat, let tack and then apply a second coat. There's no smell; put a tarp on the floor and do it in the warm house. When I first attended a Stewart System workshop, I brought my tail feathers with to the workshop. I used Ekopoxy primer, applied with a foam brush ........ I did the work in my motorhome! You don't need to wait till its warm to spray, bring it in the house! I keep a small container of Ekoprime, (single part) with a little art brush in the container, in my shop at all times. When I drill a hole for a nut plate or rivet, I brush in a little Ekoprime and than set the rivet. That way, no exposed metal edges. Point is, Ekoprime is so easy to use, and no smell.
Marty

Marty, is EkoPrime similar to zinc phosphate in that it coats and protects? i kinda got the impression it needed a top coat to be of any use. i'm not against using it, just thought it had to be sprayed and needed a top coat. if i can sponge it on then i'm all for it and will order it today.

Marty, I have a quart of EkoPrime that is five years old and never been opened. What is the real shelf life ? It says use within one year of purchase. Its always been in the house so has never been in a cold climate.

Kevin

Are there any substitute cleaners for EkoClean? I have a ventral fin to recover, here in my home where it's warm and I don't have much else to do because (the virus). I have fabric, glue and paint...no cleaner. Can I make this work or do I have to wait for an order to come in the mail? Thanks

My aircraft was 23 years old when I first recovered it. Spars, ribs, and most other aluminum was bare. Steel had a single coat of black something. Zero corrosion. My mechanic insisted on a fog coat of zinc chromate.

I did no prep - just shot that fog coat as directed and pressed on. Fifty years later - still no corrosion.

These things can corrode if left damp for a long time. If I was outside in Anchorage you bet I would worry about it. In a hangar? Nah - just assembled a wing that will be in a hangar the rest of its life - just put it together and covered it.

Cannot buy zinc chromate in California.

Are there any substitute cleaners for EkoClean? I have a ventral fin to recover, here in my home where it's warm and I don't have much else to do because (the virus). I have fabric, glue and paint...no cleaner. Can I make this work or do I have to wait for an order to come in the mail? Thanks

Are you talking about the fabric or the steel? You can clean the steel with alcohol. If your fabric is nice and clean, you can just seal it with ekobond diluted and get to work spraying. If you really need some ekoclean, I'm not that far from you.
John

Thank you. Starting with the steel. I did clean and zinc chromate it a few months ago. Just getting back to it now. I'll go over it with alcohol before sticking fabric on.

Back