• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Champion/ACA Owners....Anyone?

Bart23Sept

Pittstown, NJ
Hi folks,

New to the site in search of Stewart Systems info, I own a '68 Champion 7ECA.

Anyone else here with Champion or ACA aircraft? There's an active group on Facebook but forums sites are so much better! :)

Thanks,
Bart

I have a 1976 7GCBC, know a few other members who fly scouts. Are you doing a milman spar/leading edge conversion on your eca? Mine still has wood spars, post up some pics of that wing build

Hi A.

Yes, doing the Milman conversion, spars and leading edges. Wood spars on mine were fine but I hit a hawk and rather than spend money on the repair we decided to do the spar conversion and resolve the damage in the process. It's a really nice package and it's going fine so far. I'll post pics next time I log in from the laptop that has the photos on it.

Bart

Hi folks,

New to the site in search of Stewart Systems info, I own a '68 Champion 7ECA.

Anyone else here with Champion or ACA aircraft? There's an active group on Facebook but forums sites are so much better! :)

Thanks,
Bart

if you hang around here very long you will drink the koolaid and not look back
well, you will think about flying a plane with heat��
Former Scout person
jim
View attachment 34654
IMG951448.jpg

tapatalk_1512339010468.jpeg

View attachment 34656

Attachments

• IMG951448.jpg
    IMG951448.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 2,887
  • tapatalk_1512339010468.jpeg
    tapatalk_1512339010468.jpeg
    370 KB · Views: 2,617
Last edited:
I have a 1977 Super Decathlon with IFR panel, a kill switch to protect the instruments when upside down, and aluminum gear legs. Somebody near Petaluma covered it in 1992 with Ceconite/dope. I have yet to see a better fabric job - the guy is better than me!

This airplane is a perfect second aircraft for me. I fly the Cub every day, and the Dec once a week. I am in love!

I lament the near demise of the Aeronca forum. I need a source for the Dec that is as good as this forum is for Cubs and 180s. The Club forum is restricted, and I did not get much for my club dues.

Hi Bob,
You were a lot of help (at the J3 forums) as I was looking for a Cub before buying the Citabria back in 2016. That's a very nice Super D and I agree it's too bad the club forums aren't more active.
Bart

There's an active group on Facebook but forums sites are so much better! :)

I agree, seems like questions asked on Facebook get responces from all sorts. I run a Short Wing Piper website and we have a Facebook page. When questions get asked on FB I try and link a thread on the website in responce. The website willbe here and searchable for years to come and it seems to me that the people who participate on the websites have a more vested interest in the airplanes and better knowledge.

Welcome aboard. I use to maintain several Champs and Citabrias. My brother has a nice 7FC converted to 7EC Champ project. As far as information on Stewarts system I would search it here, lots of information. Try entering "Stewarts" in the Google search box on the home page. Works better than the search box in the right hand corner.

Thanks for the search tip Steve. As a former forums owner/host I usually bypass the search feature after a few tries since they're usually on the weak side but I'll try what you said.

Bart

You can also enter your word string followed by "site:supercub.org" in Google and get the same results as the search box on the home page.

Hi folks,

Anyone else here with Champion or ACA aircraft? :)

Thanks,
Bart

Why would anyone on a cub forum want a plane that flies faster, has a larger cabin, costs less, and the early one will out climb the J-3?;-)

There are a few great Champ owners on here, as well as Scouts and Bob with his Decath.

Funny how most everywhere the average guy on here goes there is a Scout or Champ with them... or should I say 'ahead'.:lol::p

I spent six months shopping for a Cub, had my heart set on a Cub for all of the usual reasons......and bought a 7ECA. But let's not go there, we're outnumbered here! lol

Last edited:
Needed more fuel, W&B, cruise speed, and MT prop for Canada and PNW. But, I like cubs for training and local flights. I love the people at ACA too!

Beaver Marsh:
IMG_5171.PNG

Oregon Lake:
IMG_5107.JPG

Glacier Bay, SE AK
IMG_4786.JPG

Abyss Lake, SE AK:
IMG_4774.JPG

Canada:
IMG_4557.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5171.PNG
    IMG_5171.PNG
    661.9 KB · Views: 581
  • IMG_5107.JPG
    IMG_5107.JPG
    241.8 KB · Views: 406
  • IMG_4786.JPG
    IMG_4786.JPG
    181.4 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_4774.JPG
    IMG_4774.JPG
    215.5 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_4557.jpg
    IMG_4557.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 250
The people at ACA are certainly nice and helpful. Prices are beyond my capability. A $30 landing gear bolt was $128 from them five years ago. They wanted a hundred bucks for a copy of a drawing!

I can understand - they have families to support. I just have to watch the budget.

I have seen all the published numbers from the manufactures which are usually very optimistic. I want to real world numbers, that is why I asked.

Real world numbers on amphibs? One pilot, enough ballast to get within envelope, 30 minutes of gas. Real operations ? Load it up and go?

My Decathlon on wheels carries me at 190, the Greek at 120, and enough gas to actually go somewhere, and it is at gross!

Husky.
Dad had a Scout he wanted to put amphibs on.
Uncle has a Scout

Last edited:
gotcha. how much of a difference would you expect between 8GCBC's numbers and what is published by Wipaire?

gotcha. how much of a difference would you expect between 8GCBC's numbers and what is published by Wipaire?

Actually I do not know, that is why I asked. I have had experience and have seen different numbers from "published" over the years on various mods including amphibs. When considering installing anything it is nice to know what the actual numbers others have experienced, it helps in the decision making process as to weather or not this is a mod I would like to do myself.

maybe shoot him a PM? or call Wipaire to see how close the real numbers come to what is published? How's the Husky with amphibs? Numbers work out OK?

Flew a buddy’s full IFR Husky on Amphibs a couple of years ago. When we got back, I asked him what the useful was. He grinned and said 320 pounds....... glad I asked after we got back....

maybe shoot him a PM? or call Wipaire to see how close the real numbers come to what is published? How's the Husky with amphibs? Numbers work out OK?

According to Wip's published numbers, about 600 pounds on my IFR equipped A1-C. Will know more when my buddy's A-1C that is going on amphibs this spring is weighed (not calculated but actually weighed).

Sorry to the original poster for the thread drift.

Todd Peterson who does the Katmai conversions on the C180 told me you never weigh a Cessna, always calculate it. If you weigh it you will lose useful load. I believe Piper is the same.

Back